Optical Mice, Are they better?!?

G

Are optical mice better for gaming, for say counter strike?? i like IBMs three button optical but im wanting to know if they really are better for gaming than a normal wheel mouse! THANKs!

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I have an optical mouse and its great. They are definantly better. If the one you are looking at is USB it will respond quicker than PS/2

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!! :wink: :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
You probably won't notice a difference between USB and PS/2.

Optical mice are way better, though. I have the Logitech cordless optical mouse, and I love it.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I have the logitech optical cordless too, one thing I noticed is that acceleration is turned on by default- made me really sick in games, is fine when turned off though.
They arnt cheap, but they are very good.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

FatBurger

Illustrious
I like a little bit of acceleration, but you're right, it's definitely noticeable. I turned mine down a bit.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

ARgh...I have a optical logitech wheelman mouse...and for me its terrible. If you move the mouse too fast it loses its tracking...very annoying in games. Most of my friends don't notice because they use a higher sensitivity so they don't have 2 move the mouse as fast as me, but I like low sensitivity because I play counter strike (more accurate shots =) I wish there was a way 2 increase the bandwidth the device used so it wouldn't lose its tracking...

In my opinion a good trackball is still better although a higher end optical mouse probably doesn't have this silly problem.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Are you sure acceleration is turned off on the mouse settings in control panel? this is what I was referring to in the above post, also in most (well a lot of) games you can tune the mouse sensitivity in the game itself independantly from windows.

G

Yes I know these things...I don't use acceleration either. In regular windows when I move the mouse across fairly long distances at high speeds it just goes bezerk. Its totally hilarious. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON A OPTIC MOUSE THAT KEEP UP WITH FAST PACE GAMING? I heard the microsoft explorer is nice but I don't like purchasing anything from microsoft...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Calm down, buddy.

The MS one is nice, but it's too light for me. I like my mice to have a bit of feel to them. The shape is nice. Side buttons aren't that great.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I use the logitech optical cordless, have no problems in games (mainly Quake2!!, counterstrike, bit of UT)

G

I think so, i use it all the time for drawing in corel or photoshop. i don't think i could go back to the wheel

You going to let another guy lay his hands on your girl? I wouldn't. Be your own tech service.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have read that the Logitech dual-optical mouse doesn't have this problem. But it's not cordless ... not yet.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you know that Logitech just put a bit of steel in the mouse to make it feel heavy? Well, at least for the dual mouseman optical.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Novakain on 12/17/01 03:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
And why did somebody drag up a 5 month old post?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>