"Americas Choice" Roaming

I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have 30 days
to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first priority. I
travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a "Verizon" or
"Extended network" displayed on the screen of my VX6100. Sometimes, but not
lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no service
area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I can't make a
call?
As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA
--
CorkyF
60 answers Last reply

    "Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
    > choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have 30
    > days to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first priority.
    > I travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
    > I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a "Verizon" or
    > "Extended network" displayed on the screen of my VX6100. Sometimes, but
    > not lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no
    > service area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I
    > can't make a call?
    > As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
    > want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA
    > --
    > CorkyF

    When you're in a No Service area, the display on your phone says "No
    Service" and if you try to make a call, it won't go. That's how you know;-)

    Doc

    As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Roughrider50 wrote:

    >I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
    >choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have
    >30 days to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first
    >priority. I travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
    >I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a
    >"Verizon" or "Extended network" displayed on the screen of my
    >VX6100. Sometimes, but not lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do
    >I tell if I'm in a no service area? Do I get the Phone with a slash
    >or do I find out when I can't make a call?
    >As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the
    >way I want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA

    "No roaming" with the National Singlerate plan meant that Verizon
    would pick up the tab if you were out in the boondocks, but with
    the new AC plan you'll simply have no service in those roaming areas
    that previously had the flashing triangle. If the phone absolutely,
    positively has to work "everywhere", then stay with your old NSR
    plan even if it does have fewer minutes. On the other hand, your
    observations confirm the fact that the AC network is pretty extensive
    and will more than likely fulfill your needs. YMMV.

    --
    Jafo

    "Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:iJHje.159488
    Sometimes, but not
    > lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no service
    > area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I can't make a
    > call?
    > As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
    > want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA
    > --
    > CorkyF

    Just to add some fuel to the fire.. Since there is no roaming on the "No
    Roam" America's Choice plan...I don't think you will get the flashing
    triangle since that means you are roaming. (Or is that a solid triangle that
    means roaming?!) Did you get the flashing triangle on the current plan or
    the old plan? I'm under the impression that your phone will say "Verizon"
    or "Extended Network" or "No Service" only. Since there is no roaming in
    the plan, the phone now will say no service where it used to roam.

    Bob

    As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Bob A wrote:

    >Since there is no roaming in the plan, the phone now will say
    >no service where it used to roam.

    Makes a good paperweight, though. :)

    --
    Jafo

    Verizon has Native Coverage or a Roaming Agreement with another provider
    (Roaming Partner) in almost every wireless market in the country. The
    only difference is if Verizon or the roaming partner in that area has
    poor coverage, and a non roaming partner good coverage you can't use
    the non roaming partner like you do with National Single Rate.

    If you need to dail 911 it will work any network that your phone can
    connect to. So if your phone says *No Service* it might still be able
    to pick up a non roaming partner to get the call threw.

    --
    agentHibby

    If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
    911. There is no service reaching the phone - not even a roaming
    partner's service. On the other hand if you see a blinking triangle
    then it does mean that the call will go thru on a partners network. Per
    my experience while travelling, I can say that the above statements are
    true.

    As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, parikhvasantv@yahoo.com wrote:

    >If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
    >911.

    Incorrect. "No service" can mean "no service that you're qualified to
    use". If you're in an NS area and you need to call 911, give it a
    try. If there's a cell tower in the area that your phone can possibly
    communicate with, the call will go through. And if there isn't, what
    have you lost by trying?

    --
    Jafo

    parikhvasantv@yahoo.com wrote:
    > If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
    > 911. There is no service reaching the phone - not even a roaming
    > partner's service. On the other hand if you see a blinking triangle
    > then it does mean that the call will go thru on a partners network. Per
    > my experience while travelling, I can say that the above statements are
    > true.

    In 911 mode, the phone is supposed to grab whatever signal it can. In normal
    mode, it will only search Verizon networks and certain roaming networks that
    Verizon programs it to search.

    The one time I tried this I was in Verizon digital coverage, but my
    neighborhood had lousy VZW digital coverage at the time, so when I needed to
    call 911, my tri-mode phone actually grabbed someone else's analog carrier
    instead. (Never did find out whose. Sprint had great coverage in our
    neighborhood, but they never had any analog towers. I'm guessing it might have
    been Cingular.)

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.

    Tee Box wrote:
    > You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.

    It was absolutely possible a couple years ago. Probably still is. Cingular
    (former Ameritech Cellular) had analog coverage for quite some time...

    It wouldn't be Nextel, but I didn't say I thought it was nextel

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Well, could grab a Cingular ANALOG signal....

