Nvidia: Quadro Helped ILM Animate Rango

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerocoolx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Translation:

ILM: Let's advertise for Nvidia!
Nvidia: We'll give you 450 free Quadro cards in exchange.
ILM: Hopefully this helps get people talking about this turd-fest of a movie.
Nvidia: Hopefully this will help us sell more of our overpriced cards!

SYNERGY!!!!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
That movie had no bias toward age, race, or personality type. Pretty much everyone could find some part of it that irritated them.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Rango was sooo bad.Clearly would have been helped by going with AMD.Wait, what were we talking about?[/citation]

We was talking about the Quadro! I findeth this funnies...o well, atleast I got warned not to watch this movie, iz crap i hears!

zerocoolx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
@rhino13

Attention trolls:
Following comment is made of silica. DO NOT EAT.

You're missing the point. This isn't an article. It's an ad and rational people with realistic budgets would definitely go FireGL all the way. There's no excuse for the Quadro series being so damn expensive. Cost vs performance is what the majority of people care about. ILM can choose to ignore all that and use whatever they want to use, but why am I hearing about it?

Oh right, because this is yellow journalism at it's best. Why must I limit my comments to what you want to hear? It's still on topic. In fact it's more on topic than your comment and, in a way, the article itself!

G

All of the AMD Fanboys in this article are giving me so much LULZ!

zerocoolx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
[citation][nom]BLARGMCBLARG[/nom]All of the AMD Fanboys in this article are giving me so much LULZ![/citation]

Call the poison control!

G

I think another reason why ILM used Quadro is because it has better support for OpenCL, not to mention CUDA from Nvidia.

There are many commercial raytracer that only supports Nvidia cards right now, Mental ray, Vray, Mari just to name a few.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Rango is truly a great movie, I simply love it - not the most original storyline, but who cares?

AND: I have never seen a better looking animated movie, the artistic design is marvelous.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tom's Hardware lost "it purpose" long ago ... I have yet to read a Tom's Article that was:

1. Well written
2. Was accurate
3. Had some useful content that could actually inform folks about their next hardware/software purchases (for any platform)

It wasn't always like this at Tom's ... trying to remember when they sold their soul ... anyway, now it's "shock journalism" who's primary focus is hit count to keep the advertisers happy.

In fact, just ask anyone that visits this site what their front page looks like for advertising (it will not be the same as yours) ... notice how it's somehow advertising content from sites you may have visited in the past that has nothing to do with Tom's? Read Tom's Legal and Privacy statements REAL CAREFULLY, you may not want to visit Tom's ever again.

G

Most of the comments here are ridiculous, people hating on Rango without seeing it, which is a shame, as it's one of the most brave animated movies ever (no cuddly, singing, toys-oriented characters, NO muddy, disgusting stereoscopic 3-D, etc). In an age where Pixar is making Cars 2, Rango was the best surprise of the year so far. ILM did a fantastic job, and as a professional CG artist I find this article to be interesting and not just shameless advertisement.

Kids here can cry all they want over prices, AMD-Nvidia warfare,the "crappy" quality of Rango (which is probably the best looking animated movie ever). This article is aimed towards people interested in CG productions, basically all of us read "real time fire and dust effects" and drool.

PS: And although years ago I was a huge fan and supported of ATI cards, me and all my friends who are in the animation business and all our workstations at work have Nvidia cards. I guess their never-ending push of Cuda and OpenCL paid off.

zerocoolx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Mike2001[/nom]Most of the comments here are ridiculous, people hating on Rango without seeing it, which is a shame, as it's one of the most brave animated movies ever (no cuddly, singing, toys-oriented characters, NO muddy, disgusting stereoscopic 3-D, etc). In an age where Pixar is making Cars 2, Rango was the best surprise of the year so far. ILM did a fantastic job, and as a professional CG artist I find this article to be interesting and not just shameless advertisement.Kids here can cry all they want over prices, AMD-Nvidia warfare,the "crappy" quality of Rango (which is probably the best looking animated movie ever). This article is aimed towards people interested in CG productions, basically all of us read "real time fire and dust effects" and drool.PS: And although years ago I was a huge fan and supported of ATI cards, me and all my friends who are in the animation business and all our workstations at work have Nvidia cards. I guess their never-ending push of Cuda and OpenCL paid off.[/citation]

K I'm sure we all believe you. Especially when you call OpenCL an Nvidia product.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Wow, look here... a bunch of gamers in their mom's basement having a giggle about a technology based on professional application and not gaming.

Seriously, all of you, GROW UP. If Nvidia or Toms wanted to boost sales with an advertising campaign geared towards you gamers they would not be posting an article related to a piece of professional hardware most of you thumbsuckers could not even wet dream about affording in your lifetime, let alone grasp the concept of its application. It's a proof of concept for professionals.

