Advice on securing FTP Server in DMZ

Hello Group,

I'm looking to setup an FTP server in our DMZ so users can place files
there to be picked up and I can download files into our internal
network that outside users have placed there.

The PC is going to be running XP. Where can I get started securing
this box? Do I want to install a software firewall like Norton
Internet Security? use XP's firewall? What services as a minimum do I
need to run FTP?

What else do I need to look at when securing this PC?

Thanks

Mike

Splendid

"Dan Leeder" <flight327@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hello Group,
>
> I'm looking to setup an FTP server in our DMZ so users can place files
> there to be picked up and I can download files into our internal
> network that outside users have placed there.
>
> The PC is going to be running XP. Where can I get started securing
> this box? Do I want to install a software firewall like Norton
> Internet Security? use XP's firewall? What services as a minimum do I
> need to run FTP?

There is a good article here:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1491&page=1

If you would rather not use the builtin stuff there are some third party
servers here
http://www.sofotex.com/download/FTP_Software/Ftp_Servers/

However, XP is probably not the best platform to perform this task. FTP
servers are often compromised and used for transferring "warez" and
Microsoft are not exactly reknowed for their secure OS. That said, as long
as you restrict access by source IP in your firewall, you should know who is
using the server. Don't be tempted to use anonymous access and enforce good
passwords on the users. Keep on top of the service packs and you should be
OK.

> What else do I need to look at when securing this PC?

Probably a different OS. Try Linux.