    Dean
    _____________________________________
    "Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.
    >
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> parikhvasantv@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> If your phone states, "no service", then it cannot make any call - even
    >>> 911. There is no service reaching the phone - not even a roaming
    >>> partner's service. On the other hand if you see a blinking triangle
    >>> then it does mean that the call will go thru on a partners network. Per
    >>> my experience while travelling, I can say that the above statements are
    >>> true.
    >>
    >> In 911 mode, the phone is supposed to grab whatever signal it can. In
    >> normal mode, it will only search Verizon networks and certain roaming
    >> networks that Verizon programs it to search.
    >>
    >> The one time I tried this I was in Verizon digital coverage, but my
    >> neighborhood had lousy VZW digital coverage at the time, so when I needed
    >> to call 911, my tri-mode phone actually grabbed someone else's analog
    >> carrier instead. (Never did find out whose. Sprint had great coverage in
    >> our neighborhood, but they never had any analog towers. I'm guessing it
    >> might have been Cingular.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
    >> (4638)
    >> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >>
    >> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    >> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Nope Cingular is TDMA, Verizon CDMA. The two are not compatible. When a
    cellphone says "no service" that's what it means. There is no service
    usable to that cellphone. That's not to say there isn't service around you,
    it's saying there's none compatible. You won't get 911 or anything else.
    That's not the FCC's requirement. The regulation, which took effect in
    2000, says that whenever a wireless phone dialing 911 in analog mode can't
    get through via its home carrier, that phone must seek another signal, even
    if it's from a competing carrier, to quickly establish a voice connection.
    (But it must be a compatible technology)

    "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well, could grab a Cingular ANALOG signal....
    >
    > Dean
    > _____________________________________
    > "Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You're not going to grab a Nextel or Cingular signal.
    >>
    >> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> In 911 mode, the phone is supposed to grab whatever signal it can. In
    >>> normal mode, it will only search Verizon networks and certain roaming
    >>> networks that Verizon programs it to search.
    >>>
    >>> The one time I tried this I was in Verizon digital coverage, but my
    >>> neighborhood had lousy VZW digital coverage at the time, so when I
    >>> needed to call 911, my tri-mode phone actually grabbed someone else's
    >>> analog carrier instead. (Never did find out whose. Sprint had great
    >>> coverage in our neighborhood, but they never had any analog towers. I'm
    >>> guessing it might have been Cingular.)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
    >>> (4638)
    >>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >>>
    >>> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    >>> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Cingular is TDMA and Verizon is CDMS for their DIGITAL services. Both
    offer analog services in many areas, which are completely compatable
    with each other. So a version tri-mode phone can easilly use a Cingular
    Analog signal in emergency situations.

    Rich

    Tee Box wrote:
    > Nope Cingular is TDMA, Verizon CDMA. The two are not compatible.

    Well, I lived in Cleveland for over 30 years, and used cellular there from 1993
    through the time I moved to California in summer of 2003. Cingular and Verizon
    BOTH inherited analog networks from their predecessors, Ameritech Cellular and
    AirTouch/CellularONE, respectively. An analog phone can use any analog signal
    from any carrier.

    > cellphone says "no service" that's what it means. There is no service
    > usable to that cellphone.

    You really ought to educate yourself before you post.

    When you dial 911, the phone is supposed to grab ANY signal it can grab. If the
    phone has analog capability - and back then, my Nokia 3285 most definitely did
    - it will grab an analog signal if that's the strongest signal available.

    I *might* have gotten a Verizon analog signal, but back in 2001-2002, Verzion
    basically had no coverage in the neighborhood where I was living at the time.

    > it's saying there's none compatible. You won't get 911 or anything else.
    > That's not the FCC's requirement. The regulation, which took effect in
    > 2000, says that whenever a wireless phone dialing 911 in analog mode can't
    > get through via its home carrier, that phone must seek another signal, even
    > if it's from a competing carrier, to quickly establish a voice connection.
    > (But it must be a compatible technology)

    AMPS is AMPS. It DOES NOT MATTER WHICH DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY THE CARRIER USES.

    Any AMPS phone can run on any AMPS carrier.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:29:46 -0400, "Tee Box" <chilidip@hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >When a
    >cellphone says "no service" that's what it means. There is no service
    >usable to that cellphone.

    Wrong. The PRL can be written to prohibit the phone from using a
    compatible signal which, in the absence of that PRL coding, could be
    used. Such a signal would be used by 911, however.

    --
    Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
    njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

    Bob Scheurle <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in

    > Wrong. The PRL can be written to prohibit the phone from using a
    > compatible signal which, in the absence of that PRL coding, could be
    > used. Such a signal would be used by 911, however.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
    > njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
    > Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980

    Do new phones work differently from the Motorola V60i PRL?

