any firewall that passes norton's test?

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

hi everybody

does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
personal firewall. neither can pass the test.

in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
only a hardware firewall can pass this test?

thanks much
21 answers Last reply
More about firewall passes norton test
  1. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 03:59:20 +0000 (UTC), sharon
    <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote:
    >
    >hi everybody
    >
    >does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    >symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
    >personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    >in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
    >only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >
    >thanks much
    >

    What was the part of the test that failed?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    sharon <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote in
    news:Xns95018B26881D3123234abc@203.109.252.31:

    > hi everybody
    >
    > does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    > symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
    > mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    > in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
    > that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >

    One has to know what he or she is doing with a product, like configuring it
    properly.

    Duane :)
  3. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    sharon wrote:
    | hi everybody
    |
    | does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    | symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
    | mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    |
    | in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
    | that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    |
    | thanks much

    WinXP Pro Sp1, ZA Pro, The Cleaner Anti Tojan ,Etrust Antivirus.
    Passed everything except the Antivirus part.
    What a piece of feeces.

    *Scan Results:*
    The scanner did not detect recent virus definitions on your computer.

    I use Etrust EZ antivirus v6.2.0.28 and is up-to-date with yesterday's
    date.

    --
    S.S.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    hi

    the first test fails. the telnet port and another port cannot be closed.
    the computer always responds to a ping.

    rgds
    >
    > What was the part of the test that failed?
    >
  5. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:13:48 -0400, StarScripter spoketh

    >sharon wrote:
    >| hi everybody
    >|
    >| does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    >| symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
    >| mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >|
    >| in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
    >| that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >|
    >| thanks much
    >
    >WinXP Pro Sp1, ZA Pro, The Cleaner Anti Tojan ,Etrust Antivirus.
    >Passed everything except the Antivirus part.
    >What a piece of feeces.
    >
    >*Scan Results:*
    >The scanner did not detect recent virus definitions on your computer.
    >
    >I use Etrust EZ antivirus v6.2.0.28 and is up-to-date with yesterday's
    >date.

    You have to keep in mind that this is essentially a sales tool
    camouflaged as a security tool...


    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
    (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
  6. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Where is the test located on Symantec's site? I could not find it....

    --

    -Jesse

    http://www.pixelpages.net/conservativemind

    Disclaimer: Spelling & grammar errors are made on purpose for those who are
    fulfilled by correcting others.


    "sharon" <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns95018B26881D3123234abc@203.109.252.31...
    > hi everybody
    >
    > does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    > symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
    > personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    > in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
    > only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >
    > thanks much
  7. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    >Where is the test located on Symantec's site? I could not find it....

    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp
    --
    Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
  8. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > My ZoneAlarm Free version passes just fine, in fact since I don't browse
    > with javascript enabled, the Symantec test tucks its tail and refuses to
    > even run. ;-)
    >

    If the JavaScript is disabled then why do you say your ZoneAlarm has passed.
    Without the JavaScript the test can't complete the entire cycle.

    Btw hackers don't need JavaScript to hack a machine
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > One has to know what he or she is doing with a product, like configuring
    it
    > properly.
    >


    Not everybody is a security expert or understand ActiveX and JavaScripts
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <Xns95018B26881D3123234abc@203.109.252.31>, sharon@dontspamme.com
    says...
    > hi everybody
    >
    > does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    > symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
    > personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    > in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
    > only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >
    > thanks much
    >
    Outpost pro passes it fine.
    me
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    sharon wrote:
    > hi everybody
    >
    > does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    > symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
    > mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    > in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
    > that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >
    > thanks much

    Win2K with Outpost PF passed.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    I started thinking something odd was going on in
    comp.security.firewalls when one foggy november evening sharon
    <sharon@dontspamme.com> came into my office and told me:

    > hi
    >
    > the first test fails. the telnet port and another port cannot be
    > closed. the computer always responds to a ping.

