Sign in with
Your question

Win7 WEI (win experience index)

Tags:
  • Systems
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 3, 2010 12:58:15 AM

I have read, in several different forum topics, about win7 WEI.
I would like to share my thoughts about WEI here.
I also encourage thoughts, experiences, and hopefully "novice PC build" enthusiasm from others that appreciate Toms' as much as I do.
Let me start with:
1) I consider myself as a novice PC builder.
2) I consider WEI as a guideline to my systems weak/ strong points.
3) I consider Toms' Hardware as my best source for information and PC education.
In many of the forums that I have read, WEI has been "labeled" as a benchmark tool. It is not.
It is a tool though, in the way it can identify a systems weak and strong points.
I, as many of us do, like to build "kick A" budget systems.
And, as most of us know (or are learning) budget systems are a careful blend of quality and compromise.
WEI, to me, is a more important tool to balanced PC building than any benchmark tool available.
As a novice OC'er, I would appreciate some discussion on this topic..

More about : win7 wei win experience index

a c 209 $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 4:36:30 AM

The limitation of WEI is that it lumps a bunch of performance metrics together and gives you a single score (for example, disk transfer rate vs. access time vs. concurrent I/O). For the technically minded person who understands what kind of performance he needs, WEI is inadequate. But for the nontechnical user who just wants to know roughly where the system s/he's looking at stands in the overall spectrum of performance, it's a nice easy number to look at.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 6:20:30 AM

I would not use WEI as anything more than a basic indication of system performance. As a novice builder, it might give you a good starting point, but for more intensive system tweaking and optimising, WEI simply doesn't supply enough information.

The other thing I dislike is that the total score is simply equal to the lowest individual score. This can make a kick-a$$ PC look like a complete flop, say for example an i7-980X monster that happens to use an Intel IGP. A weighted average of all the individual parameters would be more accurate.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 3:40:43 PM

Yeah, as someone who never plays games and didn't want a noisy, power-hungry graphics card, it is slightly annoying that my 12GB Core i7 920 system with a 160GB Intel SSD has an overall rating of 3.7... But despite that it still goes like blazes. :D 
m
l
!