How long is 16GB in Hours?

Jacknewton23

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,

I've been looking for ages and I cant find any awnsers so if i Buy A Game From ''Steam'' And It Takes 16GB Of Space How Long Will That Take To Download In Days ??

(on a pc)

cdtfry

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Firstly you will need to know your download speed, which you can find accurately using site such as speedtest.net (The advertised speed from your ISP is often overestimated).

Then knowing the download speed you can enter that that into a calculator site such as http://www.gaijin.at/en/olsdltc.php which should give you a time to download the file/game. (You enter the speed you get from speedtest.net into the user defined box - "Mbps")

thanks for the link

didnt realise there were sites to do that

and it agreed exactly with what i put in my post 160 minutes for my connection

getting 72mbs in 2 weeks--cant wait

remember to use a download manager to get maximum speed and to be able to resume

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
As the others have said, it varies based on your internet connection. If you have a 56Kbps dial-up connection it will take a few weeks, where as is you have a 100Mbps broadband connection it will take less than 1/2 an hour. I have a 30Mbps download connection, so it would take me about an hour. An average connection is about 10mbps down, so expect it to take at least a few hours.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
How are you guys downloading from STEAM at your connection speed?

I have almost 30 Mbps DL speed from my ISP and the most I've ever seen DLing from STEAM is about 2.5 Mbps

you have to tell steam what speed your line is roughly and it will give you the best speed it can. i for instance get 3.6-7.2MBps for some reason my 30 mbps line will jump to 60 mbps when i connect to certain servers. it does it for steam and origin so i dunno if virgin media have a deal with em but i do get x2 my normal speed when i download from either.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

No idea, maybe your ISP is lying or something. Steam servers are capable of more than 2.5MBps. We have the same download speed and I get at least 3.0MBps.

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
On speedtest.net I get around 25mbps. Steam download speed is usually 3Mbps. Unfortunatly im used to the internet connection in the gaming lab at university, 500mbps down, about 40Mbps steam :D