zonealarm 5, is it good?

hi,
I recently started using a cable modem at home and wanted to get a
firewall installed, static ip, to protect myself as I've recently
noticed spywayre applications running in the background. I've used
Spybot and Adaware to remove them, but want to prevent future
occurrences. I was looking at ZoneAlarm, the free version, but after
going to download.com's review section:
http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10291276.html?tag=lst-0-4
it seems like there are plently of issue with version 5, are the
previous version good? I wanted to try it since I've heard it's a
great free firewall, but the latest version has bad reviews, thinking
about trying version 4, but need to know about it first.

Thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about zonealarm good

    soni29 wrote:
    | hi,
    | I recently started using a cable modem at home and wanted to get a
    | firewall installed, static ip, to protect myself as I've recently
    | noticed spywayre applications running in the background. I've used
    | Spybot and Adaware to remove them, but want to prevent future
    | occurrences. I was looking at ZoneAlarm, the free version, but after
    | going to download.com's review section:
    | http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10291276.html?tag=lst-0-4
    | it seems like there are plently of issue with version 5, are the
    | previous version good? I wanted to try it since I've heard it's a
    | great free firewall, but the latest version has bad reviews, thinking
    | about trying version 4, but need to know about it first.
    |
    | Thank you.

    Hi,

    Stay away from version 5, wait until the problems are fixed.
    As far as I'm concerned version 5 is still in beta testing.

    Version 4 is working fine. You can download version 4.5.594.000 from
    there:
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

    --
    S.S.

    "> .... are the
    > previous version good? I wanted to try it since I've heard it's a
    > great free firewall, but the latest version has bad reviews, thinking
    > about trying version 4, but need to know about it first.

    The previous versions are excellent...but they shot themselves in the
    foot in several places with version 5. Don't get version 5 until they take
    the bullets out and the wounds heal. Unfortunately I fear they have
    done considerable damage to their reputation. Version has a number of
    very serious problems.

    "StarScripter" <Star@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > soni29 wrote:
    > | hi,
    > | I recently started using a cable modem at home and wanted to get a
    > | firewall installed, static ip, to protect myself as I've recently
    > | noticed spywayre applications running in the background. I've used
    > | Spybot and Adaware to remove them, but want to prevent future
    > | occurrences. I was looking at ZoneAlarm, the free version, but after
    > | going to download.com's review section:
    > | http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10291276.html?tag=lst-0-4
    > | it seems like there are plently of issue with version 5, are the
    > | previous version good? I wanted to try it since I've heard it's a
    > | great free firewall, but the latest version has bad reviews, thinking
    > | about trying version 4, but need to know about it first.
    > |
    > | Thank you.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Stay away from version 5, wait until the problems are fixed.
    > As far as I'm concerned version 5 is still in beta testing.
    >
    > Version 4 is working fine. You can download version 4.5.594.000 from
    > there:

    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

    > --
    > S.S.

    Some have said that ZAP conflicts with anti-virus software. I have ZAF,
    upgraded to 5.0, with no problems at all.

    Craig wrote:
    <snip>

    | Some have said that ZAP conflicts with anti-virus software. I have
    | ZAF, upgraded to 5.0, with no problems at all.

    Hi,
    Check their forum, you will that a lot of people are having problems.
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

    --
    S.S.

    "StarScripter" <Star@privacy.net> wrote in news:2i4l5dFihgvdU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Craig wrote:
    ><snip>
    >|
    >| Some have said that ZAP conflicts with anti-virus software. I have
    >| ZAF, upgraded to 5.0, with no problems at all.
    >
    > Hi,
    > Check their forum, you will that a lot of people are having problems.
    > http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

    V5 messed up my HP printer drivers and I had to go back to v4 and
    reinstall my printer drivers in order to get my printer to work!

    Sherry

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:04:09 -0400, "DDDD" <someone@some.one> wrote:

    >Is there some way to totally uninstall Zone Alarm Pro from the system?

    You may need to reinstall ZA5, then uninstall it again using:

    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean

    That should clean out any remnants left from the first uninstall.
    Then you could try ZA4.5 again to see if it was still problematic, or install
    whatever you wished.

    --
    dak

Firewalls Networking