Treo 650 released

Verizon released the Treo 650 today.

A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM
and replace it with the TMobile SIM and use the phone with TMobile and
vice-versa?

How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

--
Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply

There's a GSM version of the Treo. If it were unlocked, then moving an
alternate SIM in could work-- but only GSM to GSM.

CDMA phones traditionally cannot do this (at all). Verizon provides an
online ESN changer so you can
swap phones at home using a web browser, but there's no SIM slot in CDMA
phones.

CDMA phones (some) support a RUIM slot which is similar in function to a GSM
SIM, but not interchangeable with GSM phones. i.e. If implemented, a Verizon
customer could move their RUIM card to another CDMA phone. To my knowledge,
no US carrier has ever implemented RUIM cards, although some modern phones
at least have the slot.

Basically CDMA and GSM are not compatible technologies. I once thought that
as GSM moved to WCDMA there would be some roaming capability between CDMA &
GSM, but further reading seems to indicate the technologies will remain
incompatible for some time to come.

-Dan

PS: Muddying the water a bit, is that Verizon does sell at least one hybrid
phone that does CDMA in the US, and GSM when outside the US (in places where
Verizon has a roaming agreement). That's another matter.

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

It is alleged that Carl Price claimed:

; Verizon released the Treo 650 today.

Yay!

; A question though. I have both Verizon and TMobile service. I use
; TMobile for travel to Europe with a SonyErricson T610. As I understand
; it the Treo uses a SIM card. Is it possible to take out the Verizon SIM

Not quite. GSM phones use a SIM card. Therefore, the Cingular and
TMobile phones have them, but the VZW and Sprint phones do not.

; How would one go about doing this since TMobile does not carry the 650
; and according to their rep they have no plans to carry it.

The last TMobile person I spoke to said that he expects the 650,
because they stopped receiving the 600. This is something they tend to
do prior to releasing a new model: stop delivering units of the model
being replaced by a new version.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Oh, it's a rebirth ceremony, all right. It also doubles as a marriage
ceremony. Depending on how seriously anyone took it, somebody got
married the other day." "Maybe that's why G'Kar was smiling. Funny. I
didn't think Londo was his type." (Catherine Sakai and Cmdr. Sinclair,
B5 "The Parliament Of Dreams")

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The verizon web site shows it ..but it is out of stock!