D2D Water Cooling VS WaterBlock

gmayol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I've been reading about direct to die cooling (sorry I don't remember the web page, they managed to overclock one Duron and a ThunderBird CPU) which got nice results (600 l/hour pump and 1/4 of inch of diameter for the piping) but I think they compared to systems with other configuration ... (worst pump and less diameter pipes ...)
I have access to a cutting plotter able to cut both aluminum and carefully Cuper (to mount a waterblock), but seems easier to cut plastic with the needed accuracy so it can be adjusted to the CPU (Barton XP 2500+) to get the D2D cooling, but is that risk worthy ?
Better pumps (1200 l/hour and more) are also available, so
wouldn't be easier to improve the results by increasing the pumps flow rate in place of gettin' the processor underwater ?

I've been tempted to get a new huge box to fashion made of a home freezer ... Wouldn't be that easier ? ;-) (it is just a joke, but I think someone has taken to real...)

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
watch out for direct die cooling - from what i know, the cpu cores fail after a few months because they're not 100% waterproof. besides that, i don't actually know if there is an improvement over using the best waterblocks. i don't imagine it's much of one, if there is, and imo it's not worth the risk of killing your processor in a few months

----------------------------------------------
this signature area is too dern short, no space to put your system specs

Colt357TW

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
before you D2D water down your CPU, please silicon insulate all exposed components on your CPU, spread a bead of silicon around CPU die (not on the CPU die, just all 4 sides will do) also a very good idea.