PC Gaming Noobie - RPGs

weezergirl1976

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi! I have been a console gamer pretty much all my life and I'd like to get into PC gaming. I have a couple of questions you guys may think are pretty silly, cuz I just don't know. I love RPGs best and PC always seems to get the best ones, but I like single player. I don't wanna do MMORPGs. On PS3/Xbox 360 I've played tons of FF, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fable II & III, Darksiders II, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dishonored etc.

So here's my two questions:
1. how powerful of a PC do I need to play awesome RPGs?
2. are there single player RPGs so I don't have to play with other people?

Thanks!! :D

tinyE

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
For what it's worth some of the best PC RPGs (not all but several) are the older ones and can be run on anything slightly more powerfull than a Speak&Spell. If your system can handle a Skyrim absolutley its A++ but if you have a few extra bucks Planescape and the Fallout games are remarkably fun for being so graphically unremarkable.

Assuming you hacve/are getting a 1920 x 1080 monitor, Modern RPG games can be played at ultra setting on a Radeon 7850 paired with an i3, If you are OK with medium -high settings a Pentium G series and a Radeon 7770 will do nicely. A i5 3570K + a Radeon 7950 or better will keep you on maximum settings and 60+FPS for a while. There are a few exceptions asa some games need serious hardware to play on max settings, I can't think of any RPGs though unless you count the ubersampling setting in Witcher 2.

weezergirl1976

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Wow..you know way more than I do lol. Thanks for the info and I will look into it :)

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
https://www.pathofexile.com/

It requires an Internet connection, but it can be played solo, so I'd classify it as single player, with optional multiplayer. Open beta starts on the 23rd of Jan.

It will run on a very weak card, even Intel HD3000.