Games running choppy on high end computer.

G

GTX 680 2gb SC
i5 2400 @3.4ghz with enhanced turbo boost
8gb of vengeance ram
msi z77agd65 motherboard
850W corsair psu

Most games that I play like WoW or battlefield 3 run kinda choppy during some fights like during Sha of Anger fight, my fps would dip all the way down to 25fps. This is kind of confusing for me since battlefield3 itself never even dips down to 25fps and stays at 60-75fps on ultra settings, but bf3 as well gets choppy while running. I always keep all my drivers up to date including the windows update and I even run game booster and close all background programs before playing, yet I still get the same choppiness. I checked to see if my cpu or gpu were throtelling and I keep temperatures checked on a daily basis. cpu = 55c under load and gpu 45-51c under load (I have very good cooling systems).

So here is my problem guys, please help me resolve this issue and figure out what's going on because I really ran out of ideas.

Solution
what your seeing seems pretty normal. i dont play wow so i cant say for sure on that. but on bf3 you may want to use an app called bf3 configurator to limit the max fps to 60. this will free up some system resorces and as a result, increase the minimum fps.

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
What settings are you running them on? Games like WoW (mmos) focus mostly on your CPU and do not take advantage of multiple threads (game engine is too old for that). I mean, your system looks like it should handle it on high+ settings, but some options are too demanding.

My new computer (in sig) runs wow on custom (medium/high) settings and I stopped getting choppy in raids b\c of some options (like shadows, sun beams/shafts, particle density, drawing distance, etc) that are just not needed and I turned them medium/low. Shadows need to go first (easy 5+ fps right there). Basically, play around with your settings and see if any of them affect your performance AND please your aesthetically. I can probably run my settings way higher, but choose not to b\c it makes no difference to me.

madhairsilence

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Seeing you configuration, If ur PSU is working good, check your RAM. Could be the real culprit. I put an extra RAm which I got from my friend, thinking that it would add to my system performance, but in vain, it ruined it. After a very long time,after replacing all my hardwares, I found RAM was problematic.

Its sad to say, that RAM dont have a very big life as it is running with comparatively hot components.

I believe, in future, even RAMs will come with a cooling agent!

G

For PSU pc health check shows the following readings, which i believe is normal.
3.3V I got 3.325
5V I got 5.003
12V I got 11.968

Ram is a pain in the ass to test so that one will probably take me a while. Wouldn't I be getting a crap ton of BSODs if Ram was in any way faulty tho?
I run all my games on ultra settings because I don't find it acceptable at all to run any game on lower settings considering the setup that I have here. I understand that WoW is cpu heavy, but I think an i5 2400 is good enough to do the job and perhaps even an overkill for WoW specially.

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

You can already buy RAM with a heat spreader that is water-"coolable".

what your seeing seems pretty normal. i dont play wow so i cant say for sure on that. but on bf3 you may want to use an app called bf3 configurator to limit the max fps to 60. this will free up some system resorces and as a result, increase the minimum fps.

Solution
G

You were actually right HEXit. Setting the max fps to 60 greatly increased performance. Thanks for the help man. As far as WoW goes, Sunius is also right. I checked the WoW forums and surprisingly everyone is getting the same exact framerate range during the Sha fight regardless of CPU, which is weird but it puts me at ease. Thanks guys.

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah ...... I had the same problem with Sha of Anger, I think with the add ons I use and just the massive amount of things going on sometimes it runs perfect other times it can get a little choppy.

I'm running an I5 2500k at 4.8ghz 16GB ram and Sli'd 680's. I think its just something with the game sun shafts/shadows/rendering that slow down alot.