posting in google groups

I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
(site may be down).

Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.

If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
can post.

It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

Thanks

--
All responses to the newsgroup please
7 answers Last reply

    "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    > I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
    > right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
    > (site may be down).
    >
    > Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
    >
    > If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
    > can post.
    >
    > It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
    > installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

    What are your rules for http access?

    Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

    > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    >> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
    >> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
    >> (site may be down).
    >>
    >> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
    >>
    >> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
    >> can post.
    >>
    >> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
    >> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

    > What are your rules for http access?

    Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port

    > Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    > >> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find
    the
    > >> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
    > >> (site may be down).
    > >>
    > >> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
    > >>
    > >> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that
    > >> can post.
    > >>
    > >> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides
    with
    > >> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)
    >
    > > What are your rules for http access?
    >

    > Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port

    That should be:
    TCP(Out) [Any Port] [Any Address]:[80] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
    You'll also need to update the IE cache:
    UDP(Out) [Any Port] [127.0.0.1]:[Any Port] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE

    Note: the above line does not mean you are sending UDP to an external
    address. 127.0.0.1 is used so processes can communicate locally without
    going through network drivers, i.e. IE and its cache.

    Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

    > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    >> Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    > the

    > with
    >>
    >> > What are your rules for http access?
    >>

    >> Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port

    > That should be:
    > TCP(Out) [Any Port] [Any Address]:[80] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
    > You'll also need to update the IE cache:
    > UDP(Out) [Any Port] [127.0.0.1]:[Any Port] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE

    > Note: the above line does not mean you are sending UDP to an external
    > address. 127.0.0.1 is used so processes can communicate locally without
    > going through network drivers, i.e. IE and its cache.

    The main difference appears to be in port 80 vs any port. Would this make
    much difference?

    You talk of updating the cache (IE). Where would these lines be stored?

    I have noticed an interesting phenomena with kerio and posting (I have
    posted this in this group). Basically, I cannot post under kerio. But, If
    I click on the kerio icon in the system tray such that I get a kerio
    screen, then I can post. I need to make an adjustment somewhere. Any
    thoughts

    Best wishes

    using IE5, windows98se

    > Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > with

    > >> Microsoft Internet Explorer TCP(out) Any Port Any Address Any Port
    >
    > > That should be:
    > > TCP(Out) [Any Port] [Any Address]:[80] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
    > > You'll also need to update the IE cache:
    > > UDP(Out) [Any Port] [127.0.0.1]:[Any Port] Owner: IEXPLORE.EXE
    >
    > > Note: the above line does not mean you are sending UDP to an external
    > > address. 127.0.0.1 is used so processes can communicate locally without
    > > going through network drivers, i.e. IE and its cache.
    >

    > The main difference appears to be in port 80 vs any port. Would this make
    > much difference?

    Because http operates on that port. You want to make your rules as tight
    as you can get away with.

    > You talk of updating the cache (IE). Where would these lines be stored?

    The same place as all the other rules. You also have to set a rule to update
    the mail/newsreader's cache

    > I have noticed an interesting phenomena with kerio and posting (I have
    > posted this in this group). Basically, I cannot post under kerio. But, If
    > I click on the kerio icon in the system tray such that I get a kerio
    > screen, then I can post. I need to make an adjustment somewhere. Any
    > thoughts

    That's weird!

    > Best wishes

    Find some way to send me your email address and I'll send you my
    Kerio 2.1.5 "config" file (Icon=>Administration=>Miscellaneous=>)
    First save your current config (I do that after every change) then load
    mine. You'll have to make some changes e.g. addresses of DNS
    servers, etc.

    Alan

    Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

    > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    >> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find the
    >> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
    >> (site may be down).
    >>
    >> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
    >>
    >> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that I
    >> can post.
    >>
    >> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides with
    >> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)

    > What are your rules for http access?

    I have arule for MS Internet Explorer
    TCPout anyport anyaddress:anyport

    Nothing written in for http and more important https
    (need advice)

    thanks

    > Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    > >> I can read posts in google groups, but I can't post. IE5 seems to find
    the
    > >> right page, connects briefly, then redirects to a connot connect page
    > >> (site may be down).
    > >>
    > >> Could this have anything to do with kerio 2.1.5.
    > >>
    > >> If so, can anyone suggest how I can make an adjustment to kerio so that
    > >> can post.
    > >>
    > >> It could of course be a problem at google, but the problem coincides
    with
    > >> installing kerio (but could be coincidence)
    >
    > > What are your rules for http access?
    >

    > I have arule for MS Internet Explorer
    > TCPout anyport anyaddress:anyport
    >
    > Nothing written in for http and more important https
    > (need advice)
    >
    > thanks

    To be more secure it should be [any address]:[80]
    for HTTP. You must also permit IE to send UDP
    out from [any port] to [127.0.0.1]:[Any port] What
    you're doing here is not communicating with any
    remote port but simply updating the IE cache. The
    same applies to OE. Without cache support, these
    programs crawl.

Firewalls Google Networking