Sign in with
Your question

Please advice on buy a pc today considering the coming consoles(xbox 7

Last response: in Video Games
January 8, 2013 12:28:30 PM

HI All,
I am eager( reaaaaly cannot wait)to buy a new pc to do gaming, but I would be reaaaly sad, If cannot play the games of the new Xbox720 or PS4. I would spend 500-700 EUR(under 1k), and I do not want to risk to mount my self my hardware.

all the rumors say Xbox 720 will be not comparable to the current PC, sio I would like to kno if I can buy now, because also I need really urgently a PC desktop in my house to conect to the television.

could you please me help me, I already tried in others forum without reply, can I make this little dream true?
January 8, 2013 1:02:29 PM

Yes, Xbox will definitely not be comparable. It will have power of low end PC today, and when it gets released, such PCs will be at least twice as powerful.

Where do you live (country)? It depends on that because prices are different across the globe.
January 8, 2013 1:37:07 PM

Also bear in mind that, even if the next gen xbox is comparable to todays PCs, it will be stagnant for 5-6 years while the PC will move on in leaps and bounds. It's good, from the point of view, that the xbox will still be able to play new games released in 5-6 years at the same quailty as it does today, if not a little better, while todays PC may struggle.
Related resources
January 8, 2013 2:50:16 PM

oh guys you make me really happy

I was thinking that probably could be that I will have to manage a blue ray DVD but probably it is easy to add.
Anyway I live in the Netherlands to Amsterdam, If I could manage a case of 500 eu would be great, but really i do not know the minimal requisites to manage a future xbox. I saw a site there called that should also assemble the items for me, please tell me what intel, wich graphic card, really i cannot wait want to play and then plug the TV to the PC(maybe there is also the possibility to play:) )

Please tell me what I can buy and I will do immediately. I would like just to avoid to buy new stuff in the next 4-5 years having a pc quite good to play with the future titles
THANK YOU
January 8, 2013 2:53:47 PM

I'd hang on a little - Toms may be being meteorically thick by not reporting them, but nVidia and Valve have announced new consoles at CES - the nVidia one has a built in screen, is 'Steam compatible' and can somehow use a nVidia card over LAN for heavy-gaming on a large screen. The Vlave box brings Steam to your TV - that for me beats consoles hands down, apart from getting to Gran Turismo ;) . Oh and the Valve kit is modular so can be upgraded over time...
January 8, 2013 2:57:17 PM

kyzarvs said:
I'd hang on a little - Toms may be being meteorically thick by not reporting them, but nVidia and Valve have announced new consoles at CES - the nVidia one has a built in screen, is 'Steam compatible' and can somehow use a nVidia card over LAN for heavy-gaming on a large screen. The Vlave box brings Steam to your TV - that for me beats consoles hands down, apart from getting to Gran Turismo ;) . Oh and the Valve kit is modular so can be upgraded over time...

Dear Kyzarvs,
I do not need consoles, please if you can see my post above, I urgently need a desktop to work with excel, to play with mame( I am old and nostalgic) and to really enjoy a game experience. :D  :bounce: 
January 8, 2013 3:03:54 PM

I am busy at the moment but I'll fix something up in the next two hours.
January 8, 2013 3:08:06 PM

trocchietto said:
Dear Kyzarvs,
I do not need consoles, please if you can see my post above, I urgently need a desktop to work with excel, to play with mame( I am old and nostalgic) and to really enjoy a game experience. :D  :bounce: 

Sorry - I've re-read the thread and still can't see where you said that. I must be having a senior moment :D 
January 8, 2013 4:08:41 PM

It is best to wait until the releases of the new consoles and buy the 500-700 EUR PC. This way your pc will last the same time like the new consoles.

January 8, 2013 4:27:53 PM

Okay, let's start. What do you think about this setup?

Processor: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz ~= 160 euros
Motherboard: Any B75/H77 motherboard - cheapest you can find ~= 65 euros
RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz - Corsair/Kingston/GSkill are good ~= 35 euros
Storage: Hitachi/Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM ~= 65 euros
Video card: Nvidia GTX 660 2 GB ~= 200 euros
Case: Something Mid-ATX and good looking ~= 40 euros
Power supply unit: Corsair CX 430 or Antec VP 450 ~= 40 euros
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ~= 70 euros

Total: 610 euros.

Do you like it? :) 
January 9, 2013 8:37:26 AM

Sunius said:
Okay, let's start. What do you think about this setup?

Processor: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz ~= 160 euros
Motherboard: Any B75/H77 motherboard - cheapest you can find ~= 65 euros
RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz - Corsair/Kingston/GSkill are good ~= 35 euros
Storage: Hitachi/Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM ~= 65 euros
Video card: Nvidia GTX 660 2 GB ~= 200 euros
Case: Something Mid-ATX and good looking ~= 40 euros
Power supply unit: Corsair CX 430 or Antec VP 450 ~= 40 euros
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ~= 70 euros

Total: 610 euros.

Do you like it? :) 

I love it thank you Sunius, I proceed to buy and see if an online store can manage this for me.

Wish you a nice day

Sorry Kvarys probably I am wrong I did not mention that, anyway thank you for the tip that console will be definetely considered in the market for the features and the transportability.

January 9, 2013 8:43:44 AM

i would look at the Steam Box. as if the rumours are true at CES then it will be brilliant.
The steam console seems to be based on a PC that will run either Linux(steam) or windows. - dual bootable and it tiny.
google 'Xi3'
January 9, 2013 9:16:45 AM

^

Yet, it will be very overpriced...
January 9, 2013 2:32:06 PM

and will wait months for date of realease that could be delayed....
January 9, 2013 3:03:13 PM

Valve may be late delivery but when have they ever let you down for price and quality of games?
January 9, 2013 3:48:36 PM

Never said anything about games. However, no matter who makes prebuilt PCs, they will always be overpriced.
January 9, 2013 6:18:45 PM

trocchietto said:
HI All,
I would spend 500-700 EUR(under 1k), and I do not want to risk to mount my self my hardware.

My suggestion would be to make a trip to your local computer store (NOTE: not a general electronics store like Best Buy or Europe's equivalent), but a legit store that sells parts and is well known. Such stores usually offer services like putting together a custom PC which would include the parts you would pick. You can either ask them to pick parts for you (given the max price) or you can use the kindly provided list posted above. This way you are purchasing something that is build the right way and has great upgrading potential in the future.

On the topic of the new consoles. The EARLIEST they would be released is the end of this year (XMas would be my guess ) which gives you a full year of your computer use. Also it was already mentioned that consoles are static in terms of hardware, but desktops can be constantly upgraded given your schedule and demand.

Just my 2 cents...
January 10, 2013 7:38:30 AM

thank you Freshtodeath, your idea is really interesting, but I am afraid that a local store could assemply second hands parts, should I ask the single guarantee for every piece?

Rearding the console, do you mind to offer me an advice relating to the availability of games on one system and not in another?For instance I did not find UFC 3 Ultimate available for PC.

OR considering that the hardware of the PC looks on average more performing, there are emulators that do their work, without too much hassle? Thank you
!