Kerio Personal Firewall 4 * Internet Connection Sharing

Hi,

A customer of mine had his laptop infected which I cleaned up and
suggested he installed a firewall.

I suggested he tried the Kerio personal firewall and if all goes well
he will purchase a couple of copies. I installed version 4.0.13 just
because that is what I had available.

He has one PC which connects to the internet using a standard 56K
modem. This connection is shared using Windows 98 ICS. There are a
number of other PC which share this internet connection.

The laptop was using a Bluetooth connection to access the internet
but I added it to the network and got it using the shared connection
without a problem.

I installed Kerio PF onto the laptop and all was well.
I then attempted to install Kerio PF onto the PC with the ICS.
I set the Enable Gateway mode on this PC.
Now none of the other PCs on the network can access the Internet.
The PC with the modem can access the internet OK.
All PCs can see the shared files across the network.
I tried disabling the firewall without any change.
I closed the Firewall engine without any change either.

The only way I could get access was by un-installing the firewall.

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I've missed it
doesn't make any sense to me.

Any suggestion welcome.

Keith D Myers
Xenopus Systems Limited
4 answers Last reply
More about kerio personal firewall internet connection sharing

    As Tx2 points out, the free editions of the new Kerio 4.x versions don't support
    ICS. The old freeware Kerio version 2.1.5 does, or you might look at Sygate or
    one of the other free personal firewalls.
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    In article <l2h3c0t4n97hbrfqlkdihabsllgf11ov98@4ax.com>,
    keith@xenopus.co.uk, a.k.a says...

    [...]

    > I installed Kerio PF onto the laptop and all was well.
    > I then attempted to install Kerio PF onto the PC with the ICS.
    > I set the Enable Gateway mode on this PC.
    > Now none of the other PCs on the network can access the Internet.
    > The PC with the modem can access the internet OK.
    > All PCs can see the shared files across the network.
    > I tried disabling the firewall without any change.
    > I closed the Firewall engine without any change either.
    >
    > The only way I could get access was by un-installing the firewall.
    >
    > Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I've missed it
    > doesn't make any sense to me.

    AIUI, Kerio PF free edition does not support ICS.
    There is something in the manual relating to this i'm sure ....

    > He has one PC which connects to the internet using a standard 56K
    > modem. This connection is shared using Windows 98 ICS. There are a
    > number of other PC which share this internet connection.
    >

    > Any suggestion welcome.

    There should be a dial-up NAT router as the gateway device with all machines
    behind the NAT router. Any machine connected to the NAT router with the NAT
    router connected to the 56K modem can make the router dial to make the
    connection to the ISP, even the Bluetooth machine.

    D-link and others make dial-up NAT routers and they are cheap.

    Then you can install PFW(s) on all machines behind the NAT router.

    Windows 98 as a gateway device with a PFW solution to protect the LAN with a
    *clueless* user?

    You should try to help the user find a better solution.

    Duane :)

    In article <MPG.1b2be5e09a425e869898d7@news.individual.net>,
    tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com, a.k.a Tx2 says...

    > AIUI, Kerio PF free edition does not support ICS.
    > There is something in the manual relating to this i'm sure ....

    Indeed ....

    http://eu.download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kpf40-en-v13.pdf

    See "1.2 Limited Free Edition"

Firewalls Internet Connection Networking