Sign in with
Your question

1st person vs 3rd person

Last response: in Video Games

If you have to choose one, which one you'll choose?

Total: 31 votes

• First person game
  • 59 %
  • Third person game
  • 42 %
Anonymous
January 3, 2013 8:28:09 AM

If you have to choose between 1st person and 3rd person game which one you'll choose and why?

More about : 1st person 3rd person

January 3, 2013 8:38:28 AM

I prefer a first person view as I find it more immersive and realistic when playing games.
Sometimes in a third person perspective it can take away from the realism when you can for instance take a playing position that allows a view that would be impossible from a first person perspective.

Mactronix :) 
January 3, 2013 10:10:05 AM

Depends on the game ofc, but i have 2 general rules:

1)Melle combat, 3rd person, firearms, first person.
2)High mobility characters, 3rd person, low moility characters, 1st person.
Related resources
January 3, 2013 11:00:52 AM

I prefer 1st person in nearly every form of game (except platformers and such).

I just like the feeling of being "in" the game, and 3rd person always makes me feel like I'm observing the player.

I remember Mirror's Edge getting a lot of criticism for not being 3rd person, and I LOVED that game. I remember how I was on the edge of my seat making those building-to-building jumps and how frantic it felt slamming through doors and running down hallways. It just wouldn't have been the same experience watching it in 3rd person.

I think FP also makes games more challenging, since you can't "cheat," as in see NPC's around corners and over objects, etc...
January 3, 2013 11:30:26 AM

cats_Paw said:
Depends on the game ofc, but i have 2 general rules:

1)Melle combat, 3rd person, firearms, first person.
2)High mobility characters, 3rd person, low moility characters, 1st person.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
January 3, 2013 11:50:22 AM

and this is a tad off topic but since I'm here, I need to play my racing games 3rd person. Seemingly everyone I talk to tells me I'll never be any good at them unless I go 1st person but I've tried and I can't accomplish anything unless I can see EVERYTHING around me both moving and non. Recently I've become a "Flatout" junkie and I'd be hopeless with it if I didn't have a good view to set up slides and riccochets (spell).
January 4, 2013 2:23:47 AM

I prefer 1st person.

To me it is more immersive because you view the world "thru your own eyes" rather than over someone's should. 3rd person you view can change depending on the angle of the camera. Most times I think it is pretty decent, the camera might drift a bit though. However sometimes the camera is all over the place or you have something block you from seeing your character in 3rd person like dense leaves in a tree or a wall that is just too close.

I tend to shy away from 3rd person games a bit unless it something I really wanna play. Mass Effect 3 and GTA 4 are example of 3rd person games that I recently played. But that's about it.

Too bad the Mass Effect 1st person shooter was cancelled...
January 4, 2013 5:03:21 AM

Shooters - first person all the way.
WoW, D2 and the like - 3rd person, I would rather see my character in shiny armor that I spent 85 billion hours getting swing a sword than just a floating hand and sword.
January 4, 2013 7:50:26 AM

depends on the type of game....you cant have battlefield or cod as 3rd person ... and neither batman or ACreed would have been successful as 1st person game
Anonymous
January 4, 2013 8:20:43 AM

Why we can't have battlefield or cod as 3rd person?
January 4, 2013 9:08:59 AM

It would just make it a very different game as you couldn't look down a gun in the same way, like diablo 1,2 &3 would work 1st person but would not really be the same game.
Anonymous
January 4, 2013 12:10:49 PM

Bioware did.
Anonymous
January 4, 2013 12:13:17 PM

It's all about technic my friend not Physics rules.
January 4, 2013 4:13:46 PM

Anonymous said:
Why we can't have battlefield or cod as 3rd person?

It would change the game dynamic. In third-person you can't aim weapons, you aim graphical crosshairs, and you have an extended view around yourself that you wouldn't have in reality.

I can remember playing through Dead Space 2 and thinking "this would be so much better in first person!" It's just an entirely different feel.

Anonymous
January 4, 2013 4:26:26 PM

agreed.
January 4, 2013 4:36:24 PM

In cod 4 a lot of the modded servers had 3rd person view enabled as an option and the aiming was quite similar to what you would get in mass effect. I thought it was pretty cool when playing with the zombie mods.
January 5, 2013 8:50:18 AM

I chose 3rd person.

I love its Cover system. You can see yourself and enemies better.
But 1st Person has better Shooting.
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 6:58:48 PM

Oh i forgot to say my opinion. I like 3rd person :) 
!