Network - Routers & Switches?

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
Hi guys, i am currently going to buy a Router to share my DSL connection. But i just found out that a switch can do same job what i want, and the switch is like $50 cheaper than a router. so i am just wondering there is any differences between a router and a switch.
thanks for your reply.

:)

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
well since many good 4 port routers are selling for about 50.00 that would mean you can get free switches.. anyway with only a switch you will need a way to give each computer\nic its own IP ( a router does this as part of its hardware)

<font color=red><b> It may be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others</font color=red></b>

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
cami : dynamic IP

lagger: no wonder there are more people getting a router than gettting a switch.

so how about a crossover net cable, what is it for? and any differences between a crossover cable and a regular cable? sorry about bothering you guys, but i really wanna know. thanks

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm" target="_new">crossover and straight through cables</A>

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Use crossover for PC to PC. Straight thru for PC to network devices.

I would go for a router, use NAT if possible and use the default private IP addressing for the PCs. NAT will also act a pretty good firewall.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
Thanks guys, so can i share my dsl connection with another computer by using a single crossover cable?? i mean without a router and a switch. One is Windows XP, and another one is Windows ME. Both of them have 2 different Network Cards installed. (4 different NIC totally :))

Thanks.