What's the cheapest way to play PS2 on a PC monitor?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I've been looking around I am having a heck of a time finding the answer. I know of switch boxes, and I know of a good one to get if I had too but I was hoping to spend as little as possible.

I have the RCA (red, white, yellow) that the PS2 came with. I have the audio covered. I have a pair of headphones that I'll use, the issue is getting video.

I've seen RCA to VGA adapters on the web, they're super cheap but would they work?
I thought I read the signal the PS2 outputs is different from the signal a PC can accept and that's why switch boxes have to get involved. Is that true or will a RCA to VGA adapter be all I need if I just need the monitor to pick up video?

CecilyBug

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

I've been trying to figure the same thing out, myself... I've got a PS2 and a Wii, and no TV anymore (I just moved). I have a switchbox that can toggle between the two RCA sources to a single RCA output, but I can't figure out a way to connect the yellow composite line into my monitor on the cheap...

CecilyBug

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

The problem with those adapters is that they have two female VGA slots, so I'd have to get an additional adapter to plug it into the female slot on my monitor - my computer's outputting DVI; that's why I want to use the open VGA slot for the console input.