Water-cool vs TEC

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Hey,

What's the cost/performance run-down on the two? I've seen the Thermaltake SubZero4G go for about $100, while the water-cooling kits I've seen are upwards from $200, but they cool the whole system.

I actually have my own TEC element, which I bought at Fry's Electronics (i.e. outpost.com), but I'm scared to used it on my comp, esp sice the weather in my living place is freaky. Lately, it's been particularly humid from late summer rains, but in the winter, it'll get toasty and dry since they love to blast up the heaters in the dorms here. Is it too risky to do TEC on my own? Also, will a PC Toys Quietmaxx 6500 (i THINK it's 6500 - whichever one worked for the socket 423 and socket A) remove the heat from the heatsink quickly enough?

-Kallenin

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
You kinda want to use the water cooling system with the TEC to remove the large amount of heat flux to the outside of the case.

Plus HFS's weren't really designed to deal with that high heat flux.

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Ah i get it. So I'm probably safe tossing in the TEC to a water-cooling system....but I'd still have to worry about condensation, right? Also, I've never seen a water-cooling system myself up close (if I ever get to dragging myself out of my room maybe I would...), but can you mount the cooling block to the CPU with the TEC in the way? Or is the cooling block just like a heat sink with a pipe through it, i.e. it fastens onto the CPU with retention clips just like any other HSF combo?

-Kallenin

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
you want a cold-plate between the TEC and CPU
and by cooling block do you mean waterblock? many fasten with the 4 holes in the motherboard (for P4), others with the same retention clips as a normal HSF. nothing tricky about it, really. it's just like mounting anything else

as for worrying about condensation with the TEC, yes you would have to insulate around the CPU to prevent condensation which could cause a short...search the forums or google for ways of doing this

----------------------------------------------
this signature area is too dern short, no space to put your system specs