LG VX4400 vs VX4500

Our two-year contract time will be coming up soon, so it's time
to consider upgrading from current VX4400 phones. Overall,
the 4400's have been fine. I don't need picture capability.
Reception has usually been OK. I'm considering the VX4500
as long as it's not a step backward. I assume it's got some new
features.

What are the primary differences between the 4400 and 4500?

Are the address books about the same? More characters allowed,
or more entries available in the VX4500?

Will the 4500 work with the same Datapilot software and USB
cable, or do these need to be updated?

Anything else that could be a factor?

----

Has Samsung or anyone else come up with a new phone that
would be preferrable? I think I disqualified them last time based
on short address book entries (lots of entries, but not many chars
per entry).
10 answers Last reply
More about vx4400 vx4500

    I think the cable is different. The big difference is that the VX4500
    is digital only, NO analog if that is important to you.

    Ron

    _|_ wrote:

    > Our two-year contract time will be coming up soon, so it's time
    > to consider upgrading from current VX4400 phones. Overall,
    > the 4400's have been fine. I don't need picture capability.
    > Reception has usually been OK. I'm considering the VX4500
    > as long as it's not a step backward. I assume it's got some new
    > features.
    >
    > What are the primary differences between the 4400 and 4500?
    >
    > Are the address books about the same? More characters allowed,
    > or more entries available in the VX4500?
    >
    > Will the 4500 work with the same Datapilot software and USB
    > cable, or do these need to be updated?
    >
    > Anything else that could be a factor?
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Has Samsung or anyone else come up with a new phone that
    > would be preferrable? I think I disqualified them last time based
    > on short address book entries (lots of entries, but not many chars
    > per entry).

    > Nothing real compelling for me so far.
    >
    >> - The 4500 only has a slow serial interface which makes it
    >> really slow over a cable.
    >
    > That's the surprise. I presume you are referring to Datapilot,
    > BitPim, etc? To be honest, I haven't used any external
    > software yet, but I intend to. I don't understand how they
    > could screw up the serial interface.

    It isn't screwed up. It is just that a serial interface
    is slower than a direct USB interface and can be somewhat
    more finicky since things like baud rates matter.

    > LG seemed to have a handle on user interface. I thought that if
    > anyone could improve their existing phone that it would be LG or
    > Samsung. That's disappointing. I guess they haven't even
    > boosted the amount of memory for the phone book?

    Ah, you are right about that. The LG phones with a model number
    greater than 4400 have 500 entries. (The 3200 and 4400 only have
    200).

    The 7000 and 8000 are almost identical and the phonebook has been
    severely crippled. They made it worse by halving the number of
    types of numbers, reducing the number of email addresses, URLS
    etc. The UI is also "fixed" for what number types you can
    provide. ie you provide the following five numbers in this
    order: cell, home, work, cell2, fax. If you have more than one
    work number, or a pager number then tough. (The underlying
    data storage is richer than the UI and does allow multiple
    home, work etc.) They are also styled in a distinctive way.
    Basically I figure people who think the Honda Element or
    Toyota Scion look good will like the look of these models.

    Roger

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:50:12 -0700, "Roger Binns"
    <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

    >> _|_:
    >> That's the surprise. I presume you are referring to Datapilot,
    >> BitPim, etc? To be honest, I haven't used any external
    >> software yet, but I intend to. I don't understand how they
    >> could screw up the serial interface.
    >
    >It isn't screwed up. It is just that a serial interface
    >is slower than a direct USB interface and can be somewhat
    >more finicky since things like baud rates matter.

    Well, OK. But if they eliminated USB and only have straight
    serial, then I think they screwed it up. As you point out, it will
    be sensitive to baud rate settings, etc. I'm not sure all laptops
    have serial interfaces these days. I'd have to check mine.

    This has to be purely a cost-cutting move. I can't imagine that
    it will do their tech support people any good.

