"Americas Choice" Roaming

I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have 30 days
to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first priority. I
travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a "Verizon" or
"Extended network" displayed on the screen of my VX6100. Sometimes, but not
lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no service
area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I can't make a
call?
As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA
--
CorkyF

"Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
> choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have 30
> days to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first priority.
> I travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
> I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a "Verizon" or
> "Extended network" displayed on the screen of my VX6100. Sometimes, but
> not lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no
> service area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I
> can't make a call?
> As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
> want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA
> --
> CorkyF

When you're in a No Service area, the display on your phone says "No
Service" and if you try to make a call, it won't go. That's how you know;-)

Doc

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Roughrider50 wrote:

>I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
>choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have
>30 days to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first
>priority. I travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
>I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a
>"Verizon" or "Extended network" displayed on the screen of my
>VX6100. Sometimes, but not lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do
>I tell if I'm in a no service area? Do I get the Phone with a slash
>or do I find out when I can't make a call?
>As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the
>way I want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA

"No roaming" with the National Singlerate plan meant that Verizon
would pick up the tab if you were out in the boondocks, but with
the new AC plan you'll simply have no service in those roaming areas
that previously had the flashing triangle. If the phone absolutely,
positively has to work "everywhere", then stay with your old NSR
plan even if it does have fewer minutes. On the other hand, your
observations confirm the fact that the AC network is pretty extensive
and will more than likely fulfill your needs. YMMV.

--
Jafo

"Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:iJHje.159488
Sometimes, but not
> lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no service
> area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I can't make a
> call?
> As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
> want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA
> --
> CorkyF

Just to add some fuel to the fire.. Since there is no roaming on the "No
Roam" America's Choice plan...I don't think you will get the flashing
triangle since that means you are roaming. (Or is that a solid triangle that
means roaming?!) Did you get the flashing triangle on the current plan or
the old plan? I'm under the impression that your phone will say "Verizon"
or "Extended Network" or "No Service" only. Since there is no roaming in
the plan, the phone now will say no service where it used to roam.

Bob

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Bob A wrote:

>Since there is no roaming in the plan, the phone now will say
>no service where it used to roam.

Makes a good paperweight, though. :)

--
Jafo

Verizon has Native Coverage or a Roaming Agreement with another provider
(Roaming Partner) in almost every wireless market in the country. The
only difference is if Verizon or the roaming partner in that area has
poor coverage, and a non roaming partner good coverage you can't use
the non roaming partner like you do with National Single Rate.

If you need to dail 911 it will work any network that your phone can
connect to. So if your phone says *No Service* it might still be able
to pick up a non roaming partner to get the call threw.

--
agentHibby

If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
911. There is no service reaching the phone - not even a roaming
partner's service. On the other hand if you see a blinking triangle
then it does mean that the call will go thru on a partners network. Per
my experience while travelling, I can say that the above statements are
true.

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, parikhvasantv@yahoo.com wrote:

>If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
>911.

Incorrect. "No service" can mean "no service that you're qualified to
use". If you're in an NS area and you need to call 911, give it a
try. If there's a cell tower in the area that your phone can possibly
communicate with, the call will go through. And if there isn't, what
have you lost by trying?

--
Jafo

parikhvasantv@yahoo.com wrote:
> If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
> 911. There is no service reaching the phone - not even a roaming
> partner's service. On the other hand if you see a blinking triangle
> then it does mean that the call will go thru on a partners network. Per
> my experience while travelling, I can say that the above statements are
> true.

In 911 mode, the phone is supposed to grab whatever signal it can. In normal
mode, it will only search Verizon networks and certain roaming networks that
Verizon programs it to search.

The one time I tried this I was in Verizon digital coverage, but my
neighborhood had lousy VZW digital coverage at the time, so when I needed to
call 911, my tri-mode phone actually grabbed someone else's analog carrier
instead. (Never did find out whose. Sprint had great coverage in our
neighborhood, but they never had any analog towers. I'm guessing it might have
been Cingular.)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.

Tee Box wrote:
> You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.

It was absolutely possible a couple years ago. Probably still is. Cingular
(former Ameritech Cellular) had analog coverage for quite some time...

It wouldn't be Nextel, but I didn't say I thought it was nextel

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Dean

Well, could grab a Cingular ANALOG signal....

