visiting usa for a month..need my phone

Last response: in Network Providers
May 28, 2005 6:23:37 PM

my canadian provider is gonna be quite expensive for using my phone in
usa

is it possible to just get a sim card w/out signing a contract that i
could pay for just 1 month or something?

--
swizz12
May 29, 2005 3:06:05 AM

swizz12 <swizz12.1prb80@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in

> my canadian provider is gonna be quite expensive for using my phone in
> usa
>
> is it possible to just get a sim card w/out signing a contract that i
> could pay for just 1 month or something?

Just stop by any electronics discount store, once you get in the states,
and buy a disposable, pre-paid plan phone with prepaid minutes. Even
people who never pay their phone bills can have one of these phones. If
you've got a credit card, you can recharge it over-the-air by calling its
611 or recharge number.

No roaming is necessary.....
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:45:07 AM

"swizz12" <swizz12.1prb80@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> my canadian provider is gonna be quite expensive for using my phone in
> usa
>
> is it possible to just get a sim card w/out signing a contract that i
> could pay for just 1 month or something?

See http://prepaiduswireless.com
Related resources
May 29, 2005 11:57:33 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:23:37 -0500, swizz12
<swizz12.1prb80@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>my canadian provider is gonna be quite expensive for using my phone in
>usa
>
>is it possible to just get a sim card w/out signing a contract that i
>could pay for just 1 month or something?

Not on Verizon you won't. Verizon is a CDMA operator. If you want to
use a temporary US SIM you'll have to use T-Mobile or cingular or go
with a cheap phone and a MVNO such as Beyond Wireless.

May 29, 2005 4:06:27 PM

Also, you can stop at Wal-Mart; they have over-the-counter pre-pay phones
for under $70. Believe the trac phone and an Alltel pre-paid are there.
The benefit of the Alltel phone is that when you are done with it, you can
most likely sell it to someone who can also use it for pre-pay OR post-pay
with either Alltel or verizon. (once the current pre-pay line expires) We
helped many a person that way. Cheap entry, and their phone is not locked
into pre-paid.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

!