Steam App games problem downloading

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi.

I downloaded Steam on my new PC (HDD). I transferred the entire Steamapp folder to my new pc and transferred it to the new Steam folder as per Steam's own instructions.

But when I clicked on my games to play, I have restart every game from scratch.
Why is that? Shouldn't my saved games be there so that I can pick up where I left?

Thank you.

Solution
C:\Users\InsertNameHere\Documents\my games\Company of Heroes\Savegames

Your things should be in there.

Go to the:
C:\Users\InsertNameHere\Documents\my games\
for the Empire:Total War one. I don't have that game so I don't know the exact directory.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Not necessarily, your save games could be in a multitude of places largely depending on where the developer decided to put them. I would check your user profile folder and it's subfolders, namely My Documents and Saved Games as a good starting point. These are merely the main save game locations, you will find other save game files in other locations so happy hunting.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Specifically.....1) Empire:Total War; it is a steam game (but I think with no "cloud" function). It shows that I have played over 350hours, but there is no option for continuing my game :(
2) Company of heroes: I had finished part 1 already, and was exactly half way on part 2 (opposing fronts); it is showing no "continue" for part 1 which means I have to restart, but opposing fronts is exactly where I left off....Strange....

So the developer for CoH is the same, therefore the files should all be in one place. I can't figure out what has happened!
Please help/advise.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Specifically.....1) Empire:Total War; it is a steam game (but I think with no "cloud" function). It shows that I have played over 350hours, but there is no option for continuing my game :(
2) Company of heroes: I had finished part 1 already, and was exactly half way on part 2 (opposing fronts); it is showing no "continue" for part 1 which means I have to restart, but opposing fronts is exactly where I left off....Strange....

So the developer for CoH is the same, therefore the files should all be in one place. I can't figure out what has happened!
Please help/advise.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
C:\Users\InsertNameHere\Documents\my games\Company of Heroes\Savegames

Your things should be in there.

Go to the:
C:\Users\InsertNameHere\Documents\my games\
for the Empire:Total War one. I don't have that game so I don't know the exact directory.

Solution

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Ok. SO I have looked at other places and you guys were right. Relic has put some files in various locations. But what do I do now? Do I copy those into a MyGames created folder in my new pc? Please advise.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Thank you. I found that. So, as my next query suggests, should I copy those onto my new hard drive? IF so, how? I can't install them into the Steam folder, I assume. Should I create a My Games folder under my documents in the new HDD?