Sign in with
Your question

Asus P55TVP4 at 400mhz

Last response: in Overclocking
September 27, 2003 3:19:53 PM

I have done quite a bit if research and checking to see how far I can upgrade this motherboard. It seems that this board (slot 7) is the less popular of this series with the P55T2P4 (I believe that is the number) being the most popular. Even though the boards are very similar there are some differences. My board (P55TVP4) seems to have been more popular in Europe because I found a lot of information from German and Russian posts, but of course they were of little help since I could not really read them. I also checked the Asus site quite a bit, and it is very helpful... but really did not address my specific issue. Aside from the normal upgrade of memory and cache, I wanted to increase the Pentium 166mhz to a faster system. My main goal was to max out the board to squeeze out another year on the system and to get a new larger harddrive and the new DVD drive to play movies. I had already overclocked the system to 200 mhz and maxed out all memory. I also installed the 40 gig harddrive. While trying to get the hard drive installed, I realized the bios would not support it and in the process flashed an inoperable bios and had to have the chip reprogramed. I also started looking for a CPU upgrade and settled on the AMD K6-2 300mhz. I needed at least 300 mhz for the DVD to work. The biggest challange was making sure the dual voltage setting on the MB would not fry the CPU. This board does not allow the exact voltage setting recommended, but you can get very close and within the range specified by AMD. I also did not want to make any board mods or socket/jumper solder mods. I wanted plug in capability. Apter adjusting the voltage jumpers I installed the K6-2 300 mhz CPU at the 3X setting. This worked, but still not the 300 mhz I was expecting. Then I remembered reading that these chips have a special 2X setting that actually produces 6X preformance. I reset to 2x and now the CPU is running at 400 (399) mhz. The fan was the next challange. I knew the standard Pentium socket 7 fan and heatsink would not be enough to keep this system cool. So I purchased a new socket 7 compatitable fan and a huge heatsink. It had a 3 pin connector (RPM) but I only used the 12v red and black leads and spliced into the power connector where the old fan was. Now the system is running well and at peak preformance. The DVD runs well and in windows the full 40 gig is recognized. However, while booting, it still only see the 8 gig limit. Time will tell if this is an issue. I know I could probably purchased a whole new system running at 3 times the speed for about double what I invested, but what fun is that!!! If anyone wants any detailed information on this upgrade, feel free to let me know.

More about : asus p55tvp4 400mhz

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2003 12:21:08 AM

Why would they want YOUR info when MINE is better? Hehe!

J/K! But I've been telling people the following things:

1.) 2x=6x with most AMD K6-2's (including all 400's).
2.) If you can't find an appropriate voltage setting, 2.8v works and will NOT fry the CPU as long as it's cool.
3.) Ordinary Athlon and PIII coolers (Socket 462 and 370) fit Socket 7 and provide superior cooling.
4.) There are hacked BIOS's on the net that disable the 8GB drive size limit. But better yet, you can use a PCI-IDE adapter (with BIOS) to get higher DMA capability (Up to ATA133, aka UDMA 5), as well as eliminate the size limit.

Nearly all of my Pentium MMX boards (supporting 2.8v or lower) have gotten K6-2 400's or 450's and gone into service, with full warranty, using stock PIII coolers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 1, 2003 5:55:38 PM

I have best clock with K6-2/533MHz and P55T2P4 v3.10

4x83MHz K6-2/533MHz @ 333MHz

FSB JP8 JP9 JP10
83MHz 1-2 1-2 2-3

multiplier:
JP11 JP12
2-3 1-2

(K6-2 multiplier "2" as 4x
and K6-2+ or K6-3+ as 6x )
-----------------------------

MXX best clock is:
w Intel Pentium 200MHz MMX (P55C) (inbox cooler)

3,5x83MHz = 291MHz (no. stable)
3,5x75MHz = 262MHz runs (stable)
3,5x66MHz = 233MHz runs very stable
Related resources
October 1, 2003 7:27:13 PM

My k6 233 doesnt like anything over 266. Also for some reason my mobo is not letting me run at 75mhz fsb, it has the jumper setting when set to 75mhz it continues to use 66mhz, kinda weird.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 2, 2003 12:30:52 AM

I don't know WTF is up with your equipment, and I've never owned a K6-2+/K6-III+, ALL my K6-2's from 350MHz upward operate at 2x=6x, I've had dozens of them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 2, 2003 12:32:42 AM

Oh, it's possible that your BIOS is reporting the wrong speed, check it with WCPUID. NONE of my older boards would report clock speeds above 400MHz in BIOS, which is why I used WCPUID.

October 2, 2003 7:55:08 PM

Yup my bios reports the wrong cpu speed, it reports 280mhz when my cpu is at 266, wcpuid and cpu-z both report 262mhz.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
October 3, 2003 1:23:09 PM

http://www.zone.ee/2ik/3,5x83_200MMX@291MHz.jpg
( MMX 200MHz ( BP80503200 )
http://www.zone.ee/kose2ik/cpu/6_cpud.jpg )

http://www.jump.net/~lcs/kalle/rev3.htm

http://users.skynet.be/el/mmx.html
http://www.topastuces.com/over.html
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~jk163/mips31.lst

http://www.zone.ee/2ik/MMX200@291.56MHz.jpg
(screen 800x600pix, MMX200 3,5x83MHz , inbox-cooler + 80x80 cooler ;)  ASUS P55T2P4 rev 3.10 )<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kose2ik_EST on 10/03/03 11:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 3, 2003 2:44:58 PM

Here is an update on my motherboard. Last night, its been about 2 weeks, I had my first signs if instability. Mostly related to graphics refreshing. While watching a DVD, the screen had a series of "noise" blasts of multicolored interference lines, and then it stopped. I think it might be more related to my 8 mb graphics card and no accelorator. After that it seemed fine. Then this morning while on the internet, the screen went blank and as I cursored over areas of the screeen, portions came back. After re-booting all was fine. Based on anyone elses experience, do you that this is related to the CPU (AMD K6-2 300 mhz) running at 400 mhz? This computer never did this when running the P55 166mhz overclocked to 200mhz. All comments are welcomed.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rroman on 10/03/03 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!