Dean
_____________________________________
"Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.
>
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> parikhvasantv@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
>>> 911. There is no service reaching the phone - not even a roaming
>>> partner's service. On the other hand if you see a blinking triangle
>>> then it does mean that the call will go thru on a partners network. Per
>>> my experience while travelling, I can say that the above statements are
>>> true.
>>
>> In 911 mode, the phone is supposed to grab whatever signal it can. In
>> normal mode, it will only search Verizon networks and certain roaming
>> networks that Verizon programs it to search.
>>
>> The one time I tried this I was in Verizon digital coverage, but my
>> neighborhood had lousy VZW digital coverage at the time, so when I needed
>> to call 911, my tri-mode phone actually grabbed someone else's analog
>> carrier instead. (Never did find out whose. Sprint had great coverage in
>> our neighborhood, but they never had any analog towers. I'm guessing it
>> might have been Cingular.)
>>
>> --
>> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
>> (4638)
>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>>
>> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
>> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Nope Cingular is TDMA, Verizon CDMA. The two are not compatible. When a
cellphone says "no service" that's what it means. There is no service
usable to that cellphone. That's not to say there isn't service around you,
it's saying there's none compatible. You won't get 911 or anything else.
That's not the FCC's requirement. The regulation, which took effect in
2000, says that whenever a wireless phone dialing 911 in analog mode can't
get through via its home carrier, that phone must seek another signal, even
if it's from a competing carrier, to quickly establish a voice connection.
(But it must be a compatible technology)

"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, could grab a Cingular ANALOG signal....
>
> Dean
> _____________________________________
> "Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.
>>
>> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> In 911 mode, the phone is supposed to grab whatever signal it can. In
>>> normal mode, it will only search Verizon networks and certain roaming
>>> networks that Verizon programs it to search.
>>>
>>> The one time I tried this I was in Verizon digital coverage, but my
>>> neighborhood had lousy VZW digital coverage at the time, so when I
>>> needed to call 911, my tri-mode phone actually grabbed someone else's
>>> analog carrier instead. (Never did find out whose. Sprint had great
>>> coverage in our neighborhood, but they never had any analog towers. I'm
>>> guessing it might have been Cingular.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
>>> (4638)
>>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>>>
>>> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
>>> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Rich

Cingular is TDMA and Verizon is CDMS for their DIGITAL services. Both
offer analog services in many areas, which are completely compatable
with each other. So a version tri-mode phone can easilly use a Cingular
Analog signal in emergency situations.

Rich

Tee Box wrote:
> Nope Cingular is TDMA, Verizon CDMA. The two are not compatible.

Well, I lived in Cleveland for over 30 years, and used cellular there from 1993
through the time I moved to California in summer of 2003. Cingular and Verizon
BOTH inherited analog networks from their predecessors, Ameritech Cellular and
AirTouch/CellularONE, respectively. An analog phone can use any analog signal
from any carrier.

> cellphone says "no service" that's what it means. There is no service
> usable to that cellphone.

You really ought to educate yourself before you post.

When you dial 911, the phone is supposed to grab ANY signal it can grab. If the
phone has analog capability - and back then, my Nokia 3285 most definitely did
- it will grab an analog signal if that's the strongest signal available.

I *might* have gotten a Verizon analog signal, but back in 2001-2002, Verzion
basically had no coverage in the neighborhood where I was living at the time.

> it's saying there's none compatible. You won't get 911 or anything else.
> That's not the FCC's requirement. The regulation, which took effect in
> 2000, says that whenever a wireless phone dialing 911 in analog mode can't
> get through via its home carrier, that phone must seek another signal, even
> if it's from a competing carrier, to quickly establish a voice connection.
> (But it must be a compatible technology)

AMPS is AMPS. It DOES NOT MATTER WHICH DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY THE CARRIER USES.

Any AMPS phone can run on any AMPS carrier.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:29:46 -0400, "Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>When a
>cellphone says "no service" that's what it means. There is no service
>usable to that cellphone.

Wrong. The PRL can be written to prohibit the phone from using a
compatible signal which, in the absence of that PRL coding, could be
used. Such a signal would be used by 911, however.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

Bob Scheurle <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in

> Wrong. The PRL can be written to prohibit the phone from using a
> compatible signal which, in the absence of that PRL coding, could be
> used. Such a signal would be used by 911, however.
>
> --
> Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
> njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
> Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980

Do new phones work differently from the Motorola V60i PRL?

