noisy fan.. wat resistor to use...?

mike88

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
i got the sunon 120cfm fan and on 7 volts on my rheobus its still noisy as... i wanna buy a resistor from a local electric store... i was wondering which watts/ohms resistor to get? so i have duel control over it...i want a resistor that slows it down so i bring it to lower than 7 volts... i think the fan model is 1209pmb1-a and any1 had any expierence using resistors? at the moment dick smith electronics has a wide range of resistors... just goto http://www.dse.com.au/ and search up 'resistor'

thx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend against using resistors to reduce voltage. Instead I recommend you power your fan off a 5v line if you want it at 5v (some won't run that low), or use the +12v and +5v lines to make a 7v current if you would rather use 7v. If you want to reduce it slightly below 7v, use +12v on the fan's positive, +5v on the fan's negative, and put the rheostat in series.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>