Best Free Firewall??

Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so, their
names please?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante

"FERRANTE" <manthonyferrante@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so, their
> names please?

I use Sygate Personal Firewall. It works well.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:30:37 -0400, FERRANTE wrote:

> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so, their
> names please?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante

Sygate and Kerio are two others that I can think of right at the moment. I
am sure that there are others beside those two. Google for free personal
firewall.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:09:19 GMT, Renegade <not@t.all> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:30:37 -0400, FERRANTE wrote:
>
>> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so, their
>> names please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark Ferrante
>
>Sygate and Kerio are two others that I can think of right at the moment. I
>am sure that there are others beside those two. Google for free personal
>firewall.

Do you think Sygate is better than Free ZA??

If so, why?

Thanks,
Mark

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:21:01 -0400, FERRANTE wrote:

> Do you think Sygate is better than Free ZA??
>
> If so, why?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I had problems with ZA freezing up on one computer, so I tried Sygate on
that one. No problems, and I like the extra information that Sygate gives
about attempted outbounds as compared to the free ZA. Sygate gives a
partial packet dump along with the other info about the program requesting
access, so you can tell if it is a legitimate request or malware trying to
pose as a legitimate file. And after seeing some of the recent posts from
other users complaining about the latest release of ZA acting up on their
machines, I am not sure that I would recommend ZA.

Whether Sygate (or any others) is actually better than ZA or not, I
couldn't say for certain. Only that in my particular instance, Sygate was
the better choice for me at the time. Since I no longer use Windows for
anything except games that do not require internet access, it no longer
matters to me which one works best. :)

casey

In article <ovnub093h6tqi4trrvjq94k3iitanl3ein@4ax.com>, manthonyferrante@yahoo.com says...
> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so, their
> names please?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante

Yes, as previously stated above.
Sygate (v5.5 free or pro): Very Excellent
Kerio (v2.1.5 free): Good

This will help you find your way around in Sygate:

Unofficial Help:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html
(This site has two parts: Sygate Basics and Sygate Basics
Part 2. Click on the button to toggle between the two)

Sygate Forums:
http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/pspf/default.htm

Compare SPF Pro and SPF (See what's inside each one)
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm

d/l
http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160.html

Regards, Casey

FERRANTE wrote:
> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so, their
> names please?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante

Outpost PF from Agnitum
Currently my favourite
Sygate for me is #2
Kerio a close #3

try each for yourself and choose what suits.

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote:

>> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so,
>> their names please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark Ferrante
>>
> Yes, as previously stated above.
> Sygate (v5.5 free or pro): Very Excellent
> Kerio (v2.1.5 free): Good

I have used both these but as I am not an expert user I did not
really get to use them fully, so I can't say which I prefer.

Why do you think Sygate is better than Kerio?

casey

In article <95359AEE7DA2531E75@127.0.0.1>, franklin_lo@mail.com says...
> Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote:
>
> >> Are there any free Firewalls that are than Zone Alarm? If so,
> >> their names please?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mark Ferrante
> >>
> > Yes, as previously stated above.
> > Sygate (v5.5 free or pro): Very Excellent
> > Kerio (v2.1.5 free): Good
>

> I have used both these but as I am not an expert user I did not
> really get to use them fully, so I can't say which I prefer.
>
> Why do you think Sygate is better than Kerio?

Hi Franky. Both are good firewalls. The general structure of
the two are similar. I find more features in Sygate and I like
the user interface. Its easier for me to find my way around in it.
Sygate has excellent logging which is easy to read and understand.
The only flaw I have found in Sygate is its inability to block
local host 127.0.0.1 with an advanced rule. This is important only
to those running a local proxy such as Proxomitron. Sygate has
stated that rather than half way fix this with a patch, they will
provide this feature in the next major upgrade.
I have both on my machine. Sygate is default and I only occasionally
run Kerio.
Hope this helps some. Casey

Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b72e77f6cdc78b998976a@news.west.earthlink.net>...

> > > Yes, as previously stated above.
> > > Sygate (v5.5 free or pro): Very Excellent
> > > Kerio (v2.1.5 free): Good
> >

> > I have used both these but as I am not an expert user I did not
> > really get to use them fully, so I can't say which I prefer.
> >
> > Why do you think Sygate is better than Kerio?
> >
> Hi Franky. Both are good firewalls. The general structure of
> the two are similar. I find more features in Sygate and I like
> the user interface. Its easier for me to find my way around in it.
> Sygate has excellent logging which is easy to read and understand.
> The only flaw I have found in Sygate is its inability to block
> local host 127.0.0.1 with an advanced rule. This is important only
> to those running a local proxy such as Proxomitron. Sygate has
> stated that rather than half way fix this with a patch, they will
> provide this feature in the next major upgrade.
> I have both on my machine. Sygate is default and I only occasionally
> run Kerio.
> Hope this helps some. Casey

Do you find that Sygate is faster than Kerio? Kerio seems like a
really good firewall, but it uses too much of my system resources. I'm
using an old 466Mhz Celeron for internet connection sharing and I'd
like to be able to use it as an MP3 player at the same time. I could
do that without any problems with Zone Alarm, but Kerio uses almost
all of the system's resources and MP3s don't play correctly.

Dave