Norton firewall slows internet access to a CRAWL - Symante..

At first I thought my internet provider was at fault. For about four days I
put up with PAINFULLY slow internet access because I thought it was just
busy. Then I spent days checking for non-existent viruses. Eventually I
realised the Norton firewall was guzzling 95%+ of CPU time as soon as I
started my browser. I logged on to this newsgroup and got the information I
needed.

I have Norton systemworks 2002 and although I kept up with all the viral
updates I saw no reason to pay for updates to the firewall (and still
don't).

The firewall was not a demo or a beta-testing program. I paid for a
fully-functional program that worked until two weeks ago. Now it seems that
Symantec have (intentionally or otherwise) crippled a program that I own
outright by downloading inappropriate "updates" along with my virus program.

I am a registered user of this product. Why did Symantec not inform me by
E-Mail that there was a problem and give instructions on a patch?

I am also the registered owner of a fully-functional 2002 Toyota Highlander.
Recently I received through the mail a notice telling me that the child
safety locks on this model had been found to be defective. They told me that
I could take my Highlander into any dealership and have it fixed free. Why
are the software companies not similarly liable? What would happen if Toyota
told me it no longer "supported" my 2002 model and that my garage would no
longer fix it?

I'm tired of all this nonsense from software companies. Maybe it's time to
make them accountable.

George
5 answers Last reply
More about norton firewall slows internet access crawl symante

    Updates to any firewall product are extremely important.

    You did not pay for a fully functional program...you paid for a license to
    use it for one year. You chose not to renew the license at the end of that
    term. End of story.

    Bill Crocker

    "George" <George@GreatWhiteNorth.ca> wrote in message
    > At first I thought my internet provider was at fault. For about four days
    > put up with PAINFULLY slow internet access because I thought it was just
    > busy. Then I spent days checking for non-existent viruses. Eventually I
    > realised the Norton firewall was guzzling 95%+ of CPU time as soon as I
    > started my browser. I logged on to this newsgroup and got the information
    > needed.
    >
    > I have Norton systemworks 2002 and although I kept up with all the viral
    > updates I saw no reason to pay for updates to the firewall (and still
    > don't).
    >
    > The firewall was not a demo or a beta-testing program. I paid for a
    > fully-functional program that worked until two weeks ago. Now it seems
    that
    > Symantec have (intentionally or otherwise) crippled a program that I own
    > outright by downloading inappropriate "updates" along with my virus
    program.

    > I am a registered user of this product. Why did Symantec not inform me by
    > E-Mail that there was a problem and give instructions on a patch?
    >
    > I am also the registered owner of a fully-functional 2002 Toyota
    Highlander.
    > Recently I received through the mail a notice telling me that the child
    > safety locks on this model had been found to be defective. They told me
    that
    > I could take my Highlander into any dealership and have it fixed free. Why
    > are the software companies not similarly liable? What would happen if
    Toyota
    > told me it no longer "supported" my 2002 model and that my garage would no
    > longer fix it?
    >
    > I'm tired of all this nonsense from software companies. Maybe it's time to
    > make them accountable.
    >
    > George

    I had the same problem awhile back. What happed was the firewall rules
    got corrupt somehow. IF you go to Norton's site and search for
    ISRLRSTR.EXE and run it. That will solve your problem. I can email it
    to you if you want. You might have already did this, I'm not sure.

    Your comparisons between NSW and a car reminds me of a few things:

    1) If M$ made cars. http://www.vbrad.com/Misc/hum_ms_cars.htm

    2) There are major differences between NSW and your Toyota. The Toyota
    costs $30 to $40 thousand or more, I don't know. The NSW probably cost
    around $100. The car comes with a warranty and government mandated
    safety items that must be functional.

    You are able to file suit against Toyota if the vehicle is defective
    in design, you can't against Norton. If you read the licensing
    agreement that you agreed to by installing the product. It basically
    states that the s/w might or might not work correctly, it might or
    might not do as we are say it would and they might or might not fix
    any problems that might be found.

    3) Your Toyota comes with a warranty that lasts for a specific period
    of time that they will fix it for you. Are you going to say that they
    should continue to repair the car for free for as long as you own the
    car. I think not. I know the current Norton s/w provides updates for 1
    year and support for the same amount. They do not have to provide
    support of life, unless that was in the licensing agreement.

