any firewall that passes norton's test?

sharon

hi everybody

does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
personal firewall. neither can pass the test.

in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
only a hardware firewall can pass this test?

thanks much

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 03:59:20 +0000 (UTC), sharon
<sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote:

>hi everybody
>
>does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
>symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
>personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>
>in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
>only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>
>thanks much

What was the part of the test that failed?

sharon <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote in

> hi everybody
>
> does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
> symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
> mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>
> in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
> that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?

One has to know what he or she is doing with a product, like configuring it
properly.

Duane :)

sharon wrote:
| hi everybody
|
| does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
| symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
| mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
|
| in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
| that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
|
| thanks much

WinXP Pro Sp1, ZA Pro, The Cleaner Anti Tojan ,Etrust Antivirus.
Passed everything except the Antivirus part.
What a piece of feeces.

*Scan Results:*
The scanner did not detect recent virus definitions on your computer.

I use Etrust EZ antivirus v6.2.0.28 and is up-to-date with yesterday's
date.

--
S.S.

sharon

hi

the first test fails. the telnet port and another port cannot be closed.
the computer always responds to a ping.

rgds

> What was the part of the test that failed?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:13:48 -0400, StarScripter spoketh

>sharon wrote:
>| hi everybody
>|
>| does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
>| symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
>| mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>|
>| in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
>| that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>|
>| thanks much
>
>WinXP Pro Sp1, ZA Pro, The Cleaner Anti Tojan ,Etrust Antivirus.
>Passed everything except the Antivirus part.
>What a piece of feeces.
>
>*Scan Results:*
>The scanner did not detect recent virus definitions on your computer.
>
>I use Etrust EZ antivirus v6.2.0.28 and is up-to-date with yesterday's
>date.

You have to keep in mind that this is essentially a sales tool
camouflaged as a security tool...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Where is the test located on Symantec's site? I could not find it....

--

-Jesse

http://www.pixelpages.net/conservativemind

Disclaimer: Spelling & grammar errors are made on purpose for those who are
fulfilled by correcting others.

"sharon" <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
> hi everybody
>
> does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
> symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
> personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>
> in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
> only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>
> thanks much

> My ZoneAlarm Free version passes just fine, in fact since I don't browse
> with javascript enabled, the Symantec test tucks its tail and refuses to
> even run. ;-)

If the JavaScript is disabled then why do you say your ZoneAlarm has passed.
Without the JavaScript the test can't complete the entire cycle.

Btw hackers don't need JavaScript to hack a machine

> One has to know what he or she is doing with a product, like configuring
it
> properly.

Not everybody is a security expert or understand ActiveX and JavaScripts

In article <Xns95018B26881D3123234abc@203.109.252.31>, sharon@dontspamme.com
says...
> hi everybody
>
> does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
> symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
> personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>
> in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
> only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>
> thanks much

Outpost pro passes it fine.
me

sharon wrote:
> hi everybody
>
> does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
> symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
> mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>
> in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
> that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>
> thanks much

Win2K with Outpost PF passed.

I started thinking something odd was going on in
comp.security.firewalls when one foggy november evening sharon
<sharon@dontspamme.com> came into my office and told me:

> hi
>
> the first test fails. the telnet port and another port cannot be
> closed. the computer always responds to a ping.

Any of those firewalls would have warned you of a ping or telnet
attempt and asked you if you want to block it or not, if it didnt
then the ping and telnet connection were responded to by something
one step before your machine.

how do you connect to the internet - it could be that it is not your
computer which responds but your router or something.

--
Iphigenie

http://www.iphi.net

BlackHeart

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

StarScripter wrote:

> sharon wrote:
> | hi everybody
> |
> | does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
> | symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
> | mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
> |
> | in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
> | that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
> |
> | thanks much
>
> WinXP Pro Sp1, ZA Pro, The Cleaner Anti Tojan ,Etrust Antivirus.
> Passed everything except the Antivirus part.
> What a piece of feeces.
>
> *Scan Results:*
> The scanner did not detect recent virus definitions on your computer.
>
> I use Etrust EZ antivirus v6.2.0.28 and is up-to-date with yesterday's
> date.

You are correct. Etrust EZ antivirus IS a piece of feces.

Smiling Wickedly, ClareOldie answered, In the year 6/8/2004 1:17 PM:

> sharon wrote:
>
>>hi everybody
>>
>>does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
>>symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and
>>mcafee personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>>
>>in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be
>>that only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>>
>>thanks much

Thats funny. ZA 5 passed with flying colours for me.

I run McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and Virus Scan 8. I received a "pass"
for all five scans.

--

-Jesse

http://www.pixelpages.net/conservativemind

Disclaimer: Spelling & grammar errors are made on purpose for those who are
fulfilled by correcting others.

"sharon" <sharon@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
> hi everybody
>
> does anyone know of a software firewall that can pass norton's test.
> symantec has a test on their website. i have tested zonealarm and mcafee
> personal firewall. neither can pass the test.
>
> in fact, even norton's personal firewall fails the test. could it be that
> only a hardware firewall can pass this test?
>
> thanks much

sharon

hi

i have a simple system connected to the internet via 56k modem. nothing
fancy. thanks for your information.

rgds

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:33:32 +0000 (UTC), sharon wrote:
> hi
>
> thank you everyone. based on your information, i will do some more
> testings.

This might be old news to you, your ISP might filter some ports in
their network (like, preventing you from running your own spam-relay
by blocking inbound SMTP-connections to your host) meaning whatever
you configure in your firewall, some ports will always be "closed".

You could try running some sniffing software (ethereal is nice) while
doing the scan, looking for SYN packets to the ports you suspect
might suffer from the above.

- Eirik
--
New and exciting signature!

> >If the JavaScript is disabled then why do you say your ZoneAlarm has
passed.

> Because the site was unable to detect any vulnerabilities.

Sorry, but you have missed the point. Without the JavaScript all the tests
needed to complete the cycle couldn't have been done. Instead, the web site
has done only the tests that it could do and reported that all have passed.
But what about the other tests. Just because the JavaScript has been
disabled, it doesn't mean that your machine is not vulnerable and that the
other tests are pointless. It just means that the web site couldn't fully
test for the most common points of entry. It's a bit like saying a suspect
has no weapons because an officer has only searched the upper body and found
none.

BTW I have JavaScript disabled as well as ActiveX. My firewall allows me to
select certain sites to enable theses 'dangerous entities' and disabled in
others. Don't know if ZoneAlarm has such a facility

>BTW I have JavaScript disabled as well as ActiveX. My firewall allows me to
>select certain sites to enable theses 'dangerous entities' and disabled in
>others. Don't know if ZoneAlarm has such a facility

Can't say about ZoneAlarm, but IE has such a facility.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

AJAX

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and use Zone Alarm Pro. My system
passed Norton's test.