Misiolek

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
I have a 2.8 gig P4 on an Asus P4P800-VM motherboard. Everything on it is water cooled, CPU, Northbridge, Southbridge, video card, hard drive - even the power supply. I have it clocked to a modest 3.1 gig. Since the bios on this motherboard is "locked", I'm using CPUCool to clock the ICS 952607 (PLL). It works, but the clock doesn't show up in the bios on the re-boot. I have to use CPU-Z to see it. Would it be possable to flash the Asus P4P800-VM with a bios from say an Asus P4P800? Is anyone out there using CPUCool? Also, I've been noticing some temp changes. It starts out: CPU - 78f, Motherboard - 95f. Then four hours later it jumps to: CPU - 82f, Motherboard - 100. Why is it doing this? Sometimes it goes higher. How hot is too hot?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P4P800 BIOS SHOULD work, but of course eliminate the functionality of the onboard graphics. I'm supprised they locked the BIOS on this thing, you might be able to find hacked BIOS at a BIOS hacker's site.

I've done some BIOS hacking and know that it would just be a matter of adding/replacing a few files to get those features back, so an expert hacker shouldn't have any problem.

At any rate, there's a possibility it won't work. It would be handy if you had a spare BIOS chip. There's a BIOS chip hot-switch unit on the market called the RD1 BIOS Savior, which would help you in your experimentation!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Misiolek

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
That's sounds great. I don't care about the onboard VGA because I'm using a G4 card in the AGP slot anyway. So I wouldn't loose much. Do you know of a good Bios Hacking site? I don't have an extra bios chip, so it would have to be someone who knows what they're doing. I e-mailed Asus to ask them if I could swap out the bios. Who knows when I'll hear from them, though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm once again going to recommend you purchase an RD1 Bios Savior. This is a small device that plugs into your BIOS socket. It contains a BIOS chip and another socket, and a switch. You install your stock BIOS into it's socket, boot the computer, then flip the switch to the other BIOS chip before flashing. If the flash doesn't work, switch back and try again. It allows you to "hot swap" BIOS chips without having to physically remove them over and over again. One of these should cost around $30, and can be reused on any system that has the same BIOS socket type.

With this device you can actually make money reflashing corrupted chips for your friends!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>