Yet Another Critical Flaw in Adobe Flash Exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Abobe's note, the vulnerability exists in Flash Player 10.2.153.1 and... on and on...

Like as if anyone can really keep up with the version numbers.

How about say it this way: All versions of Adobe Flash 10.x and 9.x have a Critical Flaw?

Duh

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Come on, retire Flash now! Use HTML5 instead. Flash now gives me a deeper impression that it's resource hungry and unreliable!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Adobe says that it is currently in the process of finalizing a schedule for delivering a fix.

Exploits sound hard to patch when they say it like that.

Adobe tries to keep it's software safe, no matter what every single advanced program (one with "proper" features such as ability to show pictures, type text, display text, save data and read it) are vulnerable to some sort of exploit, even Anti-virus software can succumb to exploits.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]Come on, retire Flash now! Use HTML5 instead. Flash now gives me a deeper impression that it's resource hungry and unreliable![/citation]
HTML5 is not even finalized. And even when it is it will take some time until w3c recommends it.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]Come on, retire Flash now! Use HTML5 instead. Flash now gives me a deeper impression that it's resource hungry and unreliable![/citation]
HTML5 isn't that great. AFAIK, the HTML5 element is the only thing you use for drawing, and it is raster. Flash is mainly vector. And all your canvas stuff is drawn and animated with JavaScript. So I'd actually think HTML5 would need more resources than Flash!

kanape

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]HTML5 isn't that great. AFAIK, the HTML5 element is the only thing you use for drawing, and it is raster. Flash is mainly vector. And all your canvas stuff is drawn and animated with JavaScript. So I'd actually think HTML5 would need more resources than Flash![/citation]

there is svg tag for vectors ;)

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
This is only a problem for those stupid enough to open documents or run programs sent to them by unsolicited email. In which case they deserve everything they get.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I think there are some youtube videos running html5... test them out see how laggy they are. They take 3x longer to queue than normal and are constantly buffering. yeah enjoy that html5.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, and which browsers support HTML 5 and what is their combined usage share? Idiot!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]This is only a problem for those stupid enough to open documents or run programs sent to them by unsolicited email. In which case they deserve everything they get.[/citation]
Thank you for the wonderful advice. I'm now going to un-install all my anti-virus and security software since all I really need to to is ony open mail I trust.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]As a user, I loathe using flash sites.As a web developer, I loathe designing flash sites.Somehow, flash needs to die.[/citation]
That's cruel! Lazy coders and data miners can't live without Flash.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
And automattically turn off about 90% of internet content because HTML5 hasn't been put in place to replace it all yet.
So Youtube has some HTML5 content, whoopy-do, what about the other 10 bazillion websites?

G

So this is one place where I think Google messed up with Chrome. I think it was wrong to tie Flash into its browser. I would prefer a easier way to disable Flash or remove it. I really think Flash has to be one of the most sought after plug ins for hackers. I did understand Apple's stance on Flash until just recently. I am coming around to their thinking on Flash. But I am sure if Flash went away, the target would be something else.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]So this is one place where I think Google messed up with Chrome. I think it was wrong to tie Flash into its browser. I would prefer a easier way to disable Flash or remove it. I really think Flash has to be one of the most sought after plug ins for hackers. I did understand Apple's stance on Flash until just recently. I am coming around to their thinking on Flash. But I am sure if Flash went away, the target would be something else.[/citation]

And expect google to scrap its "supercookies" among other good ways to use flash to track your habbits? They live by tracking your every move on the net.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
What is it with adobe and them finding fatal flaws in the system that allows hackers to completely take control of the system? Epic fail, adobe... Epic fail.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
So is this news cus adobe announced their program has a vulnerability...

and as long as i can watch my maury "you are not the father"

i dont care if its flash or html5

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]So this is one place where I think Google messed up with Chrome. I think it was wrong to tie Flash into its browser. I would prefer a easier way to disable Flash or remove it. I really think Flash has to be one of the most sought after plug ins for hackers. I did understand Apple's stance on Flash until just recently. I am coming around to their thinking on Flash. But I am sure if Flash went away, the target would be something else.[/citation]
I like it the way google did it. Makes for the choice of having flash in Chrome and not in the rest of the system, especially while default browser is Firefox.
I keep flash on still, but seriously thinking of getting rid of it and occasionally opening it in chrome, maybe on incognito mode :p

Status
Not open for further replies.