Free Email using Treo 600 or 650 ?

Hello from San Diego,

I couldn't find many posts on this topic at Google and
would like to know what other people's experiences are.

I used to be able to send and receive POP email at no
charge (other than the included voice airtime charges)
using my Kyocera 7135 but I just got a Treo 650 a few
days ago (without the data plan) and I'm having trouble
doing the same thing as before.

Whenever I try to use Eudora to check my Earthlink POP
email account a big Palm logo would appear on the screen
followed by a Verizon logo with an annoying sound to let
me know that I'm not supposed to do this.

I've tried changing the Network Preferences to use the
phone as a virtual modem to call an Earthlink's access
phone number and still got the same sound and logos on
the screen.

Does this mean that Verizon has installed something to
disconnect the call whenever it detects data coming over
the phone line ?

However, I was able to send email from my phone using
the same POP settings. Perhaps the data transmission
is detected in only one direction so that we can send
email messages but cannot receive them.

I've found a way to get around this using Earthlink's
Web Mail. I can use the Treo to access the web either
through National Access or by calling an Earthlink's
access phone number. However, this is a hassle for me
so if anybody knows a better way please let me know.

BTW, am I being charged for accessing the web using
Verizon's National Access if I haven't signed up for
a data plan ?

I've heard that Cingular offers email and web features
with their standard voice plans. Are most Treo users
happier with Cingular than Verizon ?

Thanks in advance for your help. Please reply to the
newsgroup.
24 answers Last reply
More about free email treo

    Now I'm very frustrated not being able to access
    my POP email accounts the way I've been doing for
    2 years (with my Kyocera 7135) without having to
    buy an expensive data plan.

    Since the receipt says that I can return this Treo
    in original condition within 15 days, should I just
    return it and switch to Cingular instead ?

    Does the Cingular version of Treo 650 also have an
    advantage of being usable in Europe and Asia ?

    I've also heard that the Cingular version performs
    better than the Verizon version.

    Will Verizon let me go without paying any penalty if
    my previous 1-year contract expired over a year ago ?
    Will the 2-year contract I just signed be cancelled
    with the return of the phone ?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Sprint has the cheapest data plan for $15/month. Or $10/month if you don't
    want to download ring tones and wallpaper.

    <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Now I'm very frustrated not being able to access
    > my POP email accounts the way I've been doing for
    > 2 years (with my Kyocera 7135) without having to
    > buy an expensive data plan.
    >
    > Since the receipt says that I can return this Treo
    > in original condition within 15 days, should I just
    > return it and switch to Cingular instead ?
    >
    > Does the Cingular version of Treo 650 also have an
    > advantage of being usable in Europe and Asia ?
    >
    > I've also heard that the Cingular version performs
    > better than the Verizon version.
    >
    > Will Verizon let me go without paying any penalty if
    > my previous 1-year contract expired over a year ago ?
    > Will the 2-year contract I just signed be cancelled
    > with the return of the phone ?
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.

    Thanks for the info.

    Does any of the cellular providers allow you to use
    the Treo 650 to call your ISP's access number to check
    POP email without paying more than the regular (voice)
    airtime rate ?

    And which other providers (beside Cingular) use GSM
    phones that can also be used in Europe and Asia ?

    "Joe Hayes" <jhayes@navisite.com> wrote:
    >Sprint has the cheapest data plan for $15/month.
    >Or $10/month if you don't want to download ring
    >tones and wallpaper.
    >
    ><nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Now I'm very frustrated not being able to access
    >> my POP email accounts the way I've been doing for
    >> 2 years (with my Kyocera 7135) without having to
    >> buy an expensive data plan.
    >>
    >> Since the receipt says that I can return this Treo
    >> in original condition within 15 days, should I just
    >> return it and switch to Cingular instead ?
    >>
    >> Does the Cingular version of Treo 650 also have an
    >> advantage of being usable in Europe and Asia ?
    >>
    >> I've also heard that the Cingular version performs
    >> better than the Verizon version.
    >>
    >> Will Verizon let me go without paying any penalty if
    >> my previous 1-year contract expired over a year ago ?
    >> Will the 2-year contract I just signed be cancelled
    >> with the return of the phone ?
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your help.

    It depends on how you got your new phone. Few things are free, and you had
    a good deal with the 7135, now V wants money for the value you receive with
    data.

