Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes 5 minutes into gaming.

Last response: in Video Games
January 4, 2013 6:26:57 AM

Built a new computer a few days ago, tried playing Borderlands 2 tonight. 5-10 minutes in the game completely froze, couldn't ctrl + alt + delete or alt/tab out, having to hold down the power button to reset my computer. Tried a few more times with the same result. Decided to try Counter Strike: Source but again after 5 minutes it completely froze. I have uninstalled, redownloaded and freshly installed the latest Nvidia drivers, but it has fixed nothing. Maybe an overheating problem? I'm not sure what the best route is to diagnose it.

Asus P9Z77-V Pro Mobo
Intel i5 3570k 3.4 Ghz Processor
8 GB GSkill 1866 DDR3 Ram
Galaxy Geforce GTX 550 Ti
Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD Drive
Enermax NAXN 80+ 600w PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
January 4, 2013 7:00:12 AM

Download SpeedFan, Speccy or HWiNFO/32/64 Tools, and post back your PC's Temps on Idle when not playing any games and Under Load when playing games.

This should give us an indication as to what direction to go from there
January 4, 2013 7:21:30 AM

Donwloaded SpeedFan. At Idle all temperatures are about 30 +-2 degrees Celcius. After opening a round of Counterstrike Source GPU quickly jumped up to 42. After 2 minutes of playing it said it was at 60. I'm not sure if this is too hot or not, but SpeedFan had a little flame image next to where it said GPU, so I decided to close counterstrike. I'm not sure if over heating it too many times will damage the card.

I had an extra fan laying around that I had taken off an old PSU and I plugged it in and jimmied it to the top of my case, I noticed that instead of playing half a round of cs I am now able to play two rounds before a crash.

Edit: It may also be worth noting that the graphics card I am using is from my old build and I have never had problems like this before playing any of the same games.

Edit 2: Downloaded Furmark. Set it to fullscreen 1920x1080 at 8x MSAA Anti-aliasing, my video card was struggling to get it's max of 20 FPS.Took a minute or to to get up to 80 degrees, and then stayed there for over 5 minutes, never going over 81. Checking Speedfan my CPU/Cores never went above 50. Maybe not a heat issue?
Related resources
January 4, 2013 7:46:46 AM

insouciantsoul said:
Donwloaded SpeedFan. At Idle all temperatures are about 30 +-2 degrees Celcius. After opening a round of Counterstrike Source GPU quickly jumped up to 42. After 2 minutes of playing it said it was at 60. I'm not sure if this is too hot or not, but SpeedFan had a little flame image next to where it said GPU, so I decided to close counterstrike. I'm not sure if over heating it too many times will damage the card.

I had an extra fan laying around that I had taken off an old PSU and I plugged it in and jimmied it to the top of my case, I noticed that instead of playing half a round of cs I am now able to play two rounds before a crash.

Edit: It may also be worth noting that the graphics card I am using is from my old build and I have never had problems like this before playing any of the same games.

Edit 2: Downloaded Furmark. Set it to fullscreen 1920x1080 at 8x MSAA Anti-aliasing, my video card was struggling to get it's max of 20 FPS.Took a minute or to to get up to 80 degrees, and then stayed there for over 5 minutes, never going over 81. Checking Speedfan my CPU/Cores never went above 50. Maybe not a heat issue?

No doesn't sound like a heat issue. Those GPU temps are fine. Could be the CPU (FurMark doesn't really stress the CPU, just the GPU). Try running Prime95 and keep an eye on the temps there.
January 4, 2013 7:53:55 AM

Getting sleepy, I'll run Prime95 in the morning, and try older drivers for my card
January 4, 2013 5:17:10 PM

I am having problems with my desktop where the screen goes blank after a couple min in 3D games like Star Trek Online and Minecraft. Going to try it on Team Fortress 2 on the Linux side (Win7/Ubuntu dual boot system) later on today. Because it does it on both Windows and Linux side with the same problem (with Minecraft at least) that narrows it down to the hardware only.

One suggestion that I have been told is to also test the power supply. It might have enough to supply the video card when on the desktop or lower end games like Civilization 4 (that does not crash my system) but when you kick it into high gear on the video card it can't handle putting out enough to the video card and that might be the problem.

This is the power supply tester I have and recommend something like it. I looked around and found it for $27 at Directron. It works very well.
http://store.antec.com/Product/accessories-other/digital-pc-power-tester/0-761345-77204-4.aspx
January 9, 2013 7:14:14 PM

Sorry for the late follow up. I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers once more and installed the previous stable version from their website. 306. something rather. Now everything works great.
February 1, 2013 8:47:48 AM

Good to hear everything works great now.

Enjoy you PC :) 
!