Looking for a specific type of game

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hello dear friends. I am a RPG lover. I have searched in the net a lot and i am having hard times finding a game suitable for my likings. I opened this thread to ask you for advise for a specific game style i am looking for. Below i share some features i like most in my games:

- Firstly, i use my PC to play games. I don't own a console but if the game is very good i can use software emulator on my PC to play it. Currently there are some console emulators on the net for the platforms like Wii, PS2 etc
- Full-fantasy themed RPG (Fantasy role playing)
- There can be real time battle but i don't like it much. I prefer turn-based battle
- Like most of the people here, i like eye candy in graphics but it doesn't have to be ultra-realistic details and such
- I hate hack&slash games. Equip a sword, put your armor on and crash everything that comes forth... This isn't my type of game really. I respect the people that like this kind of games but i want more of a strategy, planning aspect in my game. There must be magic spells too

Looking at these specs, i can give you some examples of the games i played and liked the most: Final Fantasy 7 and upwards (liked the 8 most and played some on emulator), Heroes of Might and Magic series, King's Bounty series (liked all much), Chrono Trigger/Cross, Disciples 2, Etherlords 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2 (not exactly my type but there is definitely surprise factor and strategy element in these games)...etc.

I see that there are not much games of this type for PC, why don't they produce games like this any more? On the other hand, consoles have a lot of games of this genre. Though, these games are mostly Japanese style RPGs (FF series etc) and i am not sure if i adore that type. Anyway, can you share your ideas of some of the games in this style?

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Persona series look good but i am not sure if it really impresses me and of orcs and men looks no different than a hack and slash game. Maybe i can try persona though. I'm still open for different suggestions :)

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Once, i tried the dragon knight saga but didn't like much cause it felt like ordinary hack and slash. But now i watched gameplay of original sin and i think that it looks much better than the previous one. Some nice stuff there, i'm impressed. When does this come out?

gamer15

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
You have to check www.digitto.co! There are many games in low prizes. Maybe you find what you are looking for

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

lol that game looks a lot like FF series, interesting and looks a lot fun. Though, graphics suck :) Phantasy Star 4 is too old, looks like dos games. Actually i played all Heroes series beginning from the 3rd game. The most fun i had lately was with King's Bounty: Warriors of the North. Played also all recent KB series beginning from The Legend. Etherlords 2 was a really impressive game too and they didn't make the 3rd game yet :(

TheGhxst

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Well it is PS1 afterall, but it has a trigger system sorta like FF8 that you have to press a button at a specific time to continue your attacks, so it at least is pretty active. I remember I played it for a good long time, but was too young to really enjoy it. Shoot I might go get it and beat it this time around.

Have you considered Baldur's Gate? The original has just been re-made, and a re-make of the sequel is coming soon. Baldur's Gate 2 is probably the best game I've ever played in my life, it's honestly absolutely brilliant ;-)

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Baldur's Gate as i see is amongst the best games in the history, i hear it a lot especially when i read reviews like "best 10 rpg games ever" etc. It is kind of similar to Dragon Age series (as in genre or play style) yes? Hmm looks interesting. Are there any game play videos of these remakes Sam?

sven_rosencrans

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Yeah, honestly I just don't think they develop many of these types of "turned-based" rpgs anymore, especially on PC. Consoles tend to have many more. I look for these too on PC and it seems like many of the older games, like 2005 at the latest fit this bill. Like some of the others said, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, maybe Heroes of Might & Magic.

I think I heard there might be a new Phantasy Star game coming out though, and supposedly a newer HD remake of FFVII.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The new Phantasy Star is PSOnline2, which is an action MMO. It's already out in Japan, and coming to NA in early 2013. Sadly not a turn based rpg though, so not applicable for his requests. :(

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
FFVII remake rumor is around for so many years now:) i hope that it is true. Also there is a general misunderstanding or confusion about these games. For example, if you search "turn based combat" in google, it will always bring up "turn based strategy" games (i.e HOMM series etc) but there are also the games with "turn based combat" (only the combat is turn based not the entire game). An example: King's Bounty is a game with turn based combat whereas HOMM series are entirely turn based. In HOMM you have to spend movement points for moving on the map but in KB you can wander on the world map freely (some places open depending on the progress). Both games are listed as "Fantasy RPGs" and that's why it is hard to search and find the games i want :)

TheGhxst

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I've heard rumors of that FFVII remake for forever now. Is that still valid?