Gaming Headset with big earcups

The_Leprechaun

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hi, guys, so I'm trying to find a good headset/headphones with big earcups, cause I have pretty big ears (7cm in height) and head, and I don't like it when they are pressed by the headphones, cause then they start to hurt quickly. Comfort is No.1 priority, but obviously good sound is also important. So what would be a good headset for up to 150$ with big earcups? Thanks!

P.S. Will probably order from amazon.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Audio Technia AD-700 + a Zalman clip-on mic. The sound quality will be better than any comparable headset, and the two combined will only run you about $110.00+shipping. The AD-700's cans have very soft velour pads that are intentionally made to sit on your ear and insulate the sound. Unlike what you see in headsets, this material is canted inward and is soft enough that there is no pressure on the outer ear. Additionally, they are open backed which prevents the pressure buildup of closed-back headphones that irritates some people's ear canals, and helps give them a wider sound stage.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as you. When headsets or headphones rest on my outer ear it gets very painful very fast. The AD-700's (and also Beyerdynamic's headphones just to fairly mention them) have so soft and pillowy that I have never had any irritation from the pads resting against my ear.

If you're skeptical about the recommendation though, you can always look for a pair of circumaural headphones (or if quality isn't a big concern for you, headsets even), but quite frankly these are often closed-backed for the sake of preserving bass. For me, I don't want heavy bass when I'm gaming because it muffles footsteps, and closed back headphones irritate my ear canal.

The vast majority of high-quality headphones instead go with the soft velour pads that are very thick, and the feeling is very much like laying your head sideways on a pillow but with less pressure. There is no ridge to provide irritation.

Here is a post from Head-fi (an audiophile site) that discusses many different models of headphones ranging from sub $49.99 all the way to $1000.00. The AD700's are included in these short descriptions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-12-28-12-astro-a50-added

The_Leprechaun

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hmmm, the guy in the link only gives 3/10 for comfort on the AD700s. However I did find other reviews where the comfort is highly evaluated. I will think about this option, although I was hoping to find circumaural (I think that's the word for headphones which cover all the ear in the inner earcup) headphones/headset, thaat would be really comfy for me.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I've never owned a more comfortable pair of headphones. If I had to guess I would assume that maybe his head is too small for the winged support design. The cups themselves are on par with Beyerdynamic's plush cans.

The expanded review in that article for them reads: Spectacular for FPS games. Great detail in the mids and energetic treble. Soundstage is the biggest of any headphone I have heard in Dolby Headphone mode (including the K701). Everything sounds just so crystal clear and sparkly. Directional accuracy is just bloody fantastic (2nd only to the DT770 Pro 80s for me). If you want a headphone that just murders practically everything else for FPS games, the AD700s is that headphone. They are really bass light. That is their biggest issue. Bass is so light, it sounds like a tin can attempting to sound like a subwoofer. Just no bass, lol. So for immersive, non-competitive gaming, these aren't going to impress. The treble can also be quite grating and harsh. They also sound somewhat artificial, so don't expect accurate and realistic sounds coming from this headphone.
Comfort-wise, the pads are super comfortable, but the cans are way too loose for some people, and your ears may touch the drivers which a shock prone person like me couldn't handle anymore.

So it does seem like smaller head sizes or people with ears that are not just big but also stick out may suffer, but I just have a normal sized dome so I can't attest to that. Now that I've mentioned Beyerdynamic twice, it's also worth looking into them although the better models get extremely pricey. Same for AKG unfortunately.