Advice for setting up XP Home + Linux network with only 1 ..

Last response: in Networking
June 3, 2004 9:58:13 AM

I am a newbie Networker.
I have the following configuration:

1 ADSL Router
1 Static I.P address
1 Windows XP Home Desktop
1 Laptop, which I am going to put Linux on to.

I would like my Linux laptop to be a Router/DHCP router with the
Static I.P address, but enable it to route requests to my XP Home
Desktop.

So then I can then run file sharing apps/games etc on the XP Home
Desktop,
and run email server, apache, mysql off the linux machine.

1) What free software do I need to install on my linux machine.
2) Do i need to set up NIS/DHCP on my Linux Box.
3) Once I have, how to I set up the Linux box to serve up an
"internal" I.P address to the XP home box?

Thanks,

Ben
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 4:58:38 PM

In article <2535a6fa.0406030458.a336e06@posting.google.com>,
ben.jessel@morpheme.co.uk says...
> I am a newbie Networker.
> I have the following configuration:
>
> 1 ADSL Router
> 1 Static I.P address
> 1 Windows XP Home Desktop
> 1 Laptop, which I am going to put Linux on to.
>
> I would like my Linux laptop to be a Router/DHCP router with the
> Static I.P address, but enable it to route requests to my XP Home
> Desktop.
>
> So then I can then run file sharing apps/games etc on the XP Home
> Desktop,
> and run email server, apache, mysql off the linux machine.
>
> 1) What free software do I need to install on my linux machine.
> 2) Do i need to set up NIS/DHCP on my Linux Box.
> 3) Once I have, how to I set up the Linux box to serve up an
> "internal" I.P address to the XP home box?

It would be easier to install a Linksys router with NAT and port forward
the web/smtp ports to your linux box and let the XP box just use the
same connection. This would let you work with nix and apache while
providing for basic security while you learn.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
!