    >> LG seemed to have a handle on user interface. I thought that if
    >> anyone could improve their existing phone that it would be LG or
    >> Samsung. That's disappointing. I guess they haven't even
    >> boosted the amount of memory for the phone book?
    >
    >Ah, you are right about that. The LG phones with a model number
    >greater than 4400 have 500 entries. (The 3200 and 4400 only have
    >200).

    Given the other changes, I'd suspect that something else has been
    sacrificed. I remember thinking that the tiny Samsung (that came out
    when I got my 4400) had lots of space in their phone book, but it
    turned out that their entries were half as long as the 4400 (if memory
    serves).

    >The 7000 and 8000 ....
    >....(The underlying
    >data storage is richer than the UI and does allow multiple
    >home, work etc.)

    Not sure I follow the paren'd comment. Are more entries available
    via external software as compared to straight UI-programming?
    Those are probably camera phones anyway, so unless their regular
    non-camera features were better than the 4400, I probably won't
    bother looking at them.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:36:13 GMT, "dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam"
    <dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam> wrote:

    >Both great phones, but: 4500: dual mode, speaker phone, driving mode. 4400:
    >tri-mode and almost as good (imho) as the startac. If analog isn't
    >important, the 4500 is an awesome choice of the two. If analog is
    >important, the 4400 is rock solid. For a full comparison, I'm guessing you
    >looked at phonescoop.com. dr.

    No, I hadn't looked at phonescoop, but I just did. Thanks for the
    recommendation.

    Phonescoop lists a VX4600, which, by the description, is probably the
    successor to the 4500 (and hence the 4400). There are a few good
    reviews of the 4600 by prior-owners of 4400's.

    The description also says it has AMPS 'in some versions.' Not sure
    what that means, but it would imply that it could be a decent
    replacement for the 4400, no?

    Phonescoop link:
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=314

    Any reason it wasn't mentioned in this thread?

    I have a VX4500 and it works just fine on USB with the MOK from Verizon.

    Ron

    _|_ wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:50:12 -0700, "Roger Binns"
    > <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>_|_:
    >>>That's the surprise. I presume you are referring to Datapilot,
    >>>BitPim, etc? To be honest, I haven't used any external
    >>>software yet, but I intend to. I don't understand how they
    >>>could screw up the serial interface.
    >>
    >>It isn't screwed up. It is just that a serial interface
    >>is slower than a direct USB interface and can be somewhat
    >>more finicky since things like baud rates matter.
    >

    > Well, OK. But if they eliminated USB and only have straight
    > serial, then I think they screwed it up. As you point out, it will
    > be sensitive to baud rate settings, etc. I'm not sure all laptops
    > have serial interfaces these days. I'd have to check mine.

    Snip

    "Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
    *snip good info re: phones*

    > The 7000 and 8000 are almost identical and the phonebook has been
    > severely crippled. They made it worse by halving the number of
    > types of numbers, reducing the number of email addresses, URLS
    > etc. The UI is also "fixed" for what number types you can
    > provide. ie you provide the following five numbers in this
    > order: cell, home, work, cell2, fax. If you have more than one
    > work number, or a pager number then tough. (The underlying
    > data storage is richer than the UI and does allow multiple
    > home, work etc.) They are also styled in a distinctive way.
    > Basically I figure people who think the Honda Element or
    > Toyota Scion look good will like the look of these models.
    >
    > Roger

    Ew yuck Roger. Come on. I like my 7000 (it's certainly not the most
    beautiful phone but still pleasing enough to the eye) but both of those
    vehicles are f-ugly!

    --
    JennL

    > Well, OK. But if they eliminated USB and only have straight
    > serial, then I think they screwed it up. As you point out, it will
    > be sensitive to baud rate settings, etc. I'm not sure all laptops
    > have serial interfaces these days. I'd have to check mine.

    All the cables for the VX4500 are USB on the computer end and
    serial on the phone end with a USB to serial convertor chip
    in between somewhere. This isn't as big a deal as it may seem.
    The VX4400 has both serial and direct USB but you can only use
    the serial interface for diagnostics mode (phonebook etc).