    When the smartphones first came out, no one was thinking data/pop mail.
    So, they gave you national access "free" or better yet, it was included. As
    the phones got smarter, your 7135, the "grandfathered" you, and said that
    data was at an extra charge, and it would be ok, until the computer catches
    up, then there will be a fee.
    - if you did an upgrade, a smart CS either disabled national access, or
    added a data plan
    - if you did an esn change only, you should still be on your old data plan.

    To be fair: your using an extra feature, and V makes a distinction between
    minutes AND data. If your device can only use data OR voice (one at a time)
    ask CS to restore your account to the way it was. If your phone can use
    data AND voice at the same time, your receiving more value, and maybe it is
    fair that you pay for it. Think of it this way: you had a great deal for
    free, they just plugged the hole. Although some will think they are getting
    charged for something that used to be included. Be persistent and work thru
    CS. If you tell them that you use it as a PDA, and "rarely" as a data
    device, they may bite. But ask yourself if your being truthful; as it seems
    you want to use the data, and V expects a profit on value given, value
    received.

    --
    dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
    used to)

    > Hello from San Diego,
    >
    > I couldn't find many posts on this topic at Google and
    > would like to know what other people's experiences are.
    >
    > I used to be able to send and receive POP email at no
    > charge (other than the included voice airtime charges)
    > using my Kyocera 7135 but I just got a Treo 650 a few
    > days ago (without the data plan) and I'm having trouble
    > doing the same thing as before.
    >
    > Whenever I try to use Eudora to check my Earthlink POP
    > email account a big Palm logo would appear on the screen
    > followed by a Verizon logo with an annoying sound to let
    > me know that I'm not supposed to do this.
    >
    > I've tried changing the Network Preferences to use the
    > phone as a virtual modem to call an Earthlink's access
    > phone number and still got the same sound and logos on
    > the screen.
    >
    > Does this mean that Verizon has installed something to
    > disconnect the call whenever it detects data coming over
    > the phone line ?
    >
    > However, I was able to send email from my phone using
    > the same POP settings. Perhaps the data transmission
    > is detected in only one direction so that we can send
    > email messages but cannot receive them.
    >
    > I've found a way to get around this using Earthlink's
    > Web Mail. I can use the Treo to access the web either
    > through National Access or by calling an Earthlink's
    > access phone number. However, this is a hassle for me
    > so if anybody knows a better way please let me know.
    >
    > BTW, am I being charged for accessing the web using
    > Verizon's National Access if I haven't signed up for
    > a data plan ?
    >
    > I've heard that Cingular offers email and web features
    > with their standard voice plans. Are most Treo users
    > happier with Cingular than Verizon ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. Please reply to the
    > newsgroup.

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    I finally was able to get everything to work nicely
    without having to pay for a data plan.

    I called Verizon yesterday but they couldn't help me
    with my Eudora problems.

    They told me that I would be able to access my POP3 email
    accounts if I signed up for their Wireless Sync feature for
    about $5 a month. So I agreed to this and they spent a lot
    of time helping me set it up.

    But I didn't like this feature because of the extra fee and
    because it interfered with my existing Hot Sync. So I tried
    using VersaMail (which came with the Treo) to access my POP3
    email accounts through an Earthlink access phone number and
    it worked just fine.

    So I called Verizon to cancel the Wireless Sync feature after
    1 day.

    A few hours later I was able to get my Eudora to work as well
    by changing some of the security settings.

    So now I can send and receive POP3 email and access the web
    using my Earthlink access number without having to pay for
    Verizon's National Access.

    The National Access may be a few times faster but I don't care
    because I only use the email and web features a couple of times
    a week.

    As far as fairness is concerned I think this is fair enough
    since I'm already paying Earthlink for the Internet service
    and I'm not using any more of Verizon's resources to access
    this service than I do by making a voice call.

