Major Rate Increase Coming...

According to this months bills, effective July 1 Verizon is raising rates for
international calls over 100%. Calls currently priced at .65/minute are being
raised to $1.49. Calls to Canada and Mexico, curently at .20/minute will be
charged .49/minute.

On top of this, you will still be charged airtime.

Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per month, Verizon
is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their monthly
"international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this additional
$4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it just lowers
it to a more realistic number.

Verizon seems to be taking notes from certain credit card companies who
surcharge international transactions - even ones that are billed in US Dollars.

Most most phones have the "calling card" feature that allows you to
automatically prepend certain calls with the access number and your
calling card number. If you use onesuite your Canada calls can get down
to $0.019/min (1.9 cents/min). It only takes a few minutes to program.

I don't know of anybody that uses a cell phone to make intl calls. The
calling card rates are on average 1/10th the cost. And now that you
don't even have to dial the calling card or access numbers anymore then
there is no reason not to use them.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
> According to this months bills, effective July 1 Verizon is raising rates for
> international calls over 100%. Calls currently priced at .65/minute are being
> raised to $1.49. Calls to Canada and Mexico, curently at .20/minute will be
> charged .49/minute.
>
> On top of this, you will still be charged airtime.
>
> Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per month, Verizon
> is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their monthly
> "international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this additional
> $4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it just lowers
> it to a more realistic number.
>
> Verizon seems to be taking notes from certain credit card companies who
> surcharge international transactions - even ones that are billed in US Dollars.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:36:37 -0600, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr."
<spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote:

>Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per month, Verizon
>is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their monthly
>"international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this additional
>$4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it just lowers
>it to a more realistic number.

Well, you can outsmart Verizon by subscribing to a service such as
Gorillamobile <http://gorillamobile.com> or one suite
<http://onesuite.com> where calls to western Europe are 5 cents/minute
or less to call fixed lines. More expensive to call wirelines, but
definitely lots less than $1.49 per minute!

> Well, you can outsmart Verizon

I am still waiting them to be as smart as themselves. Just the other
day they sent me a mailing saying they noticed I exceeded my plan minutes
(I did 6 months ago and not since then) and they have this really cool
plan for me to change to. It is a stunning plan that is exactly the same
minutes, price, lines etc that I am already on. I would have thought
they would pay some attention to what they mail out. (Mind you I still
get junk mail urging me to switch to VZW as well!)

I sometimes wonder if I could call them up and confuse them into giving
me a better deal.

Roger

Joseph wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:36:37 -0600, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr."
> <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per
month, Verizon
> >is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their
monthly
> >"international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this
additional
> >$4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it
just lowers
> >it to a more realistic number.
>
> Well, you can outsmart Verizon by subscribing to a service such as
> Gorillamobile <http://gorillamobile.com> or one suite
> <http://onesuite.com> where calls to western Europe are 5
cents/minute
> or less to call fixed lines. More expensive to call wirelines, but
> definitely lots less than $1.49 per minute!

After every VZW nikle and dime scheme, I keep hoping the are using it
to build more towers instead of just being greedy orinvesting it in
failed ventures like PTT or Mexican ventures. With falling telecom
rates it's pretty hard to justify the rate increase. Direct
international dialing is a lot easier, but I bet this increase is going
to fall mostly on users with expense accounts, since many will just
program a cheap calling card number string into their cell phones.

I've used Onsuite from home in CA and there was a fair share of call
quality problems. I now use Pincity since they have lots of cheap local
access numbers but their switch overloads during peak times:(

Bigzoo went out of business. Never tried Gorilla mobile. Any other good
cheap calling cards for Califoria users?

-
David

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> > Well, you can outsmart Verizon
>
> I am still waiting them to be as smart as themselves. Just the
other
> day they sent me a mailing saying they noticed I exceeded my plan
minutes
> (I did 6 months ago and not since then) and they have this really
cool
> plan for me to change to. It is a stunning plan that is exactly the
same
> minutes, price, lines etc that I am already on. I would have
thought
> they would pay some attention to what they mail out. (Mind you I
still
> get junk mail urging me to switch to VZW as well!)
>
> I sometimes wonder if I could call them up and confuse them into
giving
> me a better deal.
>
> Roger

I got out of my Verizon contract a few weeks ago after 2 months of
patiently putting up with poor or no service in a three mile radius of
my home where I made and received 25% of my 4000 minutes a month.
Verizon service was great until the end of March. As soon as I got
away from the area I had no problems.

Anyway, I received my "Baby Please Come Back" form letter from them
today. The person or persons who wrote it must have masticated or
somnambulated their way through Public Relations 101 !

The tone of the letter is almost threatening and filled self
aggrandizing BS!

"Remember that with Verizon Wireless, you had access to the nation's
most reliable network. No other wireless provider can give you that
kind of service - or that peace of mind.

At Verizon Wireless, we focus on providing the level of service you
deserve. So, if you are not able to make or receive calls in places
you used to, think about how important your wireless service is to you
and come back to Verizon Wireless."

DOH! why did I leave in the first place? Hey duffus! You're fired!

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:

> I got out of my Verizon contract a few weeks ago after 2 months of
> patiently putting up with poor or no service in a three mile radius of
> my home where I made and received 25% of my 4000 minutes a month.

funny, they refused to let me out of my contract even after six months
of repeated issues with things breaking and not getting fixed... I even
asked for a $150 customer service credit to cover the cost of the ETF...
(of course, they refused to do that too, which is what I figured they'd
do, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:30:19 -0500, Gordy <pego101@hotmail.com> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>spam

How do you figure that? The poster wasn't selling anything. He was just
ranting, and by the standards of this group, it was fairly calm ranting.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Wounded come before personal chafing." - Col. Sherman Potter