    In the covered service area of Charleston, SC, Verizon has several service
    holes that used to roam to Alltel (b-system cellular) or Sprint PCS. The
    PRL was changed to exclude roaming to any other system, then the phones
    read NO SERVICE. Calls to 911 did NOT hook to Alltel's 800 Mhz B-system
    towers on PRL equipped phones, but an old analog flipphone or bagphone set
    to STD A/B, that would already be roaming on Alltel B in the dead zone
    WOULD dial 911, without exception.

    When did this change?

    I keep a 3W Motorola bagphone with cigarette lighter power and no dead
    battery in all my cars ($1 at thrift shops) so 911 always works, no matter
    what the companies do with PRL games....You should, too!

    Alltel does not roam to Verizon's 800 Mhz system in Eastern SC, but its PRL
    does roam up in the mountains NW of Columbia as this is permitted on its
    PRL. No Verizon roaming to Alltel in the whole state, last time I looked.

    In Charleston, Alltel just works better....still.

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > When did this change?

    1978

    -Quick

    "Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I recently switched from "National access single rate" to "Americas
    >choice-No Roam". My bucket of minutes cost gets cut in half. I have 30 days
    >to switch back if this doesn't work. Connection is my first priority. I
    >travel extensively & want a phone that works everywhere.
    > I have been watching my screen as I travel & usually I see a "Verizon" or
    >"Extended network" displayed on the screen of my VX6100. Sometimes, but not
    >lately, I see a flashing triangle. How do I tell if I'm in a no service
    >area? Do I get the Phone with a slash or do I find out when I can't make a
    >call?
    >As I've said I have about 3 weeks left to determine if this is the way I
    >want to go, so I want to check this out thoroughly. TIA

    Don't think this is a good move. I am a full time RVer on the move
    about every 10 - 14 days. I have had the one rate plan for several
    years. I have looked at the other plans and in all cases the Verizon
    stores have all advised against making a change. My coverage has been
    great. Oh yes there have been time that I have not had coverage for
    days at a time. But you should have seen where I was. Those were
    places where I am surprised that even had a land line. During one of
    our mid-west swings we had a Sprint phone as well as the Verizon. In
    four months we never had Sprint signal but Verizon was there 90% of
    the time.

    Bill
    --
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:29:17 -0400, Bob A wrote:

    > Just to add some fuel to the fire.. Since there is no roaming on the "No
    > Roam" America's Choice plan...I don't think you will get the flashing
    > triangle since that means you are roaming. (Or is that a solid triangle that
    > means roaming?!)

    Solid triangle = roaming
    Flashing triangle = extended area

    As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, CellGuy wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:29:17 -0400, Bob A wrote:
    >>Just to add some fuel to the fire.. Since there is no roaming
    >>on the "No Roam" America's Choice plan...I don't think you will
    >>get the flashing triangle since that means you are roaming. (Or
    >>is that a solid triangle that means roaming?!)

    >Solid triangle = roaming
    >Flashing triangle = extended area

    I guess I had it backwards, too. Contrary to logic, isn't it?
    The one that flashes to get your attention really isn't important.
    I wonder whose brilliant idea that was.

    --
    Jafo

    Jafo wrote:
    > As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, CellGuy wrote:
    >>Solid triangle = roaming
    >>Flashing triangle = extended area
    >

    > I guess I had it backwards, too. Contrary to logic, isn't it?
    > The one that flashes to get your attention really isn't important.
    > I wonder whose brilliant idea that was.
    >
    > --
    > Jafo

    It could be that nothing meant not roaming at all, and a solid triangle
    meant roaming and paying, and flashing meant part of each. (1/2
    triangle, 1/2 nothing)

    Rich

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > Cingular
    > (former Ameritech Cellular) had analog coverage for quite some time...

    Dunno what region you're talking about, but we're on Verizon because
    Verizon ate GTE after GTE ate Ameritech Cellular. No Cingular involved.

    --
    I miss my .signature.

    "agentHibby" <agentHibby.1pe47z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

    > Verizon has Native Coverage or a Roaming Agreement with another provider
    > (Roaming Partner) in almost every wireless market in the country. The
    > only difference is if Verizon or the roaming partner in that area has
    > poor coverage, and a non roaming partner good coverage you can't use
    > the non roaming partner like you do with National Single Rate.