    Any of those firewalls would have warned you of a ping or telnet
    attempt and asked you if you want to block it or not, if it didnt
    then the ping and telnet connection were responded to by something
    one step before your machine.

    how do you connect to the internet - it could be that it is not your
    computer which responds but your router or something.

    --
    Iphigenie

    http://www.iphi.net
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    StarScripter wrote:

    > sharon wrote:
    > | hi everybody
    > |
    > | does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    > | symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
    > | mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    > |
    > | in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
    > | that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    > |
    > | thanks much
    >
    > WinXP Pro Sp1, ZA Pro, The Cleaner Anti Tojan ,Etrust Antivirus.
    > Passed everything except the Antivirus part.
    > What a piece of feeces.
    >
    > *Scan Results:*
    > The scanner did not detect recent virus definitions on your computer.
    >
    > I use Etrust EZ antivirus v6.2.0.28 and is up-to-date with yesterday's
    > date.
    >

    You are correct. Etrust EZ antivirus IS a piece of feces.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Smiling Wickedly, ClareOldie answered, In the year 6/8/2004 1:17 PM:

    > sharon wrote:
    >
    >>hi everybody
    >>
    >>does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    >>symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
    >>mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >>
    >>in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
    >>that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >>
    >>thanks much

    Thats funny. ZA 5 passed with flying colours for me.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    I run McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and Virus Scan 8. I received a "pass"
    for all five scans.

    --

    -Jesse

    http://www.pixelpages.net/conservativemind

    Disclaimer: Spelling & grammar errors are made on purpose for those who are
    fulfilled by correcting others.


    "sharon" <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns95018B26881D3123234abc@203.109.252.31...
    > hi everybody
    >
    > does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    > symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
    > personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    > in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
    > only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >
    > thanks much
  16. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    hi

    thank you everyone. based on your information, i will do some more
    testings.


    rgds
  17. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    hi

    i have a simple system connected to the internet via 56k modem. nothing
    fancy. thanks for your information.

    rgds

    > how do you connect to the internet - it could be that it is not your
    > computer which responds but your router or something.
    >
  18. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:33:32 +0000 (UTC), sharon wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > thank you everyone. based on your information, i will do some more
    > testings.

    This might be old news to you, your ISP might filter some ports in
    their network (like, preventing you from running your own spam-relay
    by blocking inbound SMTP-connections to your host) meaning whatever
    you configure in your firewall, some ports will always be "closed".

    You could try running some sniffing software (ethereal is nice) while
    doing the scan, looking for SYN packets to the ports you suspect
    might suffer from the above.



    - Eirik
    --
    New and exciting signature!
  19. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > >If the JavaScript is disabled then why do you say your ZoneAlarm has
    passed.
    >
    > Because the site was unable to detect any vulnerabilities.
    >
    Sorry, but you have missed the point. Without the JavaScript all the tests
    needed to complete the cycle couldn't have been done. Instead, the web site
    has done only the tests that it could do and reported that all have passed.
    But what about the other tests. Just because the JavaScript has been
    disabled, it doesn't mean that your machine is not vulnerable and that the
    other tests are pointless. It just means that the web site couldn't fully
    test for the most common points of entry. It's a bit like saying a suspect
    has no weapons because an officer has only searched the upper body and found
    none.

    BTW I have JavaScript disabled as well as ActiveX. My firewall allows me to
    select certain sites to enable theses 'dangerous entities' and disabled in
    others. Don't know if ZoneAlarm has such a facility
  20. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    >BTW I have JavaScript disabled as well as ActiveX. My firewall allows me to
    >select certain sites to enable theses 'dangerous entities' and disabled in
    >others. Don't know if ZoneAlarm has such a facility

    Can't say about ZoneAlarm, but IE has such a facility.
    --
    Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
  21. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    I have a Linksys WRT54G router and use Zone Alarm Pro. My system
    passed Norton's test.


    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 03:59:20 +0000 (UTC), sharon
    <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote:

    >hi everybody
    >
    >does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
    >symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
    >personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
    >
    >in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
    >only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
    >
    >thanks much
Ask a new question

Read More

Firewalls Norton Networking