Gateway's New Warranty Policies

I talked with a GW Customer Service rep today about extending
the one-year warranty on my 400 SP notebook. It comes up in
June 2004. I've heard about new warranty policy taking effect,
because of emachine merger. She checked with a supervisor and
said all existing customer/systems will be grandfathered under
current warranty and upgrade options (it looks like $149.99
for two more years for a 400 SP). However, any system purchased
after April 1, 2004, will come under new warranty. The rumor
is that new warranties will only cover parts...not labor. Anyone
else heard about this?

Scott
6 answers Last reply
More about gateway warranty policies

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:50:51 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >She checked with a supervisor and
    >said all existing customer/systems will be grandfathered under
    >current warranty and upgrade options

    When I purchased my 450 Laptop a little over a year ago, I also opted
    for an extended two years warranty (three years in all). While I do
    have my copy of the PO for this is a safe place in case GW tries
    something funny, I never got a copy of the actual warranty
    particulars. Got any idea what I could get a copy of that online?

    Regards,
    TR

    Beginning tomorrow, standard warranty will be for parts only. Other options
    available at additional cost. Current warranties will be honored (
    including older systems that have lifetime tech support). This clears the
    way to eliminate service centers at Country stores even if the retail
    operations linger awhile. Reducing overhead, payroll and benefit costs are
    a major thrust of the e-regime. This forum will be more important than
    ever.

    ken,

    if you have a laptop, this forum http://notebookforums.com/ can also help
    you if you have a problem.

    hth,
    indera

    "Ken Smith" <ken.smith3@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Beginning tomorrow, standard warranty will be for parts only. Other
    options
    > available at additional cost. Current warranties will be honored (
    > including older systems that have lifetime tech support). This clears the
    > way to eliminate service centers at Country stores even if the retail
    > operations linger awhile. Reducing overhead, payroll and benefit costs
    are
    > a major thrust of the e-regime. This forum will be more important than
    > ever.

    They no longer offer lifetime phone support on new machines?

    Smith

    "Ken Smith" <ken.smith3@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Beginning tomorrow, standard warranty will be for parts only. Other
    options
    > available at additional cost. Current warranties will be honored (
    > including older systems that have lifetime tech support). This clears the
    > way to eliminate service centers at Country stores even if the retail
    > operations linger awhile. Reducing overhead, payroll and benefit costs
    are
    > a major thrust of the e-regime. This forum will be more important than
    > ever.

    Lifetime telephone tech support has been an extra cost option for more than
    a year. As of today, telephone tech support end when the warranty ends.
    Source will be available after the end of the warranty period. As I said,
    this forum, with its knowledgeable contributors will more important than
    ever.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Oh okay, I bought my last Gateway back in 01. I always used to browse the
    site for deals, but never looked at the warranty options, assumed they
    didn't change. My sister just bought a Gateway a few months ago, guess she
    doesn't have it then, and that was one of the reasons I recomended a Gateway
    too...doh. I've been very happy with my 3 warranty, so far they've replaced
    my ram, hard drive, and psu without any hassle. I actually need to go
    extend it for a year or two more, just to be safe since I'be had to already
    replace so much hehe.

    > Lifetime telephone tech support has been an extra cost option for more
    than
    > a year. As of today, telephone tech support end when the warranty ends.
    > Source will be available after the end of the warranty period. As I said,
    > this forum, with its knowledgeable contributors will more important than
    > ever.

Gateway Computers