BioWare Considering Mass Effect MMO Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy-za

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Before you make a MMO Bioware, please make sure you finish the single player series, we don't want another great game series ruined like KOTR 1 & 2

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
This is something I've been hoping for. Given the nice groundwork they made with ME 1 & 2 (and hopefully 3), this could be pretty cool.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
There's no way they're going to leave the consoles out of it. Why would they? Mass Effect 1 was originally an xbox game which was then ported over the PC. I think this could work out well if they do it correctly.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Consoles are cool. I'm not sure why some PC people hate them. I actually prefer playing a lot of games on the console. I like the controllers. I like laying back on my sofa and playing on the big screen without having to use a mouse. And yeah I'm an old gamer who started with PCs in the early 80s. Good old Texas Instrument.... Anyway I am not afraid of the console. I enjoy console play. Hell I don't forget my 2600 roots like some of you PUNKS!!! PUNKS all of you!!!

G

Ok what ever, give it to consoles.... Hell let them do what everything want.... but make sure the game is a PC port to console and not the other way around.

belltollsforthee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Consoles are cool. I'm not sure why some PC people hate them. [/citation]
Like most gamers, i want innovation and tech to go hand in hand. Mass Effect does some great innovative stuff for the genre and its the tech in my honest opinion that some times hinders the full effect that the artist are trying to convey. Remember the texture pop in in mass effect 1? Elevators? there could be so much more available to PC gamers who really care about this franchise such as better visuals, advance A.I. interaction, quest structure, and much more that someone like me can only hope to dream of but that Bioware could make possible. That is why the hardcore want this PC first, console second.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Consoles are cool. I'm not sure why some PC people hate them. I actually prefer playing a lot of games on the console. I like the controllers. I like laying back on my sofa and playing on the big screen without having to use a mouse. And yeah I'm an old gamer who started with PCs in the early 80s. Good old Texas Instrument.... Anyway I am not afraid of the console. I enjoy console play. Hell I don't forget my 2600 roots like some of you PUNKS!!! PUNKS all of you!!![/citation]
The grumbling comes mostly from the belief (which is probably justified) that devs now make games for consoles then do crappy ports to PC. There's quite a few examples of this such as Bulletstorm's lack of configuration options without first decrypting the config files. There's also the complaint that console game to PC ports (or multiplatform releases) result in lower quality graphics in the PC version because of the lesser capability of consoles compared to PCs. I also notice an over simplification of game controls lately due to devs targeting controllers instead of mouse+keyboard.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
seems like a bad idea, while the goal may be saving the universe, the reality will be a bunch of meaningless quests and PVP that has nothing to do with the story line.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I'm not one to rage about the fact that every PC game seems to be ported from the console, but an MMO being created with consoles in mind? That's just stupid. I can't imagine any MMO being confined to whatever amount of buttons a console has. Sure ME has already been on console, but an MMO version would surely need more keyboard/mouse input than just the game itself.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
"Right now the Mass Effect team is focused on the game at hand, Mass Effect 3, pushing to make the game bigger than the second installment by using larger skill trees, weapon mods, and more than two endings. "

Considering Mass Effect 2 was a step back compared to Mass Effect 1, they better do all of that and then some - just to return to the level of detail of the first game...

On the subject of console ports, they may both be ports, but the first was at least a decent port. Those huge fonts in the second game just feel weird when you sit next to your screen. Not to mention the completely dumbed down skill trees...

G

Since the average development of an MMO is around 5 years, the consoles it would appear on would be next gen which by todays standards would be drastically upgraded. Furthermore, whos to say they would not also be able to use a keyboard and interact in the same world as pc players

AkIRA_22

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]wcnighthawk[/nom]Well, I was excited until I read they plan to have it on consoles. Now, I'm not so excited.[/citation]

Why would you care if it's on consoles too? You do realise the first ME was bought and funded by Microsoft specifically to promote the 360? Get a grip mate.

guitarjanitor

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
There's too much console-hate around here. ME was a console game before anything, so it'd be unrealistic to think of the sequels as pure-PC games. Besides, consoles haven't had many good (or many at all, really) MMOs. Maybe this is their chance to shine.

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I would actually love very much a Mass Effect MMO, but with CURRENT ME engine, not a cartoonish crap like the next StarWars MMO will be. PLEASE!

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
[citation][nom]AkIRA_22[/nom]Why would you care if it's on consoles too? You do realise the first ME was bought and funded by Microsoft specifically to promote the 360? Get a grip mate.[/citation]

And Final Fantasy came out on Nintendo first, what's your point? The point is that console MMO's suck. Name me a good one. Go ahead, I'm listening.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]legacy-za[/nom]Before you make a MMO Bioware, please make sure you finish the single player series, we don't want another great game series ruined like KOTR 1 & 2[/citation]

How is the series ruined? All your questions about KotOR will be answered in SW:TOR. I'm very excited about it, the Force Ghost in Taral V is more than likely The Exile from KotOR 2. She is the only one powerful enough that I can think of at that time that could appear before non-force users.

The prisoner is more than likely Revan... No clue how, maybe the Emperor was so displeased with Revan that he increased his lifespan to punish him. ;p

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
For my two cents, it seems the reason for console hating, is because game quality seems to suffer. I am sure there are counter points, but my biggest example is Crysis2 and Dragon Age2. Not bad games in their own right, but they just went ultra linear and rushed, at least by comparison with their predecessor.

I liked KOTR 1&2 ... never got in to Mass Effect though. But Bioware can make some damn good games if they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.