9600P 500/385-Unusual overclock?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an AIW 9600 Pro at 500/385. People are asking me strange questions about cooling and RAMsinks. I haven't made any RAMsinks for it yet, and the only change in cooling was to go with a small passive cooler and low speed 40mm CPU fan, to reduce noise.

So what's up with this?

I can run it around 6 minutes at 500/400 before I get memory errors, so I probably will make some RAMsinks. But 400 isn't really THAT much more than 385, so maybe I won't bother.

At 525MHz the GPU runs fine but the computer was shutting off. I found the CPU was getting too hot and added another fan. I'm running a cheap power supply so I'm probably not going to try 525MHz again for a while. But at 500MHz, the sink is cool to the touch.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fine then, I have my AIW 9600 Pro at 500/770 if you want to play the numbers game.

Personally I prefer true clock rates rather than lies, er, DDR values.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I understand, some programs report actual clock speed while others report DDR values.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha, trying to give me a hard time I see. ATI's programs report actual clock rate, my actual clock rates are 500MHz for the graphics processor and 385MHz for the RAM. Your actual clock rates are what, 285 for the video processor and 267MHz for the RAM? Hmm, that seems kind of low? I thought the 4200 came with 3ns RAM, must be 3.6ns instead.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I hate these DDR crap just gets people confused, just report the goddamn true frequency. Same with system memory, i always have to get a calculator and divide by 2.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.575G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 275mhz 3-4-4-8 -Sapphire 9800np @ 432/780 -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, this POST is so corrupted I think I'll post a new one with both sets of numbers!

Nice OC man!

Mine runs at 535/365(730) rock stable (ran 3Dmk01 and 03 on loops for hours at a time).

However are you trying to fry your card only a few days/weeks in? :tongue:

From my experience in the forums, ramsinks will probably REDUCE your max speed. The thing that seems to give the biggest boost is the voltmod.

I hope I'm not too late and you've already done the mod. However read up a little more and see what people have to say. Anywho the above is what I've gotten from all I've read about it.

Lemme know if you need the voltmod info.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I didn't think I was pushing it that hard, since it seems to run cool at that setting. Under benchmarks the RAM is barely warm and the chip is cool!

OK, so no RAM sinks? The RAM seems to run fine for 6 minutes of benching at 400MHz, at which time I start to see errors, feel the RAM, and it's HOT! So I backed it down to 385. Wouldn't RAM sinks at least help it last longer at 385 due to further temperature reduction?

At speeds above 500 core my CPU overheats! I can't figure out why? My system turns off like a switch, I feel all the hot spots, and only my CPU is hot (scorching hot!). I thought P4's were supposed to slow down rather than turn off?

Not sure why your GPU overheats above 500mhz, but the overclocks appear to be all over the map (and I was disappointed that I couldn't get over 550mhz like some of the early reviewers. I guess it just varies. Another forum member here (although he's MIA/AWOL) CasualCat got his BBA R9600P just 2 days before me (although it arrived weeks after mine due to customs!), his R9600P wouldn't really go much above 500 mhz either, and his memory flopped out around the 350 level. So the cards vary a bit, although the memory on you AIW is pretty sweet it seems.

The issue with the ramsinks is a weird one. For some reason people have been unable to get much improvement out of the memory (usually just 5mhz or so), yet a large number have actually gotten lower top speeds. Perhaps it's the type, perhaps it the method of attachment (thermal epoxy, etc). I would just recommend doing a little bit more research and then deciding. If you're getting really high speeds it may be that they just don't provide much in the way of overhead.

Just thought you should know before you permanently affix them to your card.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, my VPU is FINE for temps, cool at any speed I can use, it's my CPU that overheats when I set the VPU above 500MHz!

That's right, my CPU gets SCALDING HOT when I overclock the video card too far! It was actually locking up a bit more frequently with the VPU at 500MHz before I added a fan that blows air directly over the CPU heatsink (nowhere near the VPU!).

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
From my experience in the forums, ramsinks will probably REDUCE your max speed.
Can you explain?I am about to get a 9600pro (i have RMA'd my connect3d 9500pro) and i was going to put crappy little coolermaster ramsinks on it.Should i not?I wasn't expecting any real performance gain but i certainly won't do it if it will decrease my oc'ing potential.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Ahh sorry, just thought it was a typo. Ooops!

Well it seems that the efficiency of cheaper ramsinks isn't enough to keep up with the levelof heat generated. I can't explain it, but I can guess.
This may be due to these memory chips running at speeds MUCH faster than before, and perhaps the top end with BGA chips is already fairly efficient. I really don't know why, I just know that people's experiences have been negative. If you do decide to go with ramsinks, then go with GOOD ones. You were probably able to get away with poorer quality material before, whereas now it requires better metals.
Crash may have the right idea with cutting up a CPU heatskink, the main thing will be how well it conducts the heat. Just making sure you guys check with Rage3D and the like and make sure that there aren't negative results for the ramsink types you are choosing.

Just call me your nagging conscience (but only in this thread! :tongue: ).

I'm more than willing to see you guys do this, but I kinda like Crashman as a fellow member so I thought I'd make a little peep. Although if he DOES cripple his card then it would bring his memory down to my current levels. :evil:

Just FYI, here's an old thread from Rage3D that goes over alot of the aspects of the R9600P overclocking experience.

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=28873e6fda72d829ea4f4b2ac28666dc&threadid=33690026&perpage=20&pagenumber=1" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=28873e6fda72d829ea4f4b2ac28666dc&threadid=33690026&perpage=20&pagenumber=1</A>

And interesting read, but a <i>little</i> dated now.