Thermalright fan mounting technique

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I bought a SLK-947U and mounted all OK but when I tried to mount my 90mm Thermaltake fan (25mm thick) using the special wire that came with the HS it didn't work too well. When I put the edges of wire in the fan holes it wasn't at all tight enough and the fan would just fall out. The only way it would work is if I put the wire not right in the hole, but in the 4 indentations that are near the holes. That way, the fan sticks well but it's floating about 5-10mm from the HS (at some points 5mm and at some 10mm, because the fins are terraced in order to accommodate different fan sizes).
I used some duck tape (so professional) but that came off after I while. I was wondering, should it be this way?

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

DOHCrazy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
How thick is your fan? thats what determines what clips you use and what holes you put them it.

<A HREF="http://aao.sudden-death.org/3dMarkScore.gif" target="_new">System Specs</A>

<font color=green>I have a Brand NEW Sapphire 9600pro for sale.</font color=green>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Completely standard - 25mm.

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Oh, and there's just one clip per each fan radios length, not per thickness (a pair for 60mm, 80mm and 90mm). Would be cool though if I could find a way to get another clip.

----------