Major Rate Increase Coming...

According to this months bills, effective July 1 Verizon is raising rates for
international calls over 100%. Calls currently priced at .65/minute are being
raised to $1.49. Calls to Canada and Mexico, curently at .20/minute will be
charged .49/minute.

On top of this, you will still be charged airtime.

Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per month, Verizon
is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their monthly
"international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this additional
$4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it just lowers
it to a more realistic number.

Verizon seems to be taking notes from certain credit card companies who
surcharge international transactions - even ones that are billed in US Dollars.
8 answers Last reply
More about major rate increase coming

    Most most phones have the "calling card" feature that allows you to
    automatically prepend certain calls with the access number and your
    calling card number. If you use onesuite your Canada calls can get down
    to $0.019/min (1.9 cents/min). It only takes a few minutes to program.

    I don't know of anybody that uses a cell phone to make intl calls. The
    calling card rates are on average 1/10th the cost. And now that you
    don't even have to dial the calling card or access numbers anymore then
    there is no reason not to use them.

    Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
    > According to this months bills, effective July 1 Verizon is raising rates for
    > international calls over 100%. Calls currently priced at .65/minute are being
    > raised to $1.49. Calls to Canada and Mexico, curently at .20/minute will be
    > charged .49/minute.
    >
    > On top of this, you will still be charged airtime.
    >
    > Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per month, Verizon
    > is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their monthly
    > "international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this additional
    > $4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it just lowers
    > it to a more realistic number.
    >
    > Verizon seems to be taking notes from certain credit card companies who
    > surcharge international transactions - even ones that are billed in US Dollars.

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:36:37 -0600, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr."
    <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per month, Verizon
    >is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their monthly
    >"international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this additional
    >$4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it just lowers
    >it to a more realistic number.

    Well, you can outsmart Verizon by subscribing to a service such as
    Gorillamobile <http://gorillamobile.com> or one suite
    <http://onesuite.com> where calls to western Europe are 5 cents/minute
    or less to call fixed lines. More expensive to call wirelines, but
    definitely lots less than $1.49 per minute!

    > Well, you can outsmart Verizon

    I am still waiting them to be as smart as themselves. Just the other
    day they sent me a mailing saying they noticed I exceeded my plan minutes
    (I did 6 months ago and not since then) and they have this really cool
    plan for me to change to. It is a stunning plan that is exactly the same
    minutes, price, lines etc that I am already on. I would have thought
    they would pay some attention to what they mail out. (Mind you I still
    get junk mail urging me to switch to VZW as well!)

    I sometimes wonder if I could call them up and confuse them into giving
    me a better deal.

    Roger

    Joseph wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:36:37 -0600, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr."
    > <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Always looking to increase the average revenue per subscriber per
    month, Verizon
    > >is hoping this will push people to add subscriptions to their
    monthly
    > >"international" addon plan. Its interesting to note that adding this
    additional
    > >$4.99/month does not eliminate the international per minute fee, it
    just lowers
    > >it to a more realistic number.
    >
    > Well, you can outsmart Verizon by subscribing to a service such as
    > Gorillamobile <http://gorillamobile.com> or one suite
    > <http://onesuite.com> where calls to western Europe are 5
    cents/minute
    > or less to call fixed lines. More expensive to call wirelines, but
    > definitely lots less than $1.49 per minute!

    After every VZW nikle and dime scheme, I keep hoping the are using it
    to build more towers instead of just being greedy orinvesting it in
    failed ventures like PTT or Mexican ventures. With falling telecom
    rates it's pretty hard to justify the rate increase. Direct
    international dialing is a lot easier, but I bet this increase is going
    to fall mostly on users with expense accounts, since many will just
    program a cheap calling card number string into their cell phones.

    I've used Onsuite from home in CA and there was a fair share of call
    quality problems. I now use Pincity since they have lots of cheap local
    access numbers but their switch overloads during peak times:(

    Bigzoo went out of business. Never tried Gorilla mobile. Any other good
    cheap calling cards for Califoria users?

    -
    David

    "Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, you can outsmart Verizon
    >
    > I am still waiting them to be as smart as themselves. Just the
    other
    > day they sent me a mailing saying they noticed I exceeded my plan
    minutes
    > (I did 6 months ago and not since then) and they have this really
    cool
    > plan for me to change to. It is a stunning plan that is exactly the
    same
    > minutes, price, lines etc that I am already on. I would have
    thought
    > they would pay some attention to what they mail out. (Mind you I
    still
    > get junk mail urging me to switch to VZW as well!)
    >
    > I sometimes wonder if I could call them up and confuse them into
    giving
    > me a better deal.
    >
    > Roger

    I got out of my Verizon contract a few weeks ago after 2 months of
    patiently putting up with poor or no service in a three mile radius of
    my home where I made and received 25% of my 4000 minutes a month.
    Verizon service was great until the end of March. As soon as I got
    away from the area I had no problems.

    Anyway, I received my "Baby Please Come Back" form letter from them
    today. The person or persons who wrote it must have masticated or
    somnambulated their way through Public Relations 101 !

    The tone of the letter is almost threatening and filled self
    aggrandizing BS!

    "Remember that with Verizon Wireless, you had access to the nation's
    most reliable network. No other wireless provider can give you that
    kind of service - or that peace of mind.

    At Verizon Wireless, we focus on providing the level of service you
    deserve. So, if you are not able to make or receive calls in places
    you used to, think about how important your wireless service is to you
    and come back to Verizon Wireless."

    DOH! why did I leave in the first place? Hey duffus! You're fired!

    Chas.

    * * Chas wrote:

    > I got out of my Verizon contract a few weeks ago after 2 months of
    > patiently putting up with poor or no service in a three mile radius of
    > my home where I made and received 25% of my 4000 minutes a month.

    funny, they refused to let me out of my contract even after six months
    of repeated issues with things breaking and not getting fixed... I even
    asked for a $150 customer service credit to cover the cost of the ETF...
    (of course, they refused to do that too, which is what I figured they'd
    do, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask)

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    spam

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:30:19 -0500, Gordy <pego101@hotmail.com> chose to
    add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >spam

    How do you figure that? The poster wasn't selling anything. He was just
    ranting, and by the standards of this group, it was fairly calm ranting.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Wounded come before personal chafing." - Col. Sherman Potter

Verizon Internet Service Providers