Getting temps below 49c idle

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am running a TBreb 1700+ at 166x11=1833 at 1.7 volts and my idle temp is at 49c... load 51-54... and I cannot get my temps down below that... if I lower my voltage, I crash in 3DMark2001SE

I have AS3 on an SK7 with a 3700 rpm 80mm fan on it...

1 fan blowing in from the front

1 fan blowing in from the side with a home made duct that poionts toward the cpu

1 fan blowing out the side an inch or two above and back from the side fan blowing in, up more toward my psu (this may be a problem, but I wanted another exhaust)

1 cpu fan off of my origional AMD heatsink blowing out from the rear... there is no place to put a larger fan for exhaust.

And my psu does not move very much air at all.

How much difference will a stronger fan on the cpu make... when I take the case off, my temps do not change that much. What is a better fan for my cpu that will not be too much louder...

Or, should I take my 1700+ @ 1833 overclocked and 49c idle and call it good?

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
ouch, not a good OC for that chip eh?

more to the point: i find it hard to believe that your idle and load temps vary by as little as 2-5C on air cooling - that is one remarkable setup. And for variance that low, I can't believe temps are as high as they are, unless your ambient temperature is very high.

Basically what I'm saying is that I can't make a diagnosis because your temps are too weird - idle temps are pretty easy to figure out, are you sure your load temps are right? I would expect them to be closer to 60C, and if that's the case, then i'd say a stronger cpu fan would do the trick - the sk7 is a pretty strong heatsink itself

----------------------------------------------
this signature area is too dern short, no space to put your system specs

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
oh btw, what are your load voltages? if you need 1.7V for 1833mhz on that chip, it sounds like your voltages drop to like 1.6V or so, which is hurting your overclock. just wanted to point out that a motherboard with better voltage regulators might help out your OC

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Get an 80mm Tornado :) and be sure to keep the fanguard ON if you do.

-Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.84G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 275mhz 3-4-4-8 -Sapphire 9800pro @ 490/780 -SB audigy -80G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 Ultra ATA-133 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Your air flow may be screwed up because of that exhaust fan above your inlet fan in the side of the case. Try disconnecting it and seeing waht happens to your temperatures. You may be getting some swirling and disruptions in airflow.
-Brett

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Cheap motherboard... ECS L7S7A2

I am using a downloaded utility (MBProbe) to read temps... and I have adjusted them. When I am at full load and read the temp, then go to bios and read the temp, I am consistant. But, ya, this utility may not be telling me crap...

I have read about people getting 2.0 GHz with that cpu with 1.6 or 1.65... but I need 1.7 to be stable at 1833... I would love to get 2.0 GHz out the the chip...

Could that be the motherboard? Well, it cost me like $44.00, and it is a second gaming computer friends play on... but the 166 fsb is better than my KT333 Dragon Ultra... it would be cool to sell this ECS motherboard off to someone I love... but overall, it has been fairly stable.

Yes, I, too am concerned about airflow... I am tempted to turn the side fan around and add a blow hole out the top.

I thought am idle to load flux of 4-5 c was about normal. Seems like that is right on my other computer.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
"what are your load voltages? if you need 1.7V for 1833mhz on that chip, it sounds like your voltages drop to like 1.6V or so, which is hurting your overclock. just wanted to point out that a motherboard with better voltage regulators might help out your OC"

You might have hit it on the money here. I have read that these are stripped motherboards, for the readings jump all over the place... but I had thought it was just the readings... that they were actually stable. Maybe i only need 1.6 but it is not stable, so at 1.7 assures that with all the jumps it is at least 1.6 all the time... and as well, 1.7 keeps my temps high. Then a full load may not make it all that hotter...

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
yeah exactly, with 1.7 it assures you're always above 1.6
i don't think that explains your high temps though, because even on idle at 1.7v, you're using almost no power, so your cpu shouldn't be hot, not THAT hot. and when you're at load, you're only at 1.6V.

as for idle-load temps fluctuating 4-5C, that's a very good difference - the type you might see with watercooling, but with air cooling a difference of 10C is far more common, unless your air cooler is really good. but if your air cooler is really good, then why are your temps so high? the only thing i can think of is high case temps/high room temps

when you're measuring load temps, are you measuring them after about a half an hour at load? that should get you pretty close to your true load temp. what are you using to load your cpu?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Good point... I have been running 3DMark 2 or 3 times in a row, then checking tepms... but even when a game like NWN is playing on that computer for a while, a few hours or more, and I go back to desktop, temps are still at 54 c or so.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Is voltage fluxuation caused by bad motherboard or psu, or possible both?

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
possibly both, in my experience the motherboard has been the culprit though. motherboards with higher phase voltage regulators (usually is 2 phase or 3, some as high as 4-phase, and gigabyte motherboards with the "dual power" option have 6-phase voltage regulation!). i have one of these gigabyte boards, and my voltage does not dip at all from idle to load. it always varies from 1.61 to 1.63, every few seconds, i love it =)
anyway, check that out when buying a mobo for OC stability. 3-phase is generally pretty good. search google images for "mosfets" for pictures of what i'm talking about

as for checking load temps, i don't find 3dmark produces the best estimates. dl Prime95 <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm" target="_new">here</A> and install, tell it you don't want to be part of the web research team, you just want to test stability/torture. then, once in the program, go to "options" and "torture test" and run that for like 1/2hr or an hour, monitoring your temps the whole time. that'll get you load temps