    As long as people design s/w there is always the possibility that
    there will be defects.

    Jeff

    p.s. I did a check on your Toyota and found that Toyota has issued
    between 24 & 31 service bulletins, depending on model, concerning your
    vehicle. How many of them did the notified you of?

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:39:37 -0400, "George"
    <George@GreatWhiteNorth.ca> wrote:

    >At first I thought my internet provider was at fault. For about four days I
    >put up with PAINFULLY slow internet access because I thought it was just
    >busy. Then I spent days checking for non-existent viruses. Eventually I
    >realised the Norton firewall was guzzling 95%+ of CPU time as soon as I
    >started my browser. I logged on to this newsgroup and got the information I
    >needed.
    >
    >I have Norton systemworks 2002 and although I kept up with all the viral
    >updates I saw no reason to pay for updates to the firewall (and still
    >don't).
    >
    >The firewall was not a demo or a beta-testing program. I paid for a
    >fully-functional program that worked until two weeks ago. Now it seems that
    >Symantec have (intentionally or otherwise) crippled a program that I own
    >outright by downloading inappropriate "updates" along with my virus program.
    >
    >I am a registered user of this product. Why did Symantec not inform me by
    >E-Mail that there was a problem and give instructions on a patch?
    >
    >I am also the registered owner of a fully-functional 2002 Toyota Highlander.
    >Recently I received through the mail a notice telling me that the child
    >safety locks on this model had been found to be defective. They told me that
    >I could take my Highlander into any dealership and have it fixed free. Why
    >are the software companies not similarly liable? What would happen if Toyota
    >told me it no longer "supported" my 2002 model and that my garage would no
    >longer fix it?
    >
    >I'm tired of all this nonsense from software companies. Maybe it's time to
    >make them accountable.
    >
    >George

    George,

    Are you running NIS/NPF 2002 on Win NT/2K/XP or on Win 9x/ME?

    If NT/2K/XP, check for the existence of symids.sys and symidsco.sys.

    If 9x/ME, check for the existence of symids.vxd and symidsco.vxd.

    Thanks Joseph.

    symidsco.sys is present but symids.sys is not. I checked sonof jays article
    at
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10357746~mode=flat~days=9999~start=120
    (scroll down to "we may have a winner")
    READ THE CAVEATS!!!

    As I understand it, the updates for the new "Symantec redirect" program
    (2003 and 2004 versions of the firewall) have deleted the symids.sys file in
    2002 versions, crippling the software. This might account for the sudden
    announcement by Symantec that 2002 versions are no longer supported. (Now I
    know how the Christians felt when they were thrown to the lions).

    If you have a 2002 version of Norton Firewall and run Windows XP this is for
    you. It worked for me and I am now back to my original internet speed.

    Thanks sonof jay!

    "Daddy, who was that masked man . . . . ."

    George

    "Joseph V. Morris" <jvmorris@erols.com> wrote in message
    > George,
    >
    > Are you running NIS/NPF 2002 on Win NT/2K/XP or on Win 9x/ME?
    >
    > If NT/2K/XP, check for the existence of symids.sys and symidsco.sys.
    >
    > If 9x/ME, check for the existence of symids.vxd and symidsco.vxd.

    George,

    Well, actually, I've just done the same thing with Win98 SE and NIS 2002 FE!
    One important difference: for Win 98 SE, the file is symids.vxd; for Win
    NT/2K/XP, the file is symids.sys.

    "George" <George@GreatWhiteNorth.ca> wrote in message
    .. . . .
    > As I understand it, the updates for the new "Symantec redirect" program
    > (2003 and 2004 versions of the firewall) have deleted the symids.sys file
    in
    > 2002 versions, crippling the software.

    > This might account for the sudden
    > announcement by Symantec that 2002 versions are no longer supported. (Now
    > know how the Christians felt when they were thrown to the lions).

    Actually, that announcement was pretty old; goes back to January 2004 as I
    recall, but the updates are still there in the 13 May 2004 LiveUpdate. For
    some odd reason, symids.sys/vxd gets installed and then erased on the next
    re-boot (if you're so lucky that it takes that long!) Still can't figure
    out why that happens.

    Solution is to copy the OS-appropriate file into the windows\system
    directory and everything goes back to normal. (Take my word for it; I'm
    running it now.)
    .. . . .

Firewalls Internet Access Norton Networking