CPU cooling

JevidL

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Hey ya'll,

I have a couple of questions about CPU cooling. I didn't see answers in the other posts, but I confess that I didn't search through all 25+ pages of the Cooling forum either! :) Anyway, here they are:

1. What is a "normal" CPU temperature? On my new machine, MBM5 reports that my Athlon XP 2400+ (Thorougbred B core) is running at 47C. Is this high/low/normal?

I am currently using the cooling that was supplied with the processor. I don't have tons of money to spend on something else, so water or other more exoctic (<drool>Vapochill</drool>) is a bit out of the question, however I do some video encoding and want to ensure that my CPU stays nice and cool.

My case temps are not bad... currently MBM5 reports 37C.

2. Assuming that the answer is that I am running a bit warm, or could just be doing better than I am with something not too expensive, what would you recommend?

I did check out the excellent article on CPU cooling before, but there doesn't seem to be too much in the way the brand new stuff on Tom's. I did read the 3200+ cooler article, but if a Volcano 10+ isn't going to cool me quite a bit, I don't want to waste the money. Anyway, thanks in advance for the input!

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
47C (under load??) is fairly normal :). 37C case temp is a bit high. My case never gets above 5C over room temp (usually 21-23C in room and 25C in case). If you don't plan on overclocking the retail hsf should work just fine. I would try to drop that case temp as there's lots of components in there to keep cool (ie add more/larger fans to case), this will also help your hsf do it's job more effectively.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=421" target="_new">Psyko's Puter</A>

JevidL

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Well, here's the deal...

*47C is under idle. Sorry I didn't specify. After encoding video long enough to keep the processor at 100% load, the CPU temp maxed at 51C.*

I have 2 80mm exhaust fans out the back and 1 80mm on the top as an exhaust fan.

I have a 92mm fan in the front and another 80mm on the side acting as in take fans.

Additionally, I have Antec PSU with a 92mm fan in the bottom and an 80mm fan in the back acting as, of course, exhaust fans.

Any suggestions on how to keep the case cooler than that would be appreciated... I am not sure what the ambient temperature of the room is.

*Edit* I have read some good reviews about the Thermaltake TR2TT (www.Newegg.com #N82E16835106603), but I was concerned about the weight. The price is good, and one of the customer reviews seems to see it mighty favorable, but at 397 grams it seems a bit weighty. I don't want to have to worry about the heatsink whenever I move my machine... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JevidL on 12/07/03 02:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
51C still isn't bad, try to avoid anything that remotely resembles 60C. You have almost the same number of case fans as myself (click my sig), perhaps your room temp is higher, case is smaller, hidden in dark corner or a little of each.

I cut all the "grilles" out of my exhaust fans using an 80mm hole saw which significantly increased airflow. All they did was hold dust inside the case while blocking airflow :(.

You should still be fine but heat can cause premature failure of computer equipment (hard drives!!). I would just try to keep it as low as you can.

The result I gave was mbm5's display. My digital thermometer (attached to mobo, between NB, VC, and RAM) has min 21.3C (computer off) upto max 31.1C (toasted for around an hour). This is not a very accurate case temp as it's actually board temp but it does give an idea of how hot I can possibly get it in there.

There's another issue and that's that onboard thermometers have been known to be inaccurate which is why I picked up a half decent digital with diode. Then I compared it to other thermometers to make sure it was accurate or find out by how far it's off.

Hope this helps, no recommendation from me as I'm happy with my Vantec Areoflow (HSF), not the heaviest, not the quietest but is doing the job very well right now (2500+ @ 2241MHz, toasted 1 hour, 51C :)).

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=421" target="_new">Psyko's Puter</A>

JevidL

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Thanks for the input! It sounds like I am running about where I should be... granted I am not overclocking but still.

I should really get my specs together, but that's a project for another time. The case is a little smaller... maybe I will try to mod it eventually. I did cut out the fan holes and place some wire grills over the fans that still allow good airflow. Maybe that's an idea for a future mod - the case thermometer! :)

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
47C idle, 51C load? LOL??
what's the ambient temperature in the room? 40C?? (110F or somethin)
i think not. a temperature differential as low as that from idle to load indicates fantastic cooling, which a stock AMD heatsink certainly is not. either the probe is reading incorrectly, or you have a phenomenal cooling system with absurdly high ambient temps
that is, at 47C idle, i would expect something around 60C load.
if you're not experiencing instability, i wouldn't worry about it. remount the heatsink/fan if you're worried about it, and see how your "temps" change. read up on heatsink mounting/thermal paste application if you don't know much about it, so you can be sure you do it correctly when you remount

----------------------------------------------
this signature area is too dern short, no space to put your system specs

JevidL

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
I thought it odd too that the difference was that low. On the other hand, I am quite confident that the heatsink is set well. I have done it many times (well, at least enough that I am comfortable with the process) and this is probably one of the best jobs I have done so far.

Oh well, I don't think it is running even close to too hot. And yes, the room is quite warm. Additionally, I doubt the validity of the case temp. I should try to find a better way of monitoring that... I am pretty confident about the temperature of the CPU die though. That is, of course, assuming I didn't mess up the set up for MDM5!

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
One thing that I failed to see in your comments was some heat reduction goop like Artic Silver III or heat reduction tape (not my favorite choice). This helps move the heat from the CPU to the heatsink. Artic Silver III cooled my P4 at full FPU at bore down about 5 degrees C compared to the goop I was using. MY P4 CPUs run about 33C to 36C at idle and low to mid 40s running Grid.org.

AMD CPUs usally runs warmer than Intel P4s.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

<A HREF="http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">Join the THG Team.</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jeff68005 on 12/13/03 11:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>