Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Home Premium Freeze/ Crash During Game Play

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 2, 2010 10:51:14 AM

Hello,

I'm new to Tom's Hardware and I'm having a few issues that maybe you can all help me out on:

My computer crashes on EVERY game I own on steam ranging from Modern Warfare 2 - Bad Company 2 - Counter Strike: Source as well as Lord of the Rings Online and League of Legends.

I have tried everything ranging from memtest86 to switching out components but nothing seems to work to keep my machine from crashing.

It used to crash with my old XFX 4890 so I bought a new 5870. and I ran memtest86 about 3 passes or so with no error. So that weeds out the video card and memory.

In the beginning of the month I bought a new GA-890fxa-ud5 motherboard, 2x 4 GB Ripjaws, Sapphire 5870 2 GB, Corsair H50 cooler, and a Coolermaster HAF 932 case to bring my gaming rig back from the stone ages...

My old components include a 40 GB Intel SSD, a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda, and a 1000W Rosewill Power supply.

My computer does not make mini dumps even when the mini dump settings are correct however I do get a Kernel-Power Critical Error that I am assuming comes from me restarting my computer after it does not restart itself.

All drivers are up to date and so is the BIOS (F5)...

Please help!!
November 2, 2010 11:10:09 AM

I would recheck your drivers this is often the issue. Also check your hard drive for errors. This could be causing the problem. help to do this can be found here - http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/GuideTests.php

might be worth checking the power supply too ... a faulty one can cause strange issues.
Score
November 2, 2010 1:29:43 PM

I have checked and rechecked my drivers. My HDDs are all OK according to SMART status and HDTune. Now really its up to the PSU and still possibly my Memory. Grrrr this is so frustrating. Is there an easy way to test if its the PSU besides buying a new one?
Score
Related resources
November 2, 2010 1:40:48 PM

Sorry for the double post but just for clarification because I have had issues with this before http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... the driver at this link: AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset \ sata raid driver) seems to be only an ATI Catalyst driver. This has caused me problems in the past when I installed it so I don't know whether or not this could be a solution to my problem or not... I have not installed this driver on my fresh Win7 install in fear of it making the crashes and BSODs worse.

Also I noticed it says its for SATA RAID and chipset drivers but I am having no luck finding either in the folder that supposedly contains all of the drivers mentioned in its description.

--------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------------

Found the drivers in win7_chipset\Config but I'm not sure as to what I need to install. It looks like there are a few set-up files in there for SATA and RAID... Suggestions?

The files are:

atiicdxx
chipset
MMTableRev0
MMTableRev1
MMTableRev2
tvtablerev1
TVW_USB_ID
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2010 6:58:18 PM

so how is it running now.?
Score
November 2, 2010 7:22:27 PM

Haven't had a chance to work on it today. I will be home from work in a few hours :) 
Score
November 3, 2010 9:08:54 AM

OK, got home tried everything I mentioned above. Apparently that chipset driver was all just a video driver. Don't know if that is Gigabytes mix up or I don't know what chipest means.

Anyhow, I also tried LinX for 20 minutes with no errors. I'm now thinking that it is my PSU or my apartment's power. So what should my next move be? Buy a new PSU or buy a UPS to see if that changes anything?

If neither of those help or work I am going to have to guess its my mobo.

Any more suggestions?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 10:50:48 AM

1000 watt psu is overkill in my eyes anyways..
Score
November 3, 2010 11:39:10 AM

Right, but why is it undervolting (maybe the problem) when it has undervolt protection? I know that 1000W is overkill but I am constantly adding fan controllers, fans, and case lights. Also I am looking to expand to crossfireX but that has nothing to do with this thread...

Any new suggestions anyone? Should I move this thread somewhere else?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 12:30:11 PM

just hold on...
let me read this again.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 2:11:42 PM

"My old components include a 40 GB Intel SSD, a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda, and a 1000W Rosewill Power supply.

My computer does not make mini dumps even when the mini dump settings are correct however I do get a Kernel-Power Critical Error that I am assuming comes from me restarting my computer after it does not restart itself. "
you stated this correct.?

did you re-fromat the drives into a RAID configuration including the format and clean install of os.?
or did you just carry drives over not formatted but just installed OS or what.?
please explain.
do you have another power supply for testing.?
do you have detail about the kernal-power critical error, jot down some notes next time you see it.
Score
November 3, 2010 3:42:13 PM

My old components are being used in my new build. I get the Kernal Power Error in Windows Event Viewer every time my computer freezes (sounds loop and monitor distorts into lines and colors) and I reboot.

My SSD was reformatted with a new of Win7, my 500 GB HDD is only used for data storage. Both have been tested and are OK.

I do not have another PSU for testing. I am going home this weekend where my friend may have an extra.

I will copy-paste the info I get out of Event Viewer for your review when I get off work.

Thanks for responding, malmental.
Score
November 3, 2010 8:28:02 PM

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/1/2010 8:29:54 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: BennyJ-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-02T00:29:54.641616000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3542</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>BennyJ-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 8:34:52 PM

cannot even run memtest without errors now.?
when was the last time you ran it.?
run it again for me.

hmmm, motherboard or power supply is what i'm thinking now.
need to troubleshoot more.
you gotta get that psu and test..
Score
November 4, 2010 9:35:44 AM

No, no, no... I have run memtest86 a few times with NO errors. I spoke with G.Skill last night to see if there was anything I could do with my memory and they told me add +.10 Volts to the memory. I'm thinking that worked. It makes sense because if you were undervolting the RAM (8 GBs worth) very slightly you wouldn't notice anything until you were under high load ie. a computer game and were using 60% or more of the memory. Last night I played 4 hours of computer games (BC2 & Batman: Arkham Asylum) without one crash. These games are really graphic and CPU intensive which makes me believe that my system withstanding this stress for 4 hours without a crash means the problem is fixed.

I will keep this thread updated with a stability report once a day starting Monday. I really hope this fixed it. *sigh*
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 10:47:01 AM

that does make sense and when troubleshooting the psu that would have been found then..
good job regardless.
enjoy..
November 4, 2010 10:50:25 AM

Thanks, buddy... I will add you as the best answer since I kinda answered it myself. Thanks for sticking with my thread. Stay tuned for updates.
Score
November 4, 2010 10:50:30 AM

Best answer selected by eggsnbakey.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 11:05:21 AM

will do bro.
thanks.
Score
November 4, 2010 11:36:55 AM

I had a similar Kernel Power Error Event 41 that plauged my new build for months. It was also RAM related, but had to do with the 'auto' settings of the timing. If I set it to stock settings per the RAM instructions then I had no problems, but with 'auto' selected on the RAM my system would crash from between 30 seconds of booting or 15 minutes, or during an attempt to play any game.

Good luck.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 11:40:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!