700XL Dead

I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. It won't power on.

Other hardware plugged into the surge suppressor are OK. I plugged it into a
different outlet in the house that is not on the same circuit breaker -
still dead.

Any suggestions for what I should try before calling Gateway?

Thanks, Allen

Plugged it in again and pressed the power button. It gave a brief flicker of
green on the front of the F Drive (the lower drive) and the power light
shows orange, but it won't go on.

"A. & C. Bredt" <abredt@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. It won't power on.
>
> Other hardware plugged into the surge suppressor are OK. I plugged it into
> different outlet in the house that is not on the same circuit breaker -
> still dead.
>
> Any suggestions for what I should try before calling Gateway?
>
> Thanks, Allen

My guess is power supply - I have heard so much from friends, etc. about how
their power supplies are failing in their Gateways..... but it's very easy
to replace.

"A. & C. Bredt" <abredt@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a 700XL running Windows XP Home. It won't power on.
>
> Other hardware plugged into the surge suppressor are OK. I plugged it into
> different outlet in the house that is not on the same circuit breaker -
> still dead.
>
> Any suggestions for what I should try before calling Gateway?
>
> Thanks, Allen

Can I do it myself? It's still under the 3-year extended warranty.

Should I call Gateway first?

Thanks, Allen

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:45:16 GMT, "A. & C. Bredt" <abredt@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Can I do it myself? It's still under the 3-year extended warranty.
>
>Should I call Gateway first?
>
>Thanks, Allen

You can do it yourself...but if you are still under warranty call
Gateway and have them send you the replacement power supply...then if
you are comfortable making the swap go for it...
I had a power supply go out on an old Gateway and I ordered new and
larger one from PC Power & Cooling....I did have to make a slight
modification to the back of the case with a Dremell...but for me it
was worth it to have a bigger and better PSU...
Good Luck
Glenn M
A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

Thanks to all. I'm going out of town for a few days and will call Gateway
when I get back.