Closed

Can't access BIOS on EVO D510

Ever since I installed WINXP on my EVO D510CMT I can no longer get into the
BIOS.

Pressing F10 when the Compaq splash screen and prompts appear doesn't do
anything anymore. Then, Windows kicks in as normal.

I've tried various things - even disconnecting the hard drive to prevent an
OS starting - in order to see what's happening, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas anyone ?

TIA.

Tim.
6 answers Last reply
More about access bios d510

    Bad F10 key on keyboard co-incidence???

    "Tim Parker" <Me@Here.com> wrote in message

    > Pressing F10 when the Compaq splash screen and prompts appear doesn't do
    > anything anymore. Then, Windows kicks in as normal.

    "Tim Parker" <Me@Here.com> wrote in message
    > Ever since I installed WINXP on my EVO D510CMT I can no longer get into
    > the BIOS.
    >
    > Pressing F10 when the Compaq splash screen and prompts appear doesn't do
    > anything anymore. Then, Windows kicks in as normal.
    >
    > I've tried various things - even disconnecting the hard drive to prevent
    > an OS starting - in order to see what's happening, but nothing seems to
    > work.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone ?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Tim.

    Have you downloaded the windows software for accessing the BIOS?

    I stillthink the F10 key on the keyboard is bad..............

    "DCA" <dca860MAPS@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > "Tim Parker" <Me@Here.com> wrote in message
    >> Ever since I installed WINXP on my EVO D510CMT I can no longer get into
    >> the BIOS.
    >>
    >> Pressing F10 when the Compaq splash screen and prompts appear doesn't do
    >> anything anymore. Then, Windows kicks in as normal.
    >>
    >> I've tried various things - even disconnecting the hard drive to prevent
    >> an OS starting - in order to see what's happening, but nothing seems to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Any ideas anyone ?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Tim.
    >>

    > Have you downloaded the windows software for accessing the BIOS?

  4. Hi, you have to press F2 to access the Bios for this kind machine.
    Aiad
    MCSE
  5. hey, not sure if you figured it out or not, but i ran into this recently, and figured it out:
    the keyboard i was using had 2 different functions assigned to the F9-12 keys, and by default, F10 key was a media function (like pause or skip track). i had to hold the Fn (Function) key and press F10 to bring up BIOS (indicated by the fact that the "F10" on the key was in BLUE color, which is the same as the Fn key. Fn key is usually near the spacebar, but this can vary on different keyboards.
    ironically, i have just the opposite problem: the PS/2 mouse won't work. USB mice work fine, but no PS/2 mice don't even show up in Windows XP...
  6. I had EXACTLY this problem on an Evo D500 and used more than 1 keyboard and it wasn't the F10 key on any of them. Here's what I did and might work for you:

    Turn off machine;
    Remove power cord;
    Open case;
    Remove CMOS backup battery;
    Short across pins in battery holder to discharge any residual charge;
    Replace battery;
    Close case;
    Plug in power cord;
    Start up and press F10 when prompted

    It worked for me! You have to fix all the date and time errors etc, then all good.

Compaq BIOS Evo Computers