    Not any more. This was the case on the earlier America's Choice plan. Now
    they have changed it, and there is no roaming off of Verizon--period. Not to
    a partner, not to a non-partner, even at extra cost. I called them to verify
    this. Exisiting America's Choice customers on the earlier plan will still be
    able to roam, and can change their number of plan minutes without losing
    roaming. However the number of roaming partners, where roaming is included,
    will continue to decrease (as has been the problem with AC for a long time).
    I.e. a month or two after I vacationed in Alaska, Verizon dropped their
    roaming agreement, and I would have had to pay for every call.

    > Nope Cingular is TDMA, Verizon CDMA. The two are not compatible. When
    > cellphone says "no service" that's what it means.

    Not true. A Verizon phone that supports AMPS can grab any AMPS signal, and a
    Cingular phone that supports AMPS can grab any AMPS signal.

    I have an old Cingular GSM phone that read no-service for all calls, except
    it works fine for 911.

    "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Bob Scheurle <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Wrong. The PRL can be written to prohibit the phone from using a
    > > compatible signal which, in the absence of that PRL coding, could be
    > > used. Such a signal would be used by 911, however.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
    > > njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
    > > Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980
    > >

    > Do new phones work differently from the Motorola V60i PRL?
    >
    > In the covered service area of Charleston, SC, Verizon has several service
    > holes that used to roam to Alltel (b-system cellular) or Sprint PCS. The
    > PRL was changed to exclude roaming to any other system, then the phones
    > read NO SERVICE.

    Verizon has been doing this. If they cover an area, they exclude other
    carriers in the same area. But the new AC plan is the first time that
    they've excluded all non-Verizon service.

    > Verizon has been doing this. If they cover an area, they exclude other
    > carriers in the same area. But the new AC plan is the first time that
    > they've excluded all non-Verizon service.

    Where are you people getting your information from??? The new America's
    Choice plan that doesn't allow roaming, still allows calls on their
    extended network which includes many many non-Verizon carriers. If you
    want to see what you systems you can use, check out the PRL that shows
    you exactly what systems your phone can use.
    (http://mallard.rainyday.mb.ca/~dialtone/vzw/vz_50295.html) Also, I
    don't know where the info about them removing partners has come from,
    when the new AC plan first came out, they changed many partners that
    used to be paid roaming to be part of the extended network, and each PRL
    release usually adds a few more partners.

    Part of the confusion is that what Verizon calls roaming isn't the true
    definition of roaming. The true definition is placing a call that is
    not on your home SID, but Verizon considers roaming to be placing a call
    on a system that is not part of their extended network and (prior to the
    new AC) you would have to pay for.

    Rich

    "Rich" <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message
    > > Verizon has been doing this. If they cover an area, they exclude other
    > > carriers in the same area. But the new AC plan is the first time that
    > > they've excluded all non-Verizon service.
    >
    > Where are you people getting your information from???

    I called Verizon today. Not that the person that told me this knew what they
    were talking about! Even if there is still Extended Network coverage, this
    is insufficient. I have been to many areas where I am off the extended
    network. Just last month I was up on the Northern California Coast, and was
    off the extended network. And since they keep reducing the number of
    Extended Network agreements, this is happening more and more.

    What is the upside in them prohibiting off-network roaming at 69¢ per
    minute? Even their prepaid plan allows this!

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > "Rich" <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Verizon has been doing this. If they cover an area, they exclude other
    >>>carriers in the same area. But the new AC plan is the first time that
    >>>they've excluded all non-Verizon service.
    >>
    >>Where are you people getting your information from???
    >

    > I called Verizon today. Not that the person that told me this knew what they
    > were talking about! Even if there is still Extended Network coverage, this
    > is insufficient. I have been to many areas where I am off the extended
    > network. Just last month I was up on the Northern California Coast, and was
    > off the extended network. And since they keep reducing the number of
    > Extended Network agreements, this is happening more and more.

    I do not see them reducing the number of Extended Network agreements, I
    think they expand the number.

    > What is the upside in them prohibiting off-network roaming at 69¢ per
    > minute? Even their prepaid plan allows this!

    Two reasons (not that I completely agree they should do it, but I'm sure
    these are the reasons they have)
    1) Reduce calls from customers complaining about roaming charges and
    having to refund the charges.
    2) Competition with other carriers that offer no-roaming plans (who
    even have less coverage than Verizon).

    Rich

    Rich wrote:

    >> What is the upside in them prohibiting off-network
    >> roaming at 69¢ per minute? Even their prepaid plan
    >> allows this!
    >
    > Two reasons (not that I completely agree they should do
    > it, but I'm sure these are the reasons they have)
    > 1) Reduce calls from customers complaining about roaming
    > charges and having to refund the charges.