    > This has to be purely a cost-cutting move. I can't imagine that
    > it will do their tech support people any good.

    LG doesn't support users directly. You end up buying a kit from
    somewhere that includes a cable and software. It is that vendor
    that then deals with the issues. Things got so bad with BitPim
    that we ultimately refuse to give support for phone connectivity
    issues.

    > Given the other changes, I'd suspect that something else has been
    > sacrificed.

    Nope. I haven't been able to find anything else where it has been
    sacrificed. The embedded filesystem has just under 6MB of memory
    compared to the VX4400 which has around 1MB.

    >>The 7000 and 8000 ....
    >>....(The underlying
    >>data storage is richer than the UI and does allow multiple
    >>home, work etc.)
    >
    > Not sure I follow the paren'd comment. Are more entries available
    > via external software as compared to straight UI-programming?

    No, less constraints per entry. If you use the UI on the phone
    then an entry can only have the fields I listed in the order
    I listed them. A piece of software talking over the cable
    can supply the same number of fields, but any of the fields
    can be any of the supported types.

    Roger

    I urged my friend to get the 4400 as a startac replacement. He has had
    good luck and loves the phone.
    I'll be hunting for another 4400 refurb/used handset. Wonder what the
    going rate is?

    I've been keeping my same handset, the Audiovox 9500, a LG4400
    contemporary. Getting a new handset is becomming less appealing, since
    I'll have to replace at least $300+ worth of accessories, including
    antenna adapters, several kinds of battery chargers (CLA battery only
    and desktop charger), and multiple backup batteries, data cable,
    software, and several expensive cases.

    On top of that I'm not too excited about the time it will take to learn
    a new UI and then get comfortable with it. I really delve into the
    programming and debug menus and have a huge address book. I can't count
    the hours it's taken to refine network and free web settings and custom
    dial strings and voicedial. Besides the loss of a load of ringtones and
    wallpapers that will disappear when service is transferred to a new
    handset.

    For those that need more sophisticated data phones, I can see the
    reason to update, but I suspect many of us have found a phone that
    still does everything we require.
    It's all those accessories and UI learning time that makes a new
    handset far more expensive than the Cellco's renewing sticker price, at
    least for me.

    The one good thing about an older model phone is the prices for
    batteries and every accessory can drop dramatically. New batteries can
    make a big difference in talk/standby times after the originals have
    been used a year or two.

    I bought 4 new batteries for my AVX 9500 and one for my buddies LG
    4400, for less than $15 each shipped. Lots better than $25-50+ usual
    ripoff rates.
    The extended battery life was immediatley apparent, since the original
    Li-Ions degrade gradually, but the loss is steady over time.

    Batteryuniversity.com is excellent battery reference site covering just
    about any kind of battery issue.
    Anyway, for those that want a good deal on new OEM LG4400/AVX 9500
    batteries and a few others, check out...

    http://www.andale.com/store?sid=248304&cid=12642682&mode=1&catId=1315538&pnum=1&tpages=null&psize=10&lid=&storeLayout=techno&storeTheme=techno_green&view=CAT_HOME&newStore=null&parentCatId=

    Just a happy customer, trying to save others with older handsets some
    money. Was concerned how long these batteries might have been sitting
    and how much capacity has been lost, but they are such a big
    improvement over my 2 year old ones and so cheap, that I don't have any
    misgivings.

    Also looking at a refurb/good used 4400... what's the going rate? on
    ebay? Does VZW still have any LG4400 refurbs?

    -
    David

    Roger Binns, are you from the KC area; (off topic, and if so, will keep it
    short)
    --
    dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
    used to)

    "dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam" <dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam> wrote in message
    > Roger Binns, are you from the KC area; (off topic, and if so, will keep it short)

    Not even remotely. In fact I'd have trouble finding it on a map.

    Roger

Verizon Internet Service Providers