Sign in with
Your question

Just got Volcano-9,PC config sugg. LONG!

Last response: in Overclocking
October 23, 2003 1:21:26 AM

Hey,

After saying to myself that I wouldn't spend anymore money on my computer, I went out and bought a ThermalTake Volcano 9 and the Case Duct mod. I just recently bought my PC, so here are the specs first off.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Asus A7N8X-DX Rev2.0
Kingston 512MB DDR-400 CL2.5 (2 of em)
Aspire X-Dreamer I Case
Enermax EG-365P-VE Whisper Power Supply
MSI GeForceFX 5600 8912-VTD (128 meg, AGP 8x, vivo card)
Thermaltake Volcano 9 w/ case duct mod

Let me just start off with saying that the Volcano 9 and the duct mod were a bitch to install. First off, when I installed my Enermax PS, I had to hammer down a little metal slab that sticks out of the frame, just so that I could fit it into my case and install the top-mount fan, because otherwise, this metal slab would not allow the fan to go into place. But anyhoo, when I was trying to install the heatsink, it was just too damn big to clamp down, so I had to take off the fan and just try the heatsink itself, and still have major difficulties. So I ended up taking off the metal cover (a aesthetic slab between the fan and heatsink), and then trying. After a few tries, and a lot of nerve-wrecking moments of thinking the mobo would break at any moment when I was trying to push down the clamp with a knife, or the knife stipping itself and busting the circuitry, I finally got it on. So I screwed the aesthetic piece back on, then proceeded to try to install the duct mod. I didn't have any regular screw drivers around (letalone a thin necked one to install the mod), so I was relying on my keychain swiss army knife's screw driver a whole lot. It took me over two hours to get everything installed and setup. TOoo fricking long and hard for a heatsink. But after all the trouble, it all works, and with 5 total fans, it sounds like a fighter-jet, just what papa wants, a fighter! Mwaha.

So I've sorta started getting into modding my PC since the case is just damn cool. Here are my current configurations for my rig, please let me know if I could improve on something below since I am a little on the lackage-of-knowledge on the BIOS tweaking of overclocking (required voltages, frequencies, etc.)

-----------------
--Bios Settings--
-----------------

RAM SETTING : 5-2-2-2T
RAM Freq : 166mhz in dual channel mode
CPU running at stock speed (1.83ghz, 166mhz FSB, 11.0 multiplier)

-------------------
--Case/Fan config--
-------------------

[Enermax power supply]
-80mm intake-fan (3-pin) plugged into mobo (POWER_FAN) for RPM readings
-Temp. sensor 'hangs' beside CPU Heatsink's fins (adjust RPM dependant on valcano exhaust)
-80mm intake-fan located underside the unit, conveniently sucks up CPU exhaust
-RPM can not be modified (without a fanbus)
-Power supply Fan blows OUT of case (duh)
-80mm-intake fan sucks air from underside of PS, to be redirected by PS-Fan OUT of case

[ThermalTake Volcano 9 w/ Duct mod]
-Duct-mod installed so that looking at the side of the case, the "TT"-grill faces towards front of case
-Thermal-Diode taped onto underside of the CPU itself by themal-adhesive tape
-(3-pin) RPM Monitor plugged into mobo (CPU_FAN)
-Auto-Adjust mode activated because of thermal-diode connected (and a jumper removed)
-Blows air from inside case onto CPU heatsink

[Case Fan#1]
-Mounted onto "blow-hole" of case
-connects via 4-pin (molex?) wire
-no RPM control/monitoring
-Blows air OUT of case

[Case Fan#2]
-Mounted on side window of case
-connects via 4-pin (molex?) wire
-no RPM control/monitoring
-Blows air OUT of case

----------------
--Temp/Fan RPM--
----------------
*readings taken from Asus-Probe v2.19.07*
*I've heard it's not the best probing proggie*

[IDLE STATUS]
Temp
CPU - 37°C/98F
Mobo - 28°C/82F

Fan RPM
CPU - 2410
Chassis - 1950

[LOAD STATUS]
inconclusive

-----------
--Voltage--
-----------
*Asus-Probe readings*

+12V @ 12.288
+5V @ 4.999
+3.3V @ 3.424
Vcore @ 1.696
One thing that does concern me is that the Volcano and Case Fan #2 almost touch when the side-panel is in place. There isn't even half a pinky's width between them. Should this be of concern, or is there enough airflow out of the case that the Volcano isn't intaking warm air inside the case despite the side-fan blowing air out right beside it.
I'm also not too sure about whether it was a good idea to have taped the diode to the CPU itself since I've read that the diod will read the temp. of the CPU dye instead of the actual cpu temp. Confirmation anyone?
Also, I applied thermal-paste onto the CPU directly to cover the center microchip on the CPU, then placed into the socket, then isntalled the heatsink over it, was that wise? Should I have applied more thermal paste to cover other stuff instead of just the centerpiece of the CPU?

So......what do you think? (yeah, it was long....)

Remember, when in doubt, even monkeys fall from trees sometimes.
October 23, 2003 2:16:49 AM

Sorry to tell this but the Ducting mod seems to decrease performance, so if you could return it then do it. 1 more suggestion if you don't mind me saying if you could return the entire Volcano 9, buy a Vantec Aeroflow it's a little bit better however at half the noise level. Actually 1 more thing if you could return the 5600 and buy a 9600pro that would be GREAT. Since the 5600 is sh*t on a stick for games. I was too lazy to read your post throughly sorry, so from the temps and the voltages your system seems good. Also get a program called MBM5(motherboard monitor 5) to monitor your temperatures. Because the Asus Probe could be as far as 10C off.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.51G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 270mhz 2.5-4-4-8 -Geforce2 MX400(i know i know) -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU
October 23, 2003 6:40:05 AM

"Should I have applied more thermal paste to cover other stuff instead of just the centerpiece of the CPU?"

good god no! just the center piece that sticks out, thats the core.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
October 23, 2003 6:40:06 AM

"Should I have applied more thermal paste to cover other stuff instead of just the centerpiece of the CPU?"

good god no! just the center piece that sticks out, thats the core.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
!