In the covered service area of Charleston, SC, Verizon has several service
holes that used to roam to Alltel (b-system cellular) or Sprint PCS. The
PRL was changed to exclude roaming to any other system, then the phones
read NO SERVICE. Calls to 911 did NOT hook to Alltel's 800 Mhz B-system
towers on PRL equipped phones, but an old analog flipphone or bagphone set
to STD A/B, that would already be roaming on Alltel B in the dead zone
WOULD dial 911, without exception.

When did this change?

I keep a 3W Motorola bagphone with cigarette lighter power and no dead
battery in all my cars ($1 at thrift shops) so 911 always works, no matter
what the companies do with PRL games....You should, too!

Alltel does not roam to Verizon's 800 Mhz system in Eastern SC, but its PRL
does roam up in the mountains NW of Columbia as this is permitted on its
PRL. No Verizon roaming to Alltel in the whole state, last time I looked.

In Charleston, Alltel just works better....still.

"Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
>choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have 30 days
>to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first priority. I
>travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
> I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a "Verizon" or
>"Extended network" displayed on the screen of my VX6100. Sometimes, but not
>lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no service
>area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I can't make a
>call?
>As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
>want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA

Don't think this is a good move. I am a full time RVer on the move
about every 10 - 14 days. I have had the one rate plan for several
years. I have looked at the other plans and in all cases the Verizon
stores have all advised against making a change. My coverage has been
great. Oh yes there have been time that I have not had coverage for
days at a time. But you should have seen where I was. Those were
places where I am surprised that even had a land line. During one of
our mid-west swings we had a Sprint phone as well as the Verizon. In
four months we never had Sprint signal but Verizon was there 90% of
the time.

Bill
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:29:17 -0400, Bob A wrote:

> Just to add some fuel to the fire.. Since there is no roaming on the "No
> Roam" America's Choice plan...I don't think you will get the flashing
> triangle since that means you are roaming. (Or is that a solid triangle that
> means roaming?!)

Solid triangle = roaming
Flashing triangle = extended area

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, CellGuy wrote:

>On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:29:17 -0400, Bob A wrote:
>>Just to add some fuel to the fire.. Since there is no roaming
>>on the "No Roam" America's Choice plan...I don't think you will
>>get the flashing triangle since that means you are roaming. (Or
>>is that a solid triangle that means roaming?!)

>Solid triangle = roaming
>Flashing triangle = extended area

I guess I had it backwards, too. Contrary to logic, isn't it?
The one that flashes to get your attention really isn't important.
I wonder whose brilliant idea that was.

--
Jafo

Rich

Jafo wrote:
> As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, CellGuy wrote:
>>Solid triangle = roaming
>>Flashing triangle = extended area
>

> I guess I had it backwards, too. Contrary to logic, isn't it?
> The one that flashes to get your attention really isn't important.
> I wonder whose brilliant idea that was.
>
> --
> Jafo

It could be that nothing meant not roaming at all, and a solid triangle
meant roaming and paying, and flashing meant part of each. (1/2
triangle, 1/2 nothing)

Rich

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Cingular
> (former Ameritech Cellular) had analog coverage for quite some time...

Dunno what region you're talking about, but we're on Verizon because
Verizon ate GTE after GTE ate Ameritech Cellular. No Cingular involved.

--
I miss my .signature.

"agentHibby" <agentHibby.1pe47z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Verizon has Native Coverage or a Roaming Agreement with another provider
> (Roaming Partner) in almost every wireless market in the country. The
> only difference is if Verizon or the roaming partner in that area has
> poor coverage, and a non roaming partner good coverage you can't use
> the non roaming partner like you do with National Single Rate.

Not any more. This was the case on the earlier America's Choice plan. Now
they have changed it, and there is no roaming off of Verizon--period. Not to
a partner, not to a non-partner, even at extra cost. I called them to verify
this. Exisiting America's Choice customers on the earlier plan will still be
able to roam, and can change their number of plan minutes without losing
roaming. However the number of roaming partners, where roaming is included,
will continue to decrease (as has been the problem with AC for a long time).
I.e. a month or two after I vacationed in Alaska, Verizon dropped their
roaming agreement, and I would have had to pay for every call.

> Nope Cingular is TDMA, Verizon CDMA. The two are not compatible. When
> cellphone says "no service" that's what it means.

Not true. A Verizon phone that supports AMPS can grab any AMPS signal, and a
Cingular phone that supports AMPS can grab any AMPS signal.

I have an old Cingular GSM phone that read no-service for all calls, except
it works fine for 911.