If your AMD or GeForce is enough to run Crysis on a PC you built with your lunch money, then good for you. As for pure floating-point processing power for the big-leagues, leave it to us to lead the industry and stay out of our way.

zerocoolx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Wow, look here... a bunch of gamers in their mom's basement having a giggle about a technology based on professional application and not gaming. Seriously, all of you, GROW UP. If Nvidia or Toms wanted to boost sales with an advertising campaign geared towards you gamers they would not be posting an article related to a piece of professional hardware most of you thumbsuckers could not even wet dream about affording in your lifetime, let alone grasp the concept of its application. It's a proof of concept for professionals.If your AMD or GeForce is enough to run Crysis on a PC you built with your lunch money, then good for you. As for pure floating-point processing power for the big-leagues, leave it to us to lead the industry and stay out of our way.[/citation]

Woah man. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Some of you may argue whatever you want, but you are also arguing out the subject here. If you think Rango is a waaaaaay bad movie thats fine, but don't even consider to compare AMD FireGL programability to the Nvidia Quadros. And that is an unfortunate event for people in this business, and not something to celebrate. You just have to use what is ready and working very well. This is the reason manny studios are incorporating more GPUs into their personalized pipelines using their own proprietary engineering. Nvidia has a better, more mature, wider scale product with their CUDA and Quadro cards and is also the reason they are more expensive. If, if, if AMD could produce a really competing product in the professional space as they do very well in the gaming side, then you could say this is just plain advertisement or biased opinion.

I have evaluated, purchased and used the affordable options (Or the only one, "Octane" from Refractive Software) very recently and you could not find a mature software/hardware for professional GPU 3D acceleration and integration on AMD FireGL. Maybe in the future. Yes, there are some interesting and more mature AMD/FireGL like MachStudio Pro, but it was over $5000 last december while Octane costed me under $700 for GPU and sofware.

Actually I liked a lot this article because it is very relevant for me and for what I do, 3D CG animation.

And lastly, it is just my humble opinion but Rango was interesting and fun, but I would never say it is not an achievement on computer graphics and that is not interesting to know what are they doing at ILM studios.

G

Indeed, Jecastez is wise.

Most GPU-accelerated renderers don't utilize AMD's GPUs at all. Not even an option.

But the REAL stinker here is that they're advertising for Quadros, when Geforce cards would have done the job just as well (they ROCK for CUDA just as hard as the Quadros, if not harder) at 1/5 the price. That's where the bullshit starts, and stops.

Nvidia's trying to justify it's overpriced, repackaged Geforce chips (Quadros) and using ILM to advertise for them. Weak.

Daniel Smedegaard Buus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Even if this is a blatant advertisement for nVidia products, good to have the comments section for sorting things out while having lots of laughs! ;)

I read this with my "cloud goggles" on, so I don't care if it's nVidia or AMD or 3dfx or Monkeysoft, this shizzles be interesting, yall!

G

I work at ILM. The reason we use Quadros is that they unlike AMD FireGL:
1. Have good linux drivers AND SUPPORT. For a large company doing $150M projects, having support for any issues that arise with the drivers is more than worth the cost. nvidia linux drivers have been good since the beginning, and ILM started using linux machines around 2002. Going with the less stable option at the time (FireGL) would make no sense.

2. CUDA - AMD does not support CUDA and most simulation and rendering tools we work with are written with CUDA. OpenCL isnt there yet but it's promising.

3. Quadros are preferable to Geforce for us because of the large amount of memory. Quadro cards are usualy available with 2-3x more memory than the equivalent Geforce card. For rendering and simulation this is critical. With dual quadro 5800s we can have 8GB, dual quadro 6000s 12GB.

None of this is devious or intended to mislead consumers.
ILM buys their workstations from HP at not much of a discount other than volume. Because of the number of GPUs purchased they get good support, and nvidia is interested in touting their involvement in something high profile like an animated film.

That's all folks. Relax.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]zerocoolx[/nom]K I'm sure we all believe you. Especially when you call OpenCL an Nvidia product.[/citation]
Where in that comment does he even hint at OpenCL being an "Nvidia product"?
[citation][nom]zerocoolx[/nom]@rhino13Attention trolls:Following comment is made of silica. DO NOT EAT.You're missing the point. This isn't an article. It's an ad and rational people with realistic budgets would definitely go FireGL all the way. There's no excuse for the Quadro series being so damn expensive. Cost vs performance is what the majority of people care about. ILM can choose to ignore all that and use whatever they want to use, but why am I hearing about it?Oh right, because this is yellow journalism at it's best. Why must I limit my comments to what you want to hear? It's still on topic. In fact it's more on topic than your comment and, in a way, the article itself![/citation]
Dude... just stop. You're not in the industry you're claiming to know something about, and you're doing a really bad job of acting like you are. You just come off sounding completely ignorant and idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.