Bizarre zonealarm problem, mangled HTML

Hi

On the site below (CANB) there is a button labelled ADVERTISE.

Well, there is for some people.

Some of my users complain that they don't see this button, which renders the
site useless to them.

I asked one of them to send me the HTML that reached their browser (via the
sent out: it did indeed have the ADVERTISE button missing, and it had some
comments inserted that weren't in the original and seemed to have been
written by something called "zonealarm".

Is it really the case that zonealarm mangles incoming web pages like this?

If so, as a non-zonealarm user, can someone please tell me what settings to
tell my users to change so that my web site becomes useful to them?

Thanks.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk

"Tim Ward" <tim@brettward.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi
>
> On the site below (CANB) there is a button labelled ADVERTISE.
>
> Well, there is for some people.
>
> Some of my users complain that they don't see this button, which
> renders the site useless to them.
>
> I asked one of them to send me the HTML that reached their browser
> (via the "view source" feature of the browser). This HTML was
> *not* what my server sent out: it did indeed have the ADVERTISE
> button missing, and it had some comments inserted that weren't in
> the original and seemed to have been written by something called
> "zonealarm".
>
> Is it really the case that zonealarm mangles incoming web pages
> like this?
>
> If so, as a non-zonealarm user, can someone please tell me what
> settings to tell my users to change so that my web site becomes
> useful to them?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
> Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk
> Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
> Cambridge City Councillor

(Look how they spell Councilor in the UK... I'm not saying it means
anything, all I'm saying is after whooping their butts and getting
our freedom, we totally *give* them the blueprints to automobiles -
and they drive it on the *wrong* side of the road!!!)

I can't imagine what ZA would be doing selectively stripping HTML
code before forwarding it to browsers, unless the newer version
discriminates patterns and interprets possible malicious script...
But look where crude oil prices have gone since they released v5.0.x.
Coincidence? I think *not*...

Hmm, suggest you try this with perhaps a bit of more specific
details:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

Best of luck and watch out for sheep in the road over there - In the
UK they may be part of your family tree.

LOL!

"Tim Ward" <tim@brettward.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi
>
> On the site below (CANB) there is a button labelled ADVERTISE.
>
> Well, there is for some people.
>
> Some of my users complain that they don't see this button, which
> renders the site useless to them.
>
> I asked one of them to send me the HTML that reached their browser
> (via the "view source" feature of the browser). This HTML was *not*
> what my server sent out: it did indeed have the ADVERTISE button
> missing, and it had some comments inserted that weren't in the
> original and seemed to have been written by something called
> "zonealarm".
>
> Is it really the case that zonealarm mangles incoming web pages like
> this?
>
> If so, as a non-zonealarm user, can someone please tell me what
> settings to tell my users to change so that my web site becomes useful
> to them?

If it were me, I would tell them to disable that feature in the PFW. As
far as I am concerned, a PFW has no business whatsoever changing browser
HTML or scripting logic. The feature is worthless and causes more trouble
than it's worth. Next, the *clowns* will be into ASP.NET trying to stop
ASP.NET and .Netframework from doing something with the browser. :)

Duane :)

"Tim Ward" <tim@brettward.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> On the site below (CANB) there is a button labelled ADVERTISE.
>
> Well, there is for some people.
>
> Some of my users complain that they don't see this button, which renders
the
> site useless to them.

Tim,

Zonealarm can be configured to block advertising - banner ads, pop-ups etc.
The relevant setting is a slider under 'Privacy'. If this is set to
high, (as it would seem is the case for your user), your ADVERTISE button is
suppressed. If set to medium, or off, the button is visible and works OK,
at least it does here!

HTH,
Anne.

"Anne" <anne_simpson1@hmail.com> wrote in message
news:1086461510.57780.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...

> Zonealarm can be configured to block advertising - banner ads, pop-ups
etc.
> The relevant setting is a slider under 'Privacy'. If this is set to
> high, (as it would seem is the case for your user), your ADVERTISE button
is
> suppressed. If set to medium, or off, the button is visible and works
OK,
> at least it does here!

Thanks - exactly what I was after!

--

> "Anne" <anne_simpson1@hmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1086461510.57780.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
>>
>> Zonealarm can be configured to block advertising - banner ads,
>> pop-ups etc. The relevant setting is a slider under 'Privacy'.
>> If this is set to high, (as it would seem is the case for your
>> user), your ADVERTISE button is suppressed. If set to medium, or
>> off, the button is visible and works OK, at least it does here!
>
> Thanks - exactly what I was after!

My Zone Alarm v2.1 doesn't do this (this is the kind of thing that keeps
me using the old one), but I would suggest that you simply change the
name of "uadvertise.gif" (assuming that ZA doesn't also look at the alt
text). That way, new users would have no problem without changing their
settings.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

phoenix

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:31:54 +0100, Tim Ward wrote:

> Hi
>
> On the site below (CANB) there is a button labelled ADVERTISE.
>
> Well, there is for some people.
>
> Some of my users complain that they don't see this button, which renders the
> site useless to them.
>
> I asked one of them to send me the HTML that reached their browser (via the
> sent out: it did indeed have the ADVERTISE button missing, and it had some
> comments inserted that weren't in the original and seemed to have been
> written by something called "zonealarm".
>
> Is it really the case that zonealarm mangles incoming web pages like this?
>
> If so, as a non-zonealarm user, can someone please tell me what settings to
> tell my users to change so that my web site becomes useful to them?
>
> Thanks.

Well, that site works fine with my copy of ZAP 5 but as Anne has already
pointed out you need to change the Privacy setting.

Regards

Bill