Strange as it may sound, I'm looking for a free software that mirrors
what the XP SP1 firewall does (i.e. allow all outgoing traffic, block
all incoming traffic that is not in response to an internal request).

Can anyone point out a suitable product and/or how to configure this
setting.

I've tried Sygate but can't figure out how to get this type of ruleset
set up.

Thanks

drthomaspopple@hotmail.com (Thomas Popple) wrote in

> Strange as it may sound, I'm looking for a free software that mirrors
> what the XP SP1 firewall does (i.e. allow all outgoing traffic, block
> all incoming traffic that is not in response to an internal request).
>
> Can anyone point out a suitable product and/or how to configure this
> setting.
>
> I've tried Sygate but can't figure out how to get this type of ruleset
> set up.
>
> Thanks

If you're trying to implement it on Win 2K, XP or 2K3, then IPsec may fit
the bill. IPsec is stateful like ICF and IPsec can block outbound if
needed.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

Duane :)

>Strange as it may sound, I'm looking for a free software that mirrors
>what the XP SP1 firewall does (i.e. allow all outgoing traffic, block
>all incoming traffic that is not in response to an internal request).

A simple rule based firewall like Kerio 2.1.5 will do that.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

Thanks Duane,

unfortunately I need this solution for non-technical users across a
range of Windows desktop platforms - from 98 to XP.

Thanks