posting in google groups

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 7, 2004 9:02:42 PM

I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
(site may be down).

Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.

If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
can post.

It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

Thanks

--
All responses to the newsgroup please

More about : posting google groups

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:08:09 AM

"Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
> (site may be down).
>
> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
>
> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
> can post.
>
> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

What are your rules for http access?
June 8, 2004 7:02:00 AM

Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

> "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
>> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
>> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
>> (site may be down).
>>
>> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
>>
>> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
>> can post.
>>
>> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
>> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

> What are your rules for http access?

Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port
June 8, 2004 11:00:55 AM

> Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
>
> > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> >> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find
the
> >> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
> >> (site may be down).
> >>
> >> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
> >>
> >> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that
> >> can post.
> >>
> >> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides
with
> >> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)
>
> > What are your rules for http access?
>

> Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port

That should be:
TCP(Out) [Any Port] [Any Address]:[80] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
You'll also need to update the IE cache:
UDP(Out) [Any Port] [127.0.0.1]:[Any Port] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE

Note: the above line does not mean you are sending UDP to an external
address. 127.0.0.1 is used so processes can communicate locally without
going through network drivers, i.e. IE and its cache.
June 9, 2004 7:12:39 AM

Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

> "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
>> Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
>>
>> > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> the

> with
>>
>> > What are your rules for http access?
>>

>> Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port

> That should be:
> TCP(Out) [Any Port] [Any Address]:[80] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
> You'll also need to update the IE cache:
> UDP(Out) [Any Port] [127.0.0.1]:[Any Port] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE

> Note: the above line does not mean you are sending UDP to an external
> address. 127.0.0.1 is used so processes can communicate locally without
> going through network drivers, i.e. IE and its cache.

The main difference appears to be in port 80 vs any port. Would this make
much difference?

You talk of updating the cache (IE). Where would these lines be stored?

I have noticed an interesting phenomena with kerio and posting (I have
posted this in this group). Basically, I cannot post under kerio. But, If
I click on the kerio icon in the system tray such that I get a kerio
screen, then I can post. I need to make an adjustment somewhere. Any
thoughts

Best wishes

using IE5, windows98se
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:01:30 AM

> Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
>
> > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message

> > the

> > with

> >> Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port
>
> > That should be:
> > TCP(Out) [Any Port] [Any Address]:[80] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
> > You'll also need to update the IE cache:
> > UDP(Out) [Any Port] [127.0.0.1]:[Any Port] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
>
> > Note: the above line does not mean you are sending UDP to an external
> > address. 127.0.0.1 is used so processes can communicate locally without
> > going through network drivers, i.e. IE and its cache.
>

> The main difference appears to be in port 80 vs any port. Would this make
> much difference?

Because http operates on that port. You want to make your rules as tight
as you can get away with.

> You talk of updating the cache (IE). Where would these lines be stored?

The same place as all the other rules. You also have to set a rule to update
the mail/newsreader's cache

> I have noticed an interesting phenomena with kerio and posting (I have
> posted this in this group). Basically, I cannot post under kerio. But, If
> I click on the kerio icon in the system tray such that I get a kerio
> screen, then I can post. I need to make an adjustment somewhere. Any
> thoughts

That's weird!

> Best wishes

Find some way to send me your email address and I'll send you my
Kerio 2.1.5 "config" file (Icon=>Administration=>Miscellaneous=>)
First save your current config (I do that after every change) then load
mine. You'll have to make some changes e.g. addresses of DNS
servers, etc.

Alan
June 12, 2004 8:18:45 AM

Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

> "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
>> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
>> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
>> (site may be down).
>>
>> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
>>
>> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
>> can post.
>>
>> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
>> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

> What are your rules for http access?

I have arule for MS Internet Explorer
TCPout anyport anyaddress:anyport

Nothing written in for http and more important https
(need advice)

thanks

June 13, 2004 12:17:42 AM

> Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
>
> > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
> >> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find
the
> >> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
> >> (site may be down).
> >>
> >> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
> >>
> >> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that
> >> can post.
> >>
> >> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides
with
> >> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)
>
> > What are your rules for http access?
>

> I have arule for MS Internet Explorer
> TCPout anyport anyaddress:anyport
>
> Nothing written in for http and more important https
> (need advice)
>
> thanks

To be more secure it should be [any address]:[80]
for HTTP. You must also permit IE to send UDP
out from [any port] to [127.0.0.1]:[Any port] What
you're doing here is not communicating with any
remote port but simply updating the IE cache. The
same applies to OE. Without cache support, these
programs crawl.
!