    Ding! That's exactly what more than one VZW rep has told
    me. Not that they *have* to refund the charges but there is
    a lot of overhead involved with dealing with the unhappy
    (less than sharp-as-a-tack) customers who incurred roaming
    charges.

    -Quick

    Could anyone else please verify this?

    It's exactly the opposite of what I've been told many times since I started
    asking.

    I was told:

    1/ AC2 covers Verizon native coverage PLUS whatever "extended" carriers are
    included in the AC2 PRL.

    2/ In areas which are not included in the AC2 PRL, the phone will get NO
    service, except in Emergency Mode (usually triggered by a 911 call), in
    which case the phone will work for the Emergency call on any compatible
    network (such as AMPS, or another CDMA carrier). This is the primary
    difference in the new AC, whereas in AC1, a non-included carrier would give
    the user a solid roam signal and incur a roaming charge.

    3/ The AC2 PRL differs from that of AC1, and MAY reduce the area of
    "included" calls, but not significantly.

    I don't like it, as explained that way, but it makes perfect sense when the
    marketing reasons are explained in other posts in this thread and elsewhere.
    I don't like anything which may reduce my usable included calling area, just
    like the rest of you, but I understand the marketing advantage of a "No
    Roaming, Ever" plan. Other carriers, notably Sprint, have been doing this
    for years. We newsgroup hounds saw through the ploy right away, but
    thousands of others didn't.

    Please tell me it isn't true.

    "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
    news:MZHke.9799> Not any more. This was the case on the earlier America's
    Choice plan. Now
    > they have changed it, and there is no roaming off of Verizon--period. Not
    > a partner, not to a non-partner, even at extra cost. I called them to
    > verify
    > this. Exisiting America's Choice customers on the earlier plan will still
    > be
    > able to roam, and can change their number of plan minutes without losing
    > roaming. However the number of roaming partners, where roaming is
    > included,
    > will continue to decrease (as has been the problem with AC for a long
    > time).
    > I.e. a month or two after I vacationed in Alaska, Verizon dropped their
    > roaming agreement, and I would have had to pay for every call.

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:32:27 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
    <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
    >I called Verizon today. Not that the person that told me this knew what they
    >were talking about! Even if there is still Extended Network coverage, this
    >is insufficient. I have been to many areas where I am off the extended
    >network. Just last month I was up on the Northern California Coast, and was
    >off the extended network. And since they keep reducing the number of
    >Extended Network agreements, this is happening more and more.

    This has been beat to death in this newsgroup already. IIRC, Bill Radio
    posted some details showing that the new AC plan actually improves
    coverage in some areas.

    > It's exactly the opposite of what I've been told many times since I
    started
    > asking.
    >
    > I was told:
    >
    > 1/ AC2 covers Verizon native coverage PLUS whatever "extended" carriers
    are
    > included in the AC2 PRL.
    >
    > 2/ In areas which are not included in the AC2 PRL, the phone will get NO
    > service, except in Emergency Mode (usually triggered by a 911 call), in
    > which case the phone will work for the Emergency call on any compatible
    > network (such as AMPS, or another CDMA carrier). This is the primary
    > difference in the new AC, whereas in AC1, a non-included carrier would
    give
    > the user a solid roam signal and incur a roaming charge.
    >
    > 3/ The AC2 PRL differs from that of AC1, and MAY reduce the area of
    > "included" calls, but not significantly.
    >
    > I don't like it, as explained that way, but it makes perfect sense when
    the
    > marketing reasons are explained in other posts in this thread and
    elsewhere.
    > I don't like anything which may reduce my usable included calling area,
    just
    > like the rest of you, but I understand the marketing advantage of a "No
    > Roaming, Ever" plan. Other carriers, notably Sprint, have been doing this
    > for years. We newsgroup hounds saw through the ploy right away, but
    > thousands of others didn't.
    >
    > Please tell me it isn't true.

    It is true. I called Verizon three times, to be sure that the answer would
    be the same each time. Also, National Single Rate no longer exists.

    I explicitly asked why they did this, and the CSR said that they were
    getting too many complaints about roaming charges from people that thought
    they were on the Extended Network, when they really weren't. This due to two
    reasons. First people don't pay attention to the roaming indicator on their
    handset. Second, people that do pay attention, often don't update their PRL
    on a regular basis; as AC coverage has been reduced, they will think that
    they are on the Extended Network, but they really are not. We have two
    identical phones, one with an up-to-date PRL, one without. The one with the
    old PRL shows a lot more coverage on the Extended Network.

    Apparently InPulse (Verizon prepaid) still allows off-network roaming at 69¢
    per minute.