Sign in with
Your question

Devices Not Showing in "Safely Remove Hardware"

Last response: in Windows 7
November 3, 2010 8:15:59 AM

Hello,
Hi All

First post!

Just got windows 7 32-bit...having a few problems.....

One I'm stuck on is that no devices are being shown in the Safely Remove Hardware Dialogue box. I know I have a device in..it's my MP3 player which I have just copied songs over too and I can play them.

There is no icon in the systems tray either. I then looked around the web and found a page showing how to create a shortcut on the desktop to activate the dialogue box. Point target to ":C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll"

Created it, got the box up but no devices showing in it when the mp3 player was plugged in. Pulled out the mp3 player without removing safely first as didn't know how....not ideal.

Any help please? Think i may be a few times with windows 7.....

Cheers
Steve
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2010 5:32:36 PM

If your mp3 player is non running in usb mass storage(UMS) mode, it will not need to be safe removed.

Creative Zen for instance runs in PMP(portable Media Player) mode and does not have a safe remove option. It does not even play files off the player in the normal sense, but instead copies to a temp folder on the computer(or in some apps it can buffer off the player it self) to play files. It plays them off the player when you use the player.

You should not have to worry about this.

Some players have an option to set UMS. If not just copy to it and disconnect.

If you buy some from some music sites, you may need to keep the player in PMP mode for the songs to work anyway.
June 26, 2011 6:09:25 PM

Im having the same exact issue. Difference is my Flash Drive and my external HDD wont show up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog box. I've searched and searched the net for an answer but no one seems to have one. This is really frustrating. I've uninstalled and re-installed the driver per instruction by one site, I've removed the PastIconStream file in TrayNotify in Regedt in accordance with another site, I've also change the Policies of each to "Optimize for Performance", and I've tried a few other things IAW other sites but in the end I've just pulled my hair out because nothing seems to provide me with a solution to why my HDD or my Flash Drive are not showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog box. Please I beg someone to help...... :( 
Related resources
June 26, 2011 6:13:42 PM

On a side note which I forgot to put into my reply...since the drives do not show in dialog box, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is also not present on the task bar notification area. I can Eject the drive from My Computer, and I can Read/Write to each of the drives without issue so I know that it's recognizing them as drives but Windows simply will not show them in the Safely Remove area....??
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2011 10:00:46 PM

I have used this on a system that does not have the safe remove option(for some reason, Intel H55 drivers take away safe remove on sata ports) for its e-sata ports. works with usb as well.

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm
June 27, 2011 12:23:37 AM

Thank you but my issue is not that i cannot safely remove the drives, it's that there is no drive listed in the SRH dialog box, nor is there an icon for it on the Task Bar either. I'm a man of perfectionism and I can't stand this one thing not working like it should on my pc. I have Windows XP 32bit SP3 btw if that helps...
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2011 12:49:55 AM

I am not sure what it is to be honest. I have never had that with USB devices(With exception to my Zen as it is PMP not UMS)

Hotswap! should let you do what windows is not. It is a stand alone program that can just placed in a programs file folder and it will run with the system.
December 13, 2013 5:38:48 AM

I had the same problem with USB devices not showing up in the safely remove hardware interface!
I only encountered this problem with the two USB 2.0 ports at the front of my PC case.
When I plugged in a USB device in a port on the motherboard or in a USB 3.0 port in front of the case the device did show up normal.

I connected the cable of the front USB 2.0 port to another USB header on the motherboard, now these port are working fine too!
Maybe this helps!
February 4, 2014 6:21:44 PM

Windows Vista/7 does not need clicking on the 'Safely Remove hardware and Eject Media' anymore, every time you unplug the device, unless you have changed the default setting. Before removing the device, make sure all windows related to USB are closed, wait for some time and unplug it. For more information, visit ' http://www.techonestop.in/2014/02/usb-drive-not-showing...' --- www.techonestop.in

!