Sign in with
Your question

O/C'in a Dell Dimension 8100

Last response: in Overclocking
September 29, 2003 9:01:30 PM

Well ive decided to overclock my Dell
course the specs are below.

The problem is, no options in the BIOS, they are locked and invisible. Ive heard of programs to enable the options but i cant seem to find them.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks, Brandon

Dell Dimension 8100
p4 1.4ghz
512 RD 800mhz
20gb IBM
80gb WD
SB Live! Digital Value 1024
Geforce 3 64mb

More about : dell dimension 8100

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2003 3:06:03 AM

It can't be done. At least I don't believe it can. Dell gets their boards from Intel. My Intel 850 chipset board doesn't even have a clock generator that can be accessed by PLL tools such as SoftFSB.

If your board was P4 "533MHz" bus capable, you could mod the processor to make it recognised as a P4 1866MHz CPU, but I'm not sure if your board supports that bus speed, and you might need to modify even more pins to increase the core voltage...and then you might end up with a non-functioning CPU anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 30, 2003 9:02:44 PM

First you need to find out the name of the MOBO, typically is MSI or Intell, and the model name. Then replace the BIOS with the Manufactuer BIOS. Speaking as a ex dell tech this is going to be a major pain in the butt and if it does work you will have to use a retail copy of windows.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
Related resources
September 30, 2003 9:20:23 PM

well i know its the intel 850 chipset, the board is green so that also spells intel.. but its a propherity(sp) board. Ive heard of software that will unlock the bios to the o/c settings, in fact ive seen someone download it, but i cant seem to find it now.

second thing, were would the bios be? is it the thing under the big black heat sync?

the thing in the middle of the picture?
http://www.gforums.com/files/picture_241.jpg

Thanks

Dell Dimension 8100
p4 1.4ghz
512 RD 800mhz
20gb IBM
80gb WD
SB Live! Digital Value 1024
Geforce 3 64mb
October 3, 2003 3:25:15 PM

Yeah those Dimenions 8100 and 8200 use the rambus memory. I believe that the 8100s use the pc 800 memory still but either way pentiums can ony be oced by their clock speeds and you are already it the max clock speeds the ram can take. OC rambus it generally a bad idea or in more vauge terms OCing OEM machines is a bad idea. You might get a couple MHZs out of the FSB but nothing more than that.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
!