    But maybe Verizon doesn't want everybody to know this :-)

    "dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam" <dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam> wrote:
    >It depends on how you got your new phone. Few things are free, and you had
    >a good deal with the 7135, now V wants money for the value you receive with
    >data.
    >
    > When the smartphones first came out, no one was thinking data/pop mail.
    >So, they gave you national access "free" or better yet, it was included. As
    >the phones got smarter, your 7135, the "grandfathered" you, and said that
    >data was at an extra charge, and it would be ok, until the computer catches
    >up, then there will be a fee.
    >- if you did an upgrade, a smart CS either disabled national access, or
    >added a data plan
    >- if you did an esn change only, you should still be on your old data plan.
    >
    >To be fair: your using an extra feature, and V makes a distinction between
    >minutes AND data. If your device can only use data OR voice (one at a time)
    >ask CS to restore your account to the way it was. If your phone can use
    >data AND voice at the same time, your receiving more value, and maybe it is
    >fair that you pay for it. Think of it this way: you had a great deal for
    >free, they just plugged the hole. Although some will think they are getting
    >charged for something that used to be included. Be persistent and work thru
    >CS. If you tell them that you use it as a PDA, and "rarely" as a data
    >device, they may bite. But ask yourself if your being truthful; as it seems
    >you want to use the data, and V expects a profit on value given, value
    >received.

    DQ: Congrats on getting it to work, not paying anything extra, and for
    sharing your efforts. I don't have a treo, but perhaps others might benefit
    from the security setting you got to work. You know quid-pro-quo; please
    tells us the settings that worked, and maybe someone else can benefit.
    --

    > Thanks for all the suggestions.
    >
    > I finally was able to get everything to work nicely
    > without having to pay for a data plan.
    <snip>
    > A few hours later I was able to get my Eudora to work as well
    > by changing some of the security settings.
    >
    > So now I can send and receive POP3 email and access the web
    > using my Earthlink access number without having to pay for
    > Verizon's National Access.
    ><snip>
    >
    > "dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam" <dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam> wrote:
    <snip>
    >> When the smartphones first came out, no one was thinking data/pop mail.
    >>So, they gave you national access "free" or better yet, it was included.
    >>As
    >>the phones got smarter, your 7135, the "grandfathered" you, and said that
    >>data was at an extra charge, and it would be ok, until the computer
    >>catches
    >>up, then there will be a fee.
    >>- if you did an upgrade, a smart CS either disabled national access, or
    >>added a data plan
    >>- if you did an esn change only, you should still be on your old data
    >>plan.
    <snip>

    I think I solved the problem by changing Eudora's SSL
    security setting for both incoming and outgoing mail
    from "If Available" to "None".

    These settings worked fine on my Kyocera 7135 but on my
    Treo 650 they do the followings:

    1. disconnect from my ISP without getting email
    2. display the Palm and Verizon logos
    3. generate an alert sound
    4. turn off the phone
    5. cancel my Mail button assignment for Eudora
    (i.e. by changing the assignment from Eudora to Mail)

    "dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam" wrote:
    >DQ: Congrats on getting it to work, not paying anything
    >extra, and for sharing your efforts. I don't have a treo,
    >but perhaps others might benefit from the security setting
    >you got to work. You know quid-pro-quo; please tells us
    >the settings that worked, and maybe someone else can benefit.

    May I ask what settings you used... I'm having trouble getting mine to
    connect to sbc.

    Thanks, Paul

    nospam@earthlink.net wrote:

> [...]
    >>added a data plan
    >>- if you did an esn change only, you should still be on your old data plan.
    >>
    >>To be fair: your using an extra feature, and V makes a distinction between
    >>minutes AND data. If your device can only use data OR voice (one at a time)
    >>ask CS to restore your account to the way it was. If your phone can use
    >>data AND voice at the same time, your receiving more value, and maybe it is
    >>fair that you pay for it. Think of it this way: you had a great deal for
    >>free, they just plugged the hole. Although some will think they are getting
    >>charged for something that used to be included. Be persistent and work thru
    >>CS. If you tell them that you use it as a PDA, and "rarely" as a data
    >>device, they may bite. But ask yourself if your being truthful; as it seems
    >>you want to use the data, and V expects a profit on value given, value

    Paul
    pas@interaccess.com

    Paul <paulstromberg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >May I ask what settings you used... I'm having trouble
    >getting mine to connect to sbc.

    NETWORK PREFERENCES

    Service: ... (choose any name you like)
    Connection: Virtual Modem
    Username: ...@earthlink.net
    Password: Assigned
    Phone: 3310177 (ISP's access phone number)

    SECURITY

    Incoming (POP)
    Save Password: Yes
    Authentication: Best Available
    Security (SSL): None

    Outgoing (SMTP)
    Authentication: Best Available
    Same as Incoming
    Security (SSL): None

    I also chose Overlap POP3 commands under the Receive tab
    but don't know if it makes any difference.

