Windows XP "features"

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I would like to take this time to express my deep pity for all the poor people at M$ who have d@mned themselves to h3ll for thier involment in windows XP. I also feel pity for all those who are gullible enough to believe the hype and install the worst OS they've ever come out with on your puter. May god have mercy on your soul.

Take care,
Jason

G

OK guys here's my two cents worth
this new Windows XP will rerun the anti-piracy dodad whenever a certain amount of hardware changes from the installed state.
which means most upgrades will trigger this mess.
of course you could just leave it for the customer. but we all know the customer is going to want to know why you didn't do it.
Hell most of the time you sell a new PC the customer will be calling back wanting to know why YOU didn't take care of this.
Every retail tech in here knows exactly what I'm talking about.
the complete bending over of the support industry by MicroSoft.
If they have to have it, at least DON't put it in the OEM version.
Microsoft has forgotten the one reason people still use windows more than any other OS on the market. User Friendliness.

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Microsoft is attacking anti-piracy in the wrong way. By doing this and cracking down on their End User License; it will cause an increase in piracy. Hackers are going to take that OS apart piece by piece and I say by the 3rd day after the final version is released, we will see hacks posted on websites.

Of course if you are a Linux advocate...this is good news to you.

G

I heard that Mp3 files also would not play correctly! Anyone else hear this?

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Apparently this is a rumor that was believed to have started by some anti-microsoft, Mac-fanatic and the Wall Street Journal printed it. However; Microsoft's Media Manager went on TV and said that Microsoft in no way wants to prohibit the use of MP3 Technology. XP is supposed to be optimized for media and it would be "stupid" to not have MP3's supported. XP's beta version is buggy in media playing which fueled the rumor.

The Truth...XP will have limited ripping abilities; however, 3rd party software can get around it easily. XP also seems to favor the .WAV and .WMA formats. But WILL play .MP3's, it will just not be optimized for it.

XP will have an anti-piracy code built in that would require you to call Microsoft on every re-install and after changing your hardware configuration 10 times. XP will also NOT support USB 2.0. You can thank Mr. Gates for this stuff since this is his idea.

From the current reviews and opinions I have heard...People who use Windows 2000; did not like XP so far. But it is still in Beta so we should at least wait till the final version is shipped before we pass judgement.

Linux anyone?