Skyrim Hearthfire problem, game keeps shutting down to the desktop

laurafoxinsocks

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Recently my brother got the Hearthfire DLC for me and added in onto Skyrim for me.
I went through a built my house (Lakeview Manor near Falkreath), got married (Balimund the Blacksmith in Riften), got a housecarl (Aela the Huntress) and adopted two kids (Sophie and Blaise).
But now everytime I go into the game and go near, or especially when I go in the house, the game randomly shuts down to my desktop. I can be in the game less than a minute and it will do this.

I originally thought it would happen no matter where I went in the game, but yesterday I went through and did several quests for the Dark Brotherhood over about two hours and had no problem, but as soon as I went to the house to drop some things off, as soon as I walking in the door and took a couple steps it closed down to the desktop with no warning.

Just incase any of this info might help to answer my question
I also have the Dawnguard DLC activated, my laptop in an Alienware model, with 4GB of RAM, if I remember correctly. The operating system is Windows 7

If you can help it would be much apprieciated and if there is anything else you need to know to answer my question just ask, although I will warn you I'm not as tech savvie as my brother and so I may have a little trouble answering.

Thanks L.F

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Okay I haven't played skyrim before but will try to help you if it is a outside problem. To get started let me know your graphics card model and Operating system (exact version) and of course your CPU.

And yeah , if you have inconvinience finding your system specs , just type in your notebook brand and exact model no....

laurafoxinsocks

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
It's a non-modded game and only dies at a certain point in a certain location, so it seems game related not hardware related. The game has run completely fine up until the point where I installed Hearthfire and I was able to play it for roughly 5-10 hours hours at which point this started happening at a Hearthfire specific location.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Well you can do a few things which might help........

1)Turn DEP off for Skyrim -
Right click my computer icon - go to properties - click the advanced button - here under perfomance tab click settings - click Data Execution Prevention tab - select
"turn on DEP for all programs except...." and add skyrim.exe (or whatever the application is) here and apply and ok......

2)Try playing the game at lower resolutions

3)Try turning any antivirus off or any unnecessary processes running background.

4)save the game before the mentioned location ,,,,exit...and defragment the entire game folder.

NOTE-this type of things occur in 2 cases....Inability of GPU to handle the application at that specific location (maybe some high graphics terrain) or the software being not a original one. Anyway I am not considering the second case and that's why I asked for your system specs.