    According to http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/
    you can even use Verizon's low-speed VZW Quick2Net
    network for free.

    So you can actually have Internet without paying
    anybody (Verizon or another ISP) for it except for
    the airtime.

    If you would like to have a free POP account you can
    sign up for a gmail account and change the settings
    under "Forwarding and POP" to allow POP access.

    Now I think this may be a little unfair :-)

    >According to http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/
    >you can even use Verizon's low-speed VZW Quick2Net
    >network for free.
    >
    >So you can actually have Internet without paying
    >anybody (Verizon or another ISP) for it except for
    >the airtime.
    >
    >If you would like to have a free POP account you can
    >sign up for a gmail account and change the settings
    >under "Forwarding and POP" to allow POP access.

    Then I also decided that it's too much trouble having
    to connect a cable between my Treo and my notebook PC
    whenever I want to use my Treo as a modem. So I went
    out and bought a PC card Bluetooth adapter which can
    also work as a compact flash card reader.

    Now I can go to sit at Starbucks and use my notebook
    PC to surf the Web and nobody would know that I'm not
    paying them to do this.

    I'm still having trouble and getting this error:

    error: PPP timeout
    (0x1231)

    May I impose for a few more questions?

    Are you using a Verizon Treo 650?

    Where is the SECURITY area/tab that you describe below?

    Thanks for all your help, Paul

    nospam@earthlink.net wrote:

    >Paul <paulstromberg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>May I ask what settings you used... I'm having trouble
    >>getting mine to connect to sbc.
    >

    >NETWORK PREFERENCES
    >
    >Service: ... (choose any name you like)
    >Connection: Virtual Modem
    >Username: ...@earthlink.net
    >Password: Assigned
    >Phone: 3310177 (ISP's access phone number)
    >

    >SECURITY
    >
    >Incoming (POP)
    >Save Password: Yes
    >Authentication: Best Available
    >Security (SSL): None
    >
    >Outgoing (SMTP)
    >Authentication: Best Available
    > Same as Incoming
    >Security (SSL): None
    >
    >I also chose Overlap POP3 commands under the Receive tab
    >but don't know if it makes any difference.

    Paul
    pas@interaccess.com

    I'm using Treo 650. Are you using Eudora 2.1 from
    www.eudora.com ?

    To get to the security area after setting up an account
    tap "Eudora" at the top left corner of the screen, then
    tap "Options", "Accounts" and the name of the account
    you want to change settings for. You'll see 4 tabs near
    the top of the screen including the Security tab.

    Sorry I don't know anything about PPP timeout message.
    Are you trying to access SBC through one of their phone
    access numbers ?

    You may also want to try Verizon's low-speed qnc network.
    See http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/setup.html

    Paul <paulstromberg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >I'm still having trouble and getting this error:
    >
    >error: PPP timeout
    >(0x1231)
    >
    >May I impose for a few more questions?
    >
    >Are you using a Verizon Treo 650?
    >
    >Where is the SECURITY area/tab that you describe below?
    >
    >Thanks for all your help, Paul
    >
    >nospam@earthlink.net wrote:
    >

    >>Paul <paulstromberg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>>May I ask what settings you used... I'm having trouble
    >>>getting mine to connect to sbc.
    >>

    >>NETWORK PREFERENCES
    >>
    >>Service: ... (choose any name you like)
    >>Connection: Virtual Modem
    >>Username: ...@earthlink.net
    >>Password: Assigned
    >>Phone: 3310177 (ISP's access phone number)
    >>

    >>SECURITY
    >>
    >>Incoming (POP)
    >>Save Password: Yes
    >>Authentication: Best Available
    >>Security (SSL): None
    >>
    >>Outgoing (SMTP)
    >>Authentication: Best Available
    >> Same as Incoming
    >>Security (SSL): None
    >>
    >>I also chose Overlap POP3 commands under the Receive tab
    >>but don't know if it makes any difference.
    >
    >Paul
    >pas@interaccess.com

    That seems to have done it (it was a great link and I was using a bad
    modem string that someone had given me)! Thank you so much; it will be
    nice to access my email from the boon-docks.

    Thanks again, Paul

    nospam@earthlink.net wrote:

    >I'm using Treo 650. Are you using Eudora 2.1 from
    >www.eudora.com ?
    >
    >To get to the security area after setting up an account
    >tap "Eudora" at the top left corner of the screen, then
    >tap "Options", "Accounts" and the name of the account
    >you want to change settings for. You'll see 4 tabs near
    >the top of the screen including the Security tab.
    >
    >Sorry I don't know anything about PPP timeout message.
    >Are you trying to access SBC through one of their phone
    >access numbers ?
    >
    >You may also want to try Verizon's low-speed qnc network.
    >See http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/setup.html
    >

    >Paul <paulstromberg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>I'm still having trouble and getting this error:
    >>
    >>error: PPP timeout
    >>(0x1231)
    >>
    >>May I impose for a few more questions?
    >>
    >>Are you using a Verizon Treo 650?
    >>
    >>Where is the SECURITY area/tab that you describe below?
    >>
    >>Thanks for all your help, Paul
    >>
    >>nospam@earthlink.net wrote:

    >>>NETWORK PREFERENCES
    >>>
    >>>Service: ... (choose any name you like)
    >>>Connection: Virtual Modem
    >>>Username: ...@earthlink.net
    >>>Password: Assigned
    >>>Phone: 3310177 (ISP's access phone number)
    >>>

    >>>SECURITY
    >>>
    >>>Incoming (POP)
    >>>Save Password: Yes
    >>>Authentication: Best Available
    >>>Security (SSL): None
    >>>
    >>>Outgoing (SMTP)
    >>>Authentication: Best Available
    >>> Same as Incoming
    >>>Security (SSL): None
    >>>
    >>>I also chose Overlap POP3 commands under the Receive tab
    >>>but don't know if it makes any difference.
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>pas@interaccess.com

    Paul
    pas@interaccess.com

    I've found out that since I switched from Kyocera 7135
    to Treo 650 Verizon has been charging me for checking
    POP email and browsing the web even when I connect to
    the Internet by dialing Earthlink's local access number.

    I've already told Dan Albrich about this and he has already
    updated the info on his web site at http://cell.uoregon.edu

    You can go to www.verizonwireless.com and look at your
    account info to find out if you're being charged for doing
    the same things.

    Paul <paulstromberg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >That seems to have done it (it was a great link and I was
    >using a bad modem string that someone had given me)! Thank
    >you so much; it will be nice to access my email from the
    >boon-docks.
    >
    >Thanks again, Paul

    Have you checked the forum on either treoace.com or treocentral.com
    where palm enthusiasts are advising one another about how to do all
    sorts of things Verizon doesn't want you to know about.

    goodgutgut@yahoo.com wrote:
    >Have you checked the forum on either treoace.com
    >or treocentral.com where palm enthusiasts are
    >advising one another about how to do all sorts
    >of things Verizon doesn't want you to know about.

    I haven't seen anything like that and don't see any
    discussion forum at treoace.com.

    I think the reason it took Verizon so long to release
    the Treo 650 is because they wanted to make sure that
    nobody can send or receive data without paying even
    though they kept telling us that they were trying to
    make sure that everything works properly.

    Thanks Nos!

    I trashed my 7135 and need to get a insurance replacement.
    I use eudora to pop3 my yahoo mail for free using only airtime. This
    has been great!

    Now I see that the 650 may cost me ~$30/month to get my emails.
    I am closely watching this.

    May be cheaper and better for me to buy my own 7135 replacement from
    ebay. And I have all the accessories already.

    Would like the camera and blue tooth tho...

    Keep the comments coming!

    Albert

    nospam@earthlink.net wrote:
    > goodgutgut@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >Have you checked the forum on either treoace.com
    > >or treocentral.com where palm enthusiasts are
    > >advising one another about how to do all sorts
    > >of things Verizon doesn't want you to know about.
    >
    > I haven't seen anything like that and don't see any
    > discussion forum at treoace.com.
    >
    > I think the reason it took Verizon so long to release
    > the Treo 650 is because they wanted to make sure that
    > nobody can send or receive data without paying even
    > though they kept telling us that they were trying to
    > make sure that everything works properly.

    Hmm. Did you try posting the question there to see if the regulars
    would redirect you to the old thread?

    albertwang1@comcast.net wrote:

    >Thanks Nos!
    >
    >I trashed my 7135 and need to get a insurance
    >replacement. I use eudora to pop3 my yahoo mail
    >for free using only airtime. This has been great!
    >
    >Now I see that the 650 may cost me ~$30/month to
    >get my emails. I am closely watching this.
    >
    >May be cheaper and better for me to buy my own 7135
    >replacement from ebay. And I have all the accessories
    >already.
    >
    >Would like the camera and blue tooth tho...
    >
    >Keep the comments coming!

    Would the insurance give you a free Treo 650 without
    a new 1-year or 2-year contract to replace your 7135 ?

    goodgutgut@yahoo.com wrote:
    >Hmm. Did you try posting the question there
    >to see if the regulars would redirect you to
    >the old thread?

    Older posts indicate that Treo 600 users used to
    be able to get on the MOU (minutes of use) plan
    but since Verizon started offering Treo 650 they
    seem to be forcing everybody who buys this phone
    to get on one of their expensive data plans.

    There are not a lot of posts about the Treo 650
    and data usage here because Verizon just started
    offering this phone.

    >goodgutgut@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>Hmm. Did you try posting the question there
    >>to see if the regulars would redirect you to
    >>the old thread?
    >
    >Older posts indicate that Treo 600 users used to
    >be able to get on the MOU (minutes of use) plan
    >but since Verizon started offering Treo 650 they
    >seem to be forcing everybody who buys this phone
    >to get on one of their expensive data plans.
    >
    >There are not a lot of posts about the Treo 650
    >and data usage here because Verizon just started
    >offering this phone.

    So what would happen if somebody wants to upgrade
    from a Treo 600 with MOU for data to a Treo 650 ?
    Would they be automatically put on an expensive
    data plan ? Would Verizon's sales reps tell them
    that their phone bills will be about twice as much
    as before (with unlimited data usage) even though
    the two phones are almost the same ?

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:56:01 GMT, nospam@earthlink.net wrote:

    >I've found out that since I switched from Kyocera 7135
    >to Treo 650 Verizon has been charging me for checking
    >POP email and browsing the web even when I connect to
    >the Internet by dialing Earthlink's local access number.
    >
    >I've already told Dan Albrich about this and he has already
    >updated the info on his web site at http://cell.uoregon.edu

    This got me infuriated when I switched from the i600 to the Treo 600
    and nobody told me about this. Verizon ended up resolving the costs
    but everyone on the "new" faster network is charged per the current
    data plan. Anything other than extremely rare data use will render the
    $45 unlimited Internet plan the only one reasonable.

    The i600 and other phones of that generation run on Verizon's old,
    slower network, although I thought the surfing speed and pop mail
    retreival were fine.

    I have upgraded to the Treo 650, and continue to have my data usage as peak
    minutes of use, the old NA feature. This provides me with unlimited data in
    off-peak and weekends. If you had the original plan, you should be able to
    keep it. dr (Be nice, Verizon honors old commitments, and if that doesn't
    work, consider the "grovel.")
    --
    dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
    used to)
    If I can help: dr.news@better-price.biz.delete-the-obvious or thru this
    notes forum.
    home of the better priced phone and service:
    http://free.better-price.biz

    "Jo" <jo@thelook.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:56:01 GMT, nospam@earthlink.net wrote:
    >

    >>I've found out that since I switched from Kyocera 7135
    >>to Treo 650 Verizon has been charging me for checking
    >>POP email and browsing the web even when I connect to
    >>the Internet by dialing Earthlink's local access number.
    >>
    >>I've already told Dan Albrich about this and he has already
    >>updated the info on his web site at http://cell.uoregon.edu
    >
    > This got me infuriated when I switched from the i600 to the Treo 600
    > and nobody told me about this. Verizon ended up resolving the costs
    > but everyone on the "new" faster network is charged per the current
    > data plan. Anything other than extremely rare data use will render the
    > $45 unlimited Internet plan the only one reasonable.
    >
    > The i600 and other phones of that generation run on Verizon's old,
    > slower network, although I thought the surfing speed and pop mail
    > retreival were fine.

Verizon Email